Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29er's in the lakes…
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

are there any??

Was up in the lakes at the weekend (grizdale/hawkshead). Was chatting to the guy in the bike shop about routes and bikes. He said you just don’t see any 29’ers up in the lakes. They had a few demo bikes but they just couldn’t take the pounding (broken spokes). (they no longer stock 29ers)

I think he was basically saying they were for southern shandy drinking riders with non rocky descents

I must admit i didn’t say any that day but that don’t mean owt

Clink

Really?!? I’m sure for some routes 29er might be more appropriate but something like a Rumblefish, Turner Sultan, Niner RIP etc I would have thought would thrive in such rocky conditions?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Did you say “rocky descents”???? For god’s sake man, you shouldn’t be doing that on a push bike, you could end up hurting yourself. 😀

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

definitely impossible to ride a 29er in the lakes (also seemingly impossible to take good photos 🙁 )

SS too… also impossible in the lakes.

partyboy
    Free Member

Don’t feed the troll, he is obviously a bit retarded if he believes that pap. 🙄

trickydisco
    Free Member

Course I don’t believe this pap!

it’s not me saying it!!! Was just surprised what the guy said in the bike shop that was all (don’t think he liked them at all)

chainslapp
    Free Member

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’m looking forward to getting my 29er (the SS above) out here to the alps this summer… 29er down Pleny? ace 8)

Keef
    Free Member

what is this ’29er’ thing,of which you speak ?

clubber
    Free Member

Well this nicely backs up my ‘bike shops say stupid things’ comments on the anti-CRC thread.

Broken spokes – bad build. It’d be the rims that’d break if they really weren’t up to it.

MrTall
    Free Member

I rode my Salsa Big Mama down plenty of rocky descents in the lakes last summer and it didn’t miss a beat.

I also got down a lot faster than many of my group mincing down on full carbon 26″ FS bikes so read into that what you will.

I’m over 16st kitted out and have only ever broken 29er spokes on one cheap rear wheel, all the others have been spot on, despite me plowing through obstacles rather than using style and grace to glide through…

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

I live in the lakes & swap between riding my Lapierre Spicy and a rigid Singular Swift with alfine gears for a bit of contrast. 29ers certainly aren’t common but are they common anywhere in the UK?

keavo
    Free Member

i think he was basically saying is… its too much hassle to stock 29ers so we’ll try to sell everybody who’s interested a 26er instead.

foxypolo
    Free Member

No probs on my rigid Salsa Mamasita. Much more fun without the bounce!

wool

Plenty of 29er action here in the Lakes, out most days on mine 80mm travel hardtail in the front of the pack on most rides. All the big routes now done so don’t worry what your riding it all works if you want it to.
    Just enjoy!

ton

done the 3 passes on my ventana
    and helvelyn and skiddaw.

traildog
    Free Member

I know a guy who lives and rides very regularly in the lakes and has a 29er and I’ve seen a few around. Mind you, I am surprised how few are stocked in shops, and getting a test ride isn’t always as easy as I’d like. I’m quite curious about the whole 29 thing..

tk46hal
    Free Member

Get one, you will not regret it!

boxelder

I live in the lakes and ride a 29er without spoke issues. have broken a few 26er wheels over time though. planet fear in keswick sell singular and have a swift to demo. thread should read “numpty shop staff at grizedale.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29er's in the lakes…’ is closed to new replies.