Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • 2017 Tour de France: Concluding Observations
  • SaxonRider

I should have added that I am quite impressed with Simon Yates. He seems quite likeable, but it will be interesting to see him develop.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Eddy Merckx saying people aren’t attacking – every single rider in the history of cycling attacked less than him so it’s not a fair comment!! 😉

I like Froomes style of riding. Why? It’s different. I can’t stand Contador but at least you can spot him – he’s got a style. Same with Froome, it’s not pretty but it’s his style. Everyone else has had their style beaten out of them with a million bike fits! Froomes body shape is just weird as well, his arms are sooooooo long.

I think the non Sky teams really missed their chances this year. Sky haven’t really dominated as such, they’ve run a measured race but when they’ve been slightly weaker the other teams just haven’t used the opportunity and played it safe instead. Such as when froome had the puncture, when he joined the group again they should have attacked, again and again as surely Froome would have cracked?? But no one tried anything. Weird.

Certainly will miss Voekler.

Dan Martin IS the Terminator. Looks like him and no matter what you do to him he’ll come back and attack you!! Top bloke and made of nails it appears.

I am so glad someone hasn’t been permanently injured. So many sickening crashes it’s amazing someone hasn’t been.

THE SCENERY. I don’t know what they’ve done this year (Prudhomme said someone about helicopters in an interview) but every time I watch I just want to jump in the car and pedal round France. So many gorgeous areas to visit it’s been ridiculous. Must go next year!!

greentricky
    Free Member

Im definitely in the camp of ditch power meters and radios, they have killed mountain stages as everyone knows the magnitude of the big attacks and if they can be sustained and or pulled back at a measured pace.

Seems the race is going for smaller teams and considering a wage cap instead. The team size seems misguided to me, surely it will make no difference to the big teams with a deep talent pool but hurt those lower teams which rely on different riders on different days as they can’t sustain a whole tour with the big boys.

mrblobby
    Free Member

they have killed mountain stages as everyone knows the magnitude of the big attacks and if they can be sustained and or pulled back at a measured pace.

Do you really think a pro bike rider can’t gauge his output accurately and ride a hard but sustainable tempo uphill without a power meter? Banning power meters would make no difference to the racing.

I’d argue that banning blood doping has killed mountain stages as most remember them from the Pantani and Armstrong era 😉

martinhutch

Definitely think team radios should go. When someone’s up the road they and the peleton shouldn’t get constant updates on the gaps. Could also make sprint stages less tedious if it’s harder to manage the timing of reeling in the breakaways.

butcher

There have been some exciting bits, but often for the wrong reasons. Disappointing to see so many people crash out, especially those with such high hopes and potential. And Sagan being disqualified was a crime.

Super pleased to see EBH eventually get a stage. Cav must be gutted – what a lead out man he would’ve had.

Dan Martin has to have been my favourite rider. Fighting all the way.

Where has Greipel been?? Only Grand Tour without a stage win? One stage left… I’ll be rooting for him, he seems a nice guy.

AG2R lit it up. It probably would’ve been boring without them.

The Yates brothers are really proving themselves. I thought maybe Adam getting 4th was a bit lucky. The Simon getting a similar position in the Vuelta. And now smashing it again, riding Contador off his wheel.

OK, Contador isn’t at his best. But I’m in the camp of, I never really used to like him, yet he’s grown on me a lot. He doesn’t give up. Probably where Dan Martin has been getting lessons from.

Uran has played it defensively, but still well within a chance of winning. And it’s good to see him up there. In fact, whilst the GC battle could’ve been more exciting in place, it was good that there were so many different styles. Froome just smashes it with his strength. Bardet really dug deep and took every opportunity to take time. Dan Martin constantly going **** it, I’m winning this today…

Kittel. Meh.

Oh, and G in yellow. Awesome.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Participating in sport is better than watching it

badnewz
    Free Member

Frome – great guy, ugly riding style, champion
    Bardet – great guy, beautiful riding style, future champion

wool

Contador…..every time he appears on the screen steak is shouted at the TV by the whole family. Not sure why he is still alowed to ride after depriving Andy Shleck the experience of winning the Tour and all that comes with it. Realy enjoyed the tour this year,Yes Sky/ Froome look like they have won using normal Sky tactics but its been a lot closer this year so made it more intresting.

slowoldman

I like watching the motorcycle chaps push over-enthusiastic supporters off the side of the mountain roads.

Certainly one of the highlights of this year’s race. I quite liked the Unicorn on the Izoard too.

hofnar
    Free Member

Racism still rife in the Tour the France

Booing Chris Froome on the road and today again.

Combativity not for De Gendt they really like to stick their ass up their nationalist ass

ferrals
    Free Member

genesiscore502011 – Member
    My observation is that Dan Martin is nails! And someone earlier wrote Kelly Slater is robotic …. erm no …. he did not compete for years (when he was winning)as he felt the judges could not truly progressively assess his style / ability. I do appreciate he is now getting older and maybe “slowing down” but robotic is harsh.

Without pushing this too off topic, I didn’t mean slaters surfing is robotic, meant the way he seems to constantly analyse, and it was a compliment not an insult! It’s what you need to be so dominant!

