• This topic has 281 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 282 total)
  • 2018 Road Racing
  • crosshair
    Free Member

Grrrr!

crosshair
    Free Member

Stupid forum!

crosshair
    Free Member

I give up! Cold and wet!

crosshair
    Free Member

My memories of last season at Abingdon were pretty bleak. Wide expanses of windswept nothingness with harsh conditions and a face-full of grit! But still, after my result at Christmas, I was hoping to be at the pointy end of things.

The lazy winds that go through you rather than around you were not present but the conditions were actually worse than anything I faced last year and it was only the presence of a few friendly faces that made it seem worthwhile being there.

Leigh was there with one eye on the clock for a speedy return to work, Chris from Southampton was there looking crazily lean! He’d lost 2 stone since Thruxton and rode a great race. Pete from Condor’s was there with a few team mates and he only needed the one point to get his Cat 3- which he did with a suspected fifth place.

I was not feeling the love! A week off the bike following a half-arsed Sweetspot Base 2 block left me uncertain of my fitness. I wanted to go though to get back into the swing of racing though as I have high hopes for Hillingdon next Saturday.

Being fat, I am lucky to not really feel the cold. My gamekeeper mates joke that they wear more on the beach in Egypt than I do on a freezing December but I slipped up today! I didn’t take my clothing seriously enough. With just my skinsuit on (plus arm and leg warmers) and a 23mph jetwash of spray being levelled at my face, I was not prepared for the drop in my core temperature.

As the race got underway, I felt completely alien in the bunch. 6 weeks away had robbed me of my sharpness in the bunch and it was taking way more concentration than usual to hold a wheel. The first lap was slow and as we ramped up through the second, I was not enjoying myself. Relating back to the ‘How bad do you want it?’ mindset of December, I began to fantasise about a puncture or a snapped chain! Right now, what I badly wanted was to be anywhere else.

Shaking myself out of it, it was time for some Rule 5 and I made my way forward with ease just as a couple of guys were stringing things out. At this point at least my situational awareness was still well tuned if nothing else!

RPE was odd this race. At times, 180w felt like 500 and at others, 400+ felt like a breeze. This was one of those times and I just carried my momentum forward to join the break attempt and then powered off the front. Another Condor rider and myself got a small gap and pressed on. I took a turn down the main drag and sat on 380-410w whilst he freewheeled to avoid running into me lol. As we rounded the bend, it was clear he didn’t want to work and we re-joined the bunch.

My HR only reached 173 max today and that lap at 340w average was only 165bpm- a sure sign something wasn’t right and I think basically my body was too busy keeping warm to give me what I needed to drill it.

Anyway, recovering as best I could, things plummeted from here. My moral was awful as I struggled to see over my glasses and through the spray. Nothing exciting happened. I alternated between tail gunning and the front third of the bunch just chilling out (literally!) in the bunch and following the occasional surge.

By this time, I couldn’t feel any of my lower legs or hands and cornering was an odd sensation of trusting muscle memory. There was no feedback at all to gauge grip or angle, just a hope thing’s would work out and that people would hold their line.

Eventually the three to go was called and I was worried about how I felt. I was half way to being spaced out I think and I seriously considered pulling over now. But the adrenaline kicked in and perked us all up a bit and the bunch strung out a little then slowed and so on. Two to go and I considered a flier. The pack wasn’t inspiring confidence and it was only 8-10minutes of effort right? I tried to remember my 8minute power and compare that with my earlier solo lap but it was useless- my brain was flat out dealing with the bunch to even consider recalling useful information or do basic maths.

I decided against it and thought I’d see what happens instead. Bell lap then and I made my way forwards. A small train on the front surged and I hoped we would get a gap. But no, they were all hedging for the sprint and each little effort soon sizzled out. Onto the huge long straight and the bunch surged around me and the riding became hairy. Someone behind leant against my rear triangle hard with either their wheel or fork. I was being forced over but luckily my excess baggage kept us planted and luckily a guy on the outside of me realised what was going on and gave me space. Somehow we all stayed up!

