• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by carl.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 2nd hand boxxers..which ones?
  • slowrider
    Free Member

im looking to build a cheapish big hit bike so looking at 2nd hand boxxers, are there any to look out for or avoid? ta!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Get some '06-'09 Teams or Races.

funkynick

I'm so glad this isn't about boxer shorts…

IGMC..

ahwiles
    Free Member

mine, they're 7 years old, only a bit scuffed, but basically ok…

7" travel.

mojo cartridge – this one works!

i'll accept £500 – anyone?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

£500 for 7 year old forks???? I got a 4 year old frame + 888s for £400 last year……

ahwiles
    Free Member

Paul, i'd turn up the gain on your sarcasm detector… 🙂

slowrider: personally, i'd avoid older forks with pinch bolts instead of a maxle, small threads in magnesium can be a little delicate and easily stripped.

the cheaper Race models are very good, you don't need the separate high/low speed compression damping you'd get with mission control damping. it's good, but if you're not going to fiddle with it every ride, you don't really need it.

don't worry about 'only' having 32mm stanchions, they're fine. really. if anything the newer boxxers are bit more delicate – cos the legs and stanchions have very thin walls in places…

tracknicko
    Free Member

smaller legs wasnt a problem for us until the mags etc. said we needed bigger ones. dont beleive the hype regarding stiffness, flex etc.

last generation coil boxxers will see you right.

avoid world cups as the air issues arent really worth the hassle.

slowrider
    Free Member

what year did they switch to maxle?

ta

tracknicko
    Free Member

2007…

i think.

ahwiles
    Free Member

good guess Nicko – a quick search for spares says that the maxle you can buy now is compatible back to 2006.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

'06 onwards for maxle, leaky moco, tight bushings and breaky stanchions. Oh and the odd broken set of lowers. Do feel good when they work though.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

some one's old crusties? you must be joking

*always* buy new boxxers

😛

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

03 Races (the first year that did the Race/Team/etc) were pants

danridesbikes
    Free Member

2001 cherry red ones, has there been better?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

ahwiles, there's no evidence of any sarcasm in your post, just posting something that's a bit ridiculous doesn't count! People say stupid stuff on the internet everyday!

slowrider
    Free Member

very helpful, thanks. those new ones are tempting!

steveh

I'd say races are the ones to go for on a budget build. The suspension action isn't quite as good and you do get some spiking in the compression stroke sometimes but they are a lot more reliable. This is especially true of the later forks with the control damping and floodgate adjuster.

Militant_biker

I've got some 06 Boxxer Rides (7" with U-Turn) kicking around if you're interested? Got them TFT'd last year, new Motion Control damper fitted, then the bike broke so they never got ridden again.

Apparently you can convert them to Teams with a new spring assembly and top cap – or so I've been told.

Conor
    Free Member

You should be able to pick up some 08 or 09 Boxxer Teams for about £300. Quality fork. Just got a pair for my Socom.

neilforrow

slowrider – way i looked at it was: if i got a 2nd hand set, i would be unsure about their condition and the the problems listed above… then I would want to get then serviced… (cost)

I got £175 for my old fork…

and its nice to have a bit on 'new' in your life…

carl
    Free Member

I have an 04 set of teams im wanting to sell.They were serviced by tf tuned before use and ive ridden 10 times with them.The thing is although they are 04 they were bought brand new in september 09.

Have a new bike now so thats the reason for sale.Looking for a decent offer around 180.mail me for pics if you want.

cheers

Carl

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand boxxers..which ones?’ is closed to new replies.