• This topic has 68 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • 24 Hours in A&E
  • Drac

It started a new series tonight. Best TV show there is but even I’m a wreck now, 26 years working frontline and it still pulls you through all the emotions. 😥

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Drac – you see the head huggers – in all the 24hrs in A&E progs I’ve seen they have fitted them velcro side up, but when I was trained to use them it was always velcro side down. Any ideas why they do it velcro side up?

wallop

One of the few things on telly worth watching.

Bucko

@wanmankylung, it’s because those people are on a scoop stretcher and they simply fit better that way up

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Thanks.

TiRed

Lay in one of those beds in the corner after my accident and was treated by the staff in the series. It wasn’t on film. A bit too close to home for me.

Drac

Yup that’s why. They were bought when we used stupid spinal boards for transportation, now we’re using scoops or nothing we have to adapt.

Yeah Tired I bet. That is part of the problem with me tonight. It reminds me of when we nearly lost my Dad.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

We have access to spinal boards and scoops – the senior medics at the club always go for the spinal boards. What’s the benefit of the scoop for suspected spinal injuries?

v8ninety

No/minimal log rolling. Loads better. Plus who actually has a dead straight spine? Mines a nice S shape, me. Long boards; daft things used in the absense of anything better. Occasionally useful as an extraction device, but we don’t do that as much as we used to either.

And a little bit of advice to all those budding immobilisers out there, upside down blocks is okay, but using them the right way up but on opposite sides is betterer…

Drac

V8 pretty much covers it. No one has a straight spine, the scoop allows you to lift them pretty much in the position they are in.

We removed spinal boards from routine use nearly 4 years ago now before that they were, as V8 says, occasionally used for extraction but we’re moving/moved away from that too.

HEMS have a good clear policy that you may find useful.

http://www.ukhems.co.uk/Packaging.pdf

TomB

If you google the Faculty of Prehospital Care consensus guidelines on immobilisation, you will see a clear recommendation against the use of the longboard, except to facilitate extrication, along with the reasoning.

Drac

Tonight’s already looking good.

onehundredthidiot

So scoop is the spinal equivalent of bind it like you find it.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

A bit yes. It’s more that it takes less movement to get the punter onto it.

BTW I asked why our medics like to use the spinal boards – they dont trust our scoops to take the weight of a rugby player and not break.

Drac

Yup they lift pretty much as the patient is lying.

BTW I asked why our medics like to use the spinal boards – they dont trust our scoops to take the weight of a rugby player and not break.

They won’t.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I doubt that they would either – I’ve not looked at the weight limit on them but they certainly sag a lot when the heaviest players are on them.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

We’ve got a few big lumps that’ll potentially be over that. Former pro props and second rows.

Probably explains why the spinal board has a 1000lb weight limit.

Drac

Ferno ones have the same weight limit as the scoops.

Drac

Aye that’s the Bari version.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Who’d have thunk that the A&E consultant knew what he was buying? 😀

paul4stones

I know why but I did smile wryly when scooped having cycled home then been driven in and walked into emergency care. 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

Great to see him standing..

Drac

How **** awesome was that.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

More jam than Hartleys.

Drac

One thing.

There was 4 people who I hope were watching tonight’s episode so they could see what utter waste of time they were on an A&E department.

lowey

Staggering. That lad was bent in two amongst other injuries. Totally in awe of the NHS emergency care.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

There was 4 people who I hope were watching tonight’s episode so they could see what utter waste of time they were on an A&E department.

Aye – gloves dont cost anything too.

Drac

Getting myself comfy for the next hour.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Get off the phone you fud.

Drac

Not easy the night with having 2 girls.

legolam
    Free Member

It’s the old people’s stories that always get me. Love this show.

GrahamS

How can they film for 24 hours?

That nice Mr Hunt says they all go home at 6.

Drac

If you watch the on demand you’ll see that after 6 it’s just the cleaners and shelf stackers.

hugo
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads-up. This is wonderful TV – there’s nothing more powerful than reality.

Drac

Some of the best TV there’s been I never miss an episode.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve not been watching the past few series, OH being a doctor means it’s a bit close to work to get on the TV, but there was a moment in one of the early episodes which has really stuck with me as one of the most touching TV moments I can remember. An very nice old chap had come to hospital with his wife who was, sadly, dying. He was holed up in the relatives’ room on his own, leafing through the pamphlets when he picked up one about, I think, teenage drug abuse which caught his eye and pocketed it in that weird detached way that you do in the surreality that hospital waiting rooms afford you. Immediately afterwards they came in and informed him that his wife had died and I think I had a bit of a dusty moment.

Drac

I love it despite being my work.

Yeah it’s scenes like that which make it both compelling and extremely emotional.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘24 Hours in A&E’ is closed to new replies.