That was it for me. Mentally I was now out of it. I didn’t want anything other than to get off of my bike. So I powered to the front and tried to ride off. Of course, everyone else had their blood up and I was just fuelling a lead out. At least I had plenty of room for the final corner though and as we tipped in, I ran wide and let them past. I had neither the motivation or the energy for a bunch sprint and I tagged on to the back of the bunch and covered my brakes waiting for a pile up! Luckily it never came and everyone stayed upright.

Suddenly, I realised I was FUBAR’d and I started shivering. I caught up with Chris to chat our way back to the car park but we could barely talk. Joe was back there and kindly offered to buy me a coffee. I had the Landy today which takes about an hour to warm up so I tried to get changed whilst simultaneously shivering like mad and revving the tits off of it to try and get some heat going.

Eventually I fumbled myself into warm clothes and had a semi-delirious conversation with Joe as I shivered black coffee all over my arm and the floor!!

Anyway, we survived and stayed upright so that the main thing! Lessons have been learned and if I race in conditions like that again, I’ll make sure I have better kit.

Well done to everyone who survived- especially to Leigh for being in there at the pointy end when it mattered!

crosshair
    Free Member

Ruuuubish! It pasted the un-edited one full of stupid sentences 😡😡

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Andy,
    I reckon you could do an exciting write up about a walk around tesco…love it!
    The local boys have reviewed the tapes and think I had 9th…I’ll try not to get too excited until I see it somewhere official though!
    Also if that was you feeling rough…I’m worried for later races when you are feeling good!! (Gulp!)

crosshair
    Free Member

Awesome!!!! Fingers crossed for you mate- that would be fantastic  🤞🏻🤞🏻

Lol! It’s all irrelevant when I coast in behind the bunch 🤦🏻‍♂️

I want another long year of racing mind you so discretion is still the best policy and I felt very freaked out after that guy leant on me!!

Nah- there’s loads of stuff I edited to fix that really bug me like saying ‘in the bunch’ twice in one sentence 😡🤣

TiRed

Well done. Was absolutely, unbelievably freezing yesterday. After two weeks off due to illness, I’ve deferred Winter Series racing until some form of fitness returns. Going better, but not faster. Almost back up to base mileage target (400lm/week). Then some Saturday afternoon interval sessions at Hillingdon.

I run a training session called riding in contact with another rider. Adults are normally completely freaked out. Kids absolutely love it!

curto80
    Free Member

Crosshair you have a real gift for writing, I feel like I was there with you. Awesome.

Anyone doing Thruxton in a couple of weeks? My first ever attempt at a Cat 4 so wouldn’t mind a few friendly places to help me through…

crosshair
    Free Member

Thanks Curto! Yep, I’ll be there.  Probably in the 4ths still but let’s wait and see 🤞🏻

It generally all comes down to the small rise up to the chicane on the last lap- big 1 min Power for that finale is king at Thruxton.

Super well done to Leigh with a 9th place and first point- anyone contesting that sprint after such a tough race deserves all the rewards they get 👍🏻👍🏻

crosshair
    Free Member

It had felt like a long week! With hindsight, last race was a catalogue of errors and the thought of it was frustrating me. Still, this is a journey after all and these things are only a waste of time if I don’t learn from them.

The first thing to cure was my gear. Whilst my skinsuit is super comfy and makes me feel fast just by looking down at the Castelli badges- it was not ideal for the torrential and freezing conditions at Abingdon!

Heading to Decathalon, I filled my basket with some things to make life a little more bearable should I face such weather again. I needed options, so I grabbed an aero base layer. This would fit nicely under my skinsuit and help stop me freezing quite so much- even if it wouldn’t keep me any drier.

For training and real wet races, I also picked up a thick fluorescent jersey too. With an integral snood, it was really comfy if a little bulky perhaps.

