Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 24-32-42 on a 9 speed drivetrain?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Bit late to be asking this as I’ve already turned them down (needed to get the guy a decision) but I am still curious…

I normally run bog standard 22-32-44 with an 11-32 cassette.

Yes I admit I use the granny when tired on steep climbs but I was wondering if 24-32-42 (off a 10 speed chainset) would be an improvement or would it just be a waste of time as it adds another level of gearing overlap?

I like the idea of smaller chainring jumps for smoother front shifting but I have only used bottom spec rings which seem to have much deeper and pointier teeth than the ones found on SLX and higher. Do the SLX and XT shift a lot nicer?

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a full 10spd XT setup on my full sus bike with the 24/32/42 chainrings. Whatever the reason is, front shifting is noticeably better than with the previous (still XT) 9spd setup with 22/32/44 chainrings.

Whether or not it makes as much sense to use with a 9spd setup only you can answer as it does indeed mean theres probably more duplicated ratios, but certainly it works well with the 10spd setup.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got 24-32-44 with 12-27 on three of my bikes and have had no issues at all.
    I’ve got Blackspire SuperPro chainrings which seem very good. Get on with them much better than Raceface and they last loads longer than XT.
    Best I’ve found were Talon XCRs but they’ve stopped making them.

andyl
    Free Member

hmm. Cheers for the replies, maybe I should have said yes. Do you find yourself less apprehensive to shift up front?

sebgt
    Free Member

I use 24-32-42 on a 9speed 11-34, do find front shifting is better and I find the big ring more useable with the 2 less teeth, also when shifting from middle to big you only need one or two compensation shifts at the back instead of three or four. A worth while change/upgrade

teadrinker
    Free Member

Hi Andy

I’m in no rush to sell these, so if you want them there all yours. Just dropped you mail saying that though. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘24-32-42 on a 9 speed drivetrain?’ is closed to new replies.