Combined with the stuff I already had, this gave me a load of options from Skinsuit best case scenario through to base layer + jersey + thick winter jersey for proper arctic stuff. I also grabbed a fresh pair of overshoes and a cracking set of BTwin 4 lens glasses. My existing clear glasses were several years old and covered in scratches as well as being prone to misting up resulting in the librarian look as I peered over the top of them.

Fingers crossed it would all sit in the box unused though as the forecast was quite good all week.

My appraisal of last weeks ride was that I was like a bull in a china shop. Aware that points are now mine for the losing, I wasted energy left right and centre, followed silly suicide moves and then bugged out the second things looked hairy. Along with my poor gear choices, rubbish position and supressed HR, it was a bad show all round and I felt I had wasted another entry fee.

Another problem was the way I ride. As I’m sure you have twigged by now, I can’t switch my brain off. I overthink everything to the extreme. Thus the 1.5mile course (as opposed to the 0.9 one of last year) meant any reference I had to lap times was blown. I also had a subtle mistake on my home screen on the Garmin- instead of Time I had Lap Time left over from some intervals. With Autolap being triggered by position, I never knew how far into the race I was- so felt totally blind with regards to pacing.

I hoped that just by rectifying this list of errors this week, I could execute my plan with precision. I won’t lie- I wanted to win. Since I found out I couldn’t race in January, this was the one I had set my sights on. With Hillingdon feeling like my second home and so many laps under my belt, strategizing was so much easier.

As the week wore on, the forecast gradually deteriorated and I made sure every eventuality was present in the race box when I loaded up.

Warming up, I settled on wearing the thick jersey alone. It was just about the right choice I think as the weather was awful again mid-race- as wet as last week if a touch milder. It wasn’t until the water came in through the soles of my shoes that my feet got wet which was a vast improvement on the sock balloons of last week!

It was really windy. The wind speed is always a couple of MPH faster than the forecast there and today was no exception. It was a tailwind down the start finish straight and coming down the hill on the reverse side, 18mph was taking 270w!!! I know MrBlobby laughs at my lack of aero’s but trying to ram 90kg through the air is an oft-forgotten downside to the power that comes with it.

My plan all week was to replicate the last lap flier that earned me 5th place in December. I have literally been channelling every spare moment’s thought into perfectly executing that final blast. My HR was going up just thinking about it last night and I had visualised it to the point that I almost knew every pedal stroke required.

Arriving on the line in my BTwin garb, I felt like I was in disguise a little! Some familiar faces were there including a London Dynamo guy from the no-points race in early December who was in one of the pics with me. He’d unwittingly helped me through an interval session or two in the meantime (I have a slideshow of inspiring race pics on my iPad for the real killers!) and it was reassuring having a known wheel or two to tag onto.

I had a chat with a nice South African guy during warm up who was there for the first time. If only I’d known how prophetic my description of a typical Hillingdon race would be, I’d have told him something different!!

Rolling up to the line, conditions were worsening and I felt snug in my snood. Everything was in place, Caffeine gel popped, Garmin reset and started and a plan to follow. Let’s go!

In for the long haul, I was right at the back in the little chainring. Flying Zwift-esque starts seem to be more of a US Crit thing and other than Nath messing around and one other occasion where two guys TT’d from the line to victory, I had never seen anything other than nice relaxed beginnings to a Hillingdon race. Uh, that’ll learn me then!! A couple of juniors and everyone else in the vicinity drilled it from the off!! Straight away three of them had a gap and they even got a bit of through and off going.

Last week, I’d have been sprinting across and trying to play but this was doomed right? Stick to the plan. The brutal headwind meant a bunch sprint-out was the most likely outcome and everyone knew it. This meant my surprise attack could work well.

Two laps or so later (I often realise I was a lap or two out on my guesses when I check the Fly-by but close enough for the gist of the story hopefully) and I was wondering whether this was more serious! Worthy of a bridge perhaps? Someone shouted the gap to us as being 9 seconds. But every time I tried to move up, I found I had very little advantage today. A quick pre-race Strava stalk had revealed some stiff competition. Almost all of the 18 pre-entries had a 2018 point and many had finished well at Hillingdon. Perhaps Pete had the right idea with his 9 December/January races to score the required points after all and I became further annoyed at my lack of racing in January!

The laps would pan out in the same fashion, it would bunch up into the tough headwind down the hill and then be strung out going crazy on the long straight! There was little chance of moving up here today and in fact, it would often take me 350w to just hold the wheel!

A brave junior tried to bridge across but his little legs couldn’t outrun the bunch and we all ended up back together- including the original break.

For the next few laps it was pretty surgey and I felt worked but in control. I never really moved up though. The front few seemed to be going hard all the time and being in the wider part of the bunch gave such a noticeable advantage in the wind today that it seemed crazy to try and fight for it. So, I cruised and surged and chilled and coasted and kept swigging from my bottle.

A few attacks were attempted but they were all very naïve it seemed. The field was way too strong to let someone just roll off the front and once or twice guys were just hanging there at probably twice the watts but not making any progress.

With 38minutes gone, the pace had levelled off a touch and most people were beginning to consider their sprint position I’m sure. At which point, some total superstar put his head down, scrunched himself into a ball and launched himself off into the distance.

Way back in the bunch, soggy with spray and focussing on my plan, I could only watch. I usually have a small break in the plan as a viable option but I hadn’t even considered it today. It was a little early for me anyhow and I could just watch and wonder at his fate. If I’m right, he held it to the line which is great going in the conditions!

The longer he stayed away, the more certain it seemed my chance of a win was gone and so the goal shifted. Now, I just wanted good solid points. I re-focussed once more on the plan and decided not to even consider following anyone else- just get well positioned with three then two to go and launch before the line.

As the three to go sign came out, I was unsure how many were off the front. I reckon it was at least one more- meaning the sprint would be for third to tenth and the pace began to lift. Still focussing on my all-out two minute effort, I tried to be patient and hold my ground. The bunch was strung out and the customary two-to-go pause never happened. These guys were well rested and meant business.

A Thames Velo guy of around my build tried to go. Attacking into the wind down the hill with about three laps left, he swept past us and was soon ten yards clear. My move being played early? He never went any further! Despite the obvious strain going into the pedals, he was coming back to us and the bunch soon engulfed him once more! Hmmm- was that a sign?

As we rounded the last corner on the penultimate lap, things once again strung out down the wind. I was powering hard but not really gaining. No cruising down the slipstream into a natural launch today! I did a quick appreciation and realised that by the time I had reached the front and got clear, I’d be unable to sustain the pace to keep me away and I decided to postpone. I had considered this of course and in fact I mentioned to the lads on Wattsapp that if I couldn’t get clear, I’d sit back in for a last minute effort or even a proper go at a Sprint.

No panic! I felt good, was not half way to hyperthermia, had yet to burn a proper match and was feeling safer than usual in the bunch. We crossed the line at serious pace! 32mph and were nicely spaced out. Into the lee side of the rough ground through the Bus Stops though and the bunch reformed. London Dynamo were right in front of me and looked like they had a lead-out strategy. I tucked in tight behind them in a really good spot. Totally sheltered in the middle of the bunch about two rows back, I was confident I could get a better run through Brian’s than most, crest the hill in the top ten and then launch a full gas one minute effort from there. If I could reach the start finish straight remotely in the clear, the tail wind would negate much of the draft and I could hopefully have a free if intense push to the line! Game on!

And then London Dynamo wiped each other out right in front of me! Time stood still and I was glad I had finally fitted the Swisstop pads and bedded them in. With my back wheel in the air and my arms locked solid, I tried not to stare at the wheel spinning madly on its side in front of me. It was all about the bounce now and luckily the riderless bike went the other way. Coming off the brakes, I tried to get back on but the gap was too big. I kept a bit of power on right to the finish, just in case there was another crash on the main straight but thankfully they made it over in one piece.

And just like that, another week’s dreaming had come to nothing.

Oddly though, apart from the few minutes after the race when I was fuming, I enjoyed it! I love the suspense, love the planning, love the strategy, love visualising the hard efforts and then love dealing with the unfolding action that slowly unravels all of your preparation! I also love the way the intensity ramps up as time and options gradually disappear and you know it’s now or never! So despite wanting to leave Cat 4 behind more than ever- I still enjoy racing for racing’s sake- which means more heartache next week I’m sure!

As for the South African guy at the start, I said to him- “It’s usually pretty safe. Everyone generally looks out for each other until the last lap- which is 3 mph faster and causes a massive pile up!” sadly that part came true even if nothing else did!

TiRed

Well done for staying upright. Points will come, bide your time. Was feeling rubbish again this week. Seems that all the viruses I missed last year and the year before have caught up with me!

kilo

London Dynamos were probably confused being out of Richmond Park 😉

weeksy

Gulp, just entered Thruxton next Sunday!

weeksy

Trying to work out the best plan for the coming weekend.

Even though i’ve been 99% indoors this month, i’ve still racked up 1250kms for 2018 up to now. The legs are tried though that’s for sure. I’ve had 2 rest days in Feb, last Fri and the Thurs before.

I’m thinking that realistically i can’t lower my chances of completing more than 1 lap by training, but i can certainly decrease them by over-training. So planning on resting Mon-Tue, then ride on Wed, then rest Thurs/Fri/Sat….. Does that seem excessive ? Are there any potential downsides to it ?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its often a good idea to get an activation ride in the day before a race. Something like a 45 minute session with a few short intervals that aren’t enough to fatigue the body, but just get it ready for the effort ahead. Everyone has their own format but I’ve often just gone through the watt range in 5 minute 20 watt increases up to about 90% threshold and then warm down.

crosshair
    Free Member

Only a fool does the same thing and expects a different result right? With that in mind, I was certainly foolish today!
    I could literally cut and past the round 9 write up from last year.

With a huge field of circa 100 riders, it was going to be a tricky race to be in the bunch. So I spent the first five laps trying to get in a break/split. The same 10-15 riders with the same idea rotated around, each stringing things out in turn at the piece of the lap that best suited them.
    Leigh was always there or there abouts and I shouted a few ‘bend your elbows’ and other cheeky comments.
    As small gaps came and went, everyone’s spirit was gradually crushed and nobody got remotely close to an organised gap. Not one with the pace and discipline to last another 70minutes that’s for sure.

Retreating back to the bunch to get the normalised power down a little (305w already) I instantly regretted it. I didn’t feel safe at all. As is the way at Thruxton, the bunch veers from side to side often at random and it was catching a lot of people out. Watching folks blindly riding into disappearing gaps, I could only wonder at their lack of spatial awareness.
    Experience is great and all, but it also heightens the stress a little as you see accidents developing where thankfully, most don’t materialise- but only by luck!

Time to move back up! The old cornering magic at the top chicane meant I could make up fifty places and coast off the front with very little energy wasted. Positioning myself in front of the approaching riders, I was able to get back in just by accelerating as the first rider passed and passively forcing the next few off of the wheel. Simple but safe and effective.

Nothing happened for a bit. The top twenty kept rotating but with no urgency now. One theme continued- Leigh was always there- often on the front!

With 65minutes on the clock- 3 to go, a bit of positioning started and things picked up a notch. The adrenaline returned and it was time to start planning. I knew I wanted to stay off the front, stay in the top ten and end up on the right for the final time up the hill.
    Leigh was still there- drilling it!
    Not wanting to burn a match up the hill, I dropped back a little then made all the places up at the chicane again, slotting in behind Leigh.

Final lap then and a vast swarm of riders surged across the line before nearly wiping each other out through the first gradual bends. I hate it! I desperately wanted to be off the front but I don’t have 5 minutes at enough power so I had to man up and make the best of it. Leigh solved the dilemma by staying right on the front. A wise move!

Once more the chicane moved me up and I was in a good spot. However, the herd of riders who had braved the bunch all race had spare energy now and swarmed around us on the wide track.

Bollocks! I was far left and blocked in. It seemed ludicrous to drop back when the speed was so high but perhaps that would have been a better move. I hoped I would get a slot to move across as we entered the hill but it never came. As usual, the bunch headed left and it was obvious what was going to happen- so instead of powering into my finale, I was coasting and moving hard right. As I checked my blind spot, I realised I was almost at the back! Stupid boy! This has happened before.
    Anyway, too late now, so I started surfing wheels. As per round 9, it was like a 90’s Sega car racing game as slower riders appeared and I just hit left or right key to dodge through them.

My caution was vindicated though as by this point, I would have top ten on the left if I hadn’t dropped back and I heard the all too familiar clatter of bikes right where I would have been. Spidey sense? Luck? Too many Cat4 races? Who knows but it is my wedding anniversary and at least I wasn’t going to spend it in A+E!
    I pressed on, further left for a bit and then back to the right, all the time making up places. There’s Leigh! All that work on the front meant he had dropped back a little and I hoped to hitch a ride. Safely though the chicane and Go! I stayed seated and powered as best I could unsure of when to kick. It never felt worth it in the end, the 10y gap to Leigh’s wheel wasn’t closing. More keeno’s who had gone early came back to us and as we crossed the line, I already knew I was out of the points. Fingers crossed Leigh sneaked in though- you certainly deserve it mate.

So, a botched last lap in an otherwise okay race. If I was being hyper critical, I’d say I worked too hard for five laps for nothing. But the small chance of an 8 man break getting organised for the duration seemed worth the risk at the time.
    Had I spent more energy at the front on the downhill on the last lap, perhaps I would have maintained it up the other side- but we will never know!
    I was genuinely pleased with surviving unscathed which is a sad indictment of Cat 4 I guess.

More work on my FTP and 5-8minute power seems to be the way forward. Just sit tight and bugger off with one to go- regardless of the length of the circuit!

Gonna try a new venue next week too- see if I can finally get in a break that sticks!

weeksy

I went, I was rubbish.

Shorter than theirs, but then again so was my race.

Disappointed lots

curto80
    Free Member

What happened Weeksy?

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Andy,
    You too were a pretty frequent face on or very near the front as I recall..!
    Thanks mate, I don’t think there was any points for me this time though…!
    Nice to meet Weeksy, and see Joe again, I managed to miss all of you at the end of the race though!
    Still going to be working on you tripping to Cardiff CH, and hopefully will make it to odd down soon also..

mrblobby
    Free Member

I went, I was rubbish.

Shorter than theirs, but then again so was my race.

Disappointed lots

Need a bit of perspective 🙂

Had a look back in the old thread for CH’s first race last year…

“Ouch! that was tough. I got lapped 4 times and pulled off when they had 2 to go.”

Taken him a season of racing but now he’s bossing the pack and competing for points. He’s fitter but there’s a lot more to it than that. Takes time to learn how to ride efficiently in a race, to learn the flow of racing, to learn some race craft. If you enjoy it and want to get better at it then stick with it.

weeksy

Need a bit of perspective

Had a look back in the old thread for CH’s first race last year…

“Ouch! that was tough. I got lapped 4 times and pulled off when they had 2 to go.”

Taken him a season of racing but now he’s bossing the pack and competing for points. He’s fitter but there’s a lot more to it than that. Takes time to learn how to ride efficiently in a race, to learn the flow of racing, to learn some race craft. If you enjoy it and want to get better at it then stick with it.

Totally understand that buddy…. 100% i get it. Simple answer is also above… It was OK… but nothing that made me think “Yeah i want to do this more”.

If i race again this year, it will be at Southern XC, not Roadie stuff.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cool no problem. A bit of experience and you’d have done a lot better. You either get the bug or you don’t.

Hope to see you at some Southern XC rounds, may well dust off the XC bike for a few rounds this year 🙂

weeksy

A bit of experience and you’d have done a lot better

It would have been hard to do much worse 🙂

gray

Just caught up on this thread. Crosshair – thanks for your long write ups, please keep them coming, I really enjoy them. Best of luck to the rest of you too. I shall continue to live vicariously through you lot!

crosshair
    Free Member

Lol! Thanks! I’m hoping Saturday will inject some much needed fresh material 😂

TiRed

I was in CH first race, tryin* to Marshall him into the back of the pack.

And Weeksy, I was rubbish for my first whole season, then mediocre and finally mid pack fodder. But everyone has to learn to race. Once you’ve done the apprenticeship, it’s like crack.

Speaking of crack, my club mate broke six ribs and has a punctured lung from n Hillingdon on Saturday. That was the 3/4 race. Taken out on the last bend.

Feeling a bit better. Still down about 10-15% on go, but getting there. Form is temporary, class is permanent. Just need some me of that there permanence!

gray

Speaking of crack, my club mate broke six ribs and has a punctured lung from n Hillingdon on Saturday. That was the 3/4 race. Taken out on the last bend.

Eek, that’s going to be sore. I popped a lung about 6 years ago. Ended up having to have surgery to stick it to my chest wall and stop it deflating again. Chest drains are painful, even without broken ribs! I hope his lung heals up without needing too much intervention.

(I realise I must sound really accident-prone. Up until 6 years ago, I’d never even had a stitch! Since then…bah.)

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I think he’s lucky it was nothing more serious than that.

I was spectating on Saturday and to say the crash was spectacular would be an understatement, when you see bikes cartwheeling through the air a couple of metres up you know it’s not going to end well.

The whole way through the race it looked like there was going to be crashes, I was chatting to another couple of spectators and they thought the same. A mate of mine who was racing nearly pulled out after the first smaller crash as he was expecting it to go horribly wrong at some point.

Hopefully your mate is on the mend but having watched a few races at Hillingdon and seen some pretty big accidents I think it’s only a matter of time before something more serious happens 🙁

crosshair
    Free Member

Yowch! I stand by what I said about 3/4 races being bad news!!

Crazy how many times the sprint lap causes a crash- and hopefully proves I’m not just being a pussy!

I’m not sure why people don’t try different tactics more- it’s not like they are going to get any further without learning some. Is it as simple as they all want to win?

Note to self- NO MORE SPRINT LAP ATTEMPTS 😂

stu_d
    Free Member

Is it easy to park at Hillingdon? Thinking of going down on Saturday

crosshair
    Free Member

Yep 👍🏻Parking either inside the barrier or in the Goals carpark. Never even had to wait for a space.

stu_d
    Free Member

Great, thanks

rawka
    Free Member

It will be my first time at Hillingdon on Saturday. Is parking free? Any course tactics to help me?

kilo

Semi-serious point. It’s hardly surprising places like Hillingdon are crashfests, when I was a young racer (back in the days of third cats being the start level) the Surrey League 3rd cat road races were known for the carnage, now the equivalent riders (and possibly even less skilled as you had to be a club rider to race back then so may have done some chain gangs etc) are racing tighter circuits in big fields and possibly with a lot more alpha male bs making them sprint wildly for 34th place 😉

rawka
    Free Member

I’ve seen so many people taking big risks for 34th, there’s no point. I don’t play if the top 10/15 isn’t on.

crosshair
    Free Member

Yep, free parking.

It’s usually 3mph faster on the final lap and suddenly everyone forgets how to ride in a bunch.

Not sure I’m the best to ask for tactics 🤣

crosshair
    Free Member

🙁

crosshair
    Free Member

🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 282 total)

The topic ‘2018 Road Racing’ is closed to new replies.