AlexSimon

Not sure why he is still alowed to ride after depriving Andy Shleck the experience of winning the Tour and all that comes with it.

Hmmm – Give that his very close brother got popped for doping (and admitted links to Fuentes), I don’t have any sympathy there.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

My apologies ferrals- misread and misunderstood your comment

dufusdip
    Free Member

Thomas was tenacious and very sad to see him go out after getting to wear yellow.

Foome has a bit of an aura of an elder statesman, seems to have decorum and is strong on the sportsmanship.

Radios being banned is not likely to happen as there is a safety aspect that the riders have pushed, but I would like to see power and heart rate meters stopped from being a live feed. Might make attacks and chases a bit less measured and open the race up in the hills and on the flats. The break rarely seems to succeed any longer.

I can’t work out whether to be pleased or disappointed that Contador and Quintana both seem to have completely lost any form. Suggests that there was more to Contador than an isolated spiked meat product. Quintana might not have had Valverde to support, but seems to have struggled to hold a wheel on the hills. High risk for Sky if the suggested swap between he and Landa comes to fruition.

alpin
    Free Member

My observation is that team road cycling is boring as hell….

hours of nothing interspersed with some guy “attacking”, or as I see it, riding a bit faster than the pack for maybe ten minutes before the pack gain up on him.

Froome being praised in the media despite it mostly being down to his team mates as to whether he gets the yellow jersey.

Some weird sado masochistic riding positions.

Not saying that the feat of endurance is phenomenal, but as a spectator sport I find it rather bizarre.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

OK, Contador isn’t at his best. But I’m in the camp of, I never really used to like him, yet he’s grown on me a lot

Best stage racer of his generation. I find it hard to believe people don’t like him. Absolutely class rider. But he got caught, the boring brits have yet to be; apart from the team sky shit show at the end of last year

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

OK, Contador isn’t at his best. But I’m in the camp of, I never really used to like him, yet he’s grown on me a lot

You shouldn’t judge it all by the TDF, but I agree, it’s pretty much a write-off with Team Sky/Froome involved. Even more so as Sagan/Valverde/Cavendish weren’t racing.

weeksy

My observation is that team road cycling is boring as hell….

hours of nothing interspersed with some guy “attacking”, or as I see it, riding a bit faster than the pack for maybe ten minutes before the pack gain up on him.

Froome being praised in the media despite it mostly being down to his team mates as to whether he gets the yellow jersey.

Some weird sado masochistic riding positions.

Not saying that the feat of endurance is phenomenal, but as a spectator sport I find it rather bizarre.

I find that perspective incomprehensible.

Do you watch and enjoy other cycling disciplines?

anagallis_arvensis

Froome may have had a team helping him but he still has to pedal his own bike!!

SaxonRider

Froome may have had a team helping him but he still has to pedal his own bike!!

Not only that, the Tour is a team event. Isn’t that the point? We don’t denigrate a goal-scoring footballer because people passed the ball to him!

crosshair
    Free Member

I must admit, in previous years, watching the Tour on hazy afternoons has more been a kind of pre-doze meditation for me.
    Seeing how far ahead the French farmers Maize crops are and if they’ve cut much wheat yet etc etc.

But this year, the realisation that my fastest sprint at peak power is around 35mph has made the sight of guys drilling it for 10 or 15 minute efforts at 40mph slightly more amazing!

It’s three weeks- it’s not going to be hectic every second but it’s quite a spectacle!

slowoldman

These guys are the most impressive athletes around. Even the ones who don’t win anything.

zanelad
    Free Member

Not an epic tour IMO. I miss the mountain top finishes, Froome looks awkward on a bike, no style, not that it matters I guess. Sad that Cavendish and Satan went out so early on.

Miss the team time trial.

Still a great spectacle and I watch it in admiration of all who take part.

budgierider67

Loved the Gendarme motorcyclist pushing the running spectator into the ditch and the return of a worthy wearer of the King of the Mountains jersey.
    Disappointed not to see what Richie Porte could have done but I doubt BMC could have stopped the Sky train.
    The constant booing of Chris Froome just baffles me.

Kryton57

It comes from the media fuelled “riding by numbers” originally applied by Sky. Froomes riding above it IMO, being gentlemanly and not complaining. His response in the TT today was perfect – whether you like it or not he beat the GC riding by himself. Hes also shown hes a bit vunerable, and has had to make changes to win again – in this case his training peak.

Anyway, the overiding conclusion for me is that in the current “dope free” age you just simply cannot have a dominant rider; plenty have been sick, ill, ground to a halt, hence for me its the sheer ability of these guys to ride like they do every day for three weeks.

frankconway

The tour organisers – ASO – have tried changing the tour route and tinkering with stage finishes to reduce the dominance of TeamSky; nothing they have done has neutralised TeamSky or reduced their ability to control a stage.
    I don’t know were it can go from here – capping the investment in individual teams; ‘valuing’ each rider (either £ or points) and then capping the max any team can submit for the tour…….could be interesting option but teams would never agree to any scoring/valuing unless it clearly favoured them.
    Great for Froome but his fantastic achievements have been diminished by all the shit that has swirled around him – Brailsford & Wiggo to be specific.
    I think – a truly ‘nice’ guy & world class athlete that he is – he will never receive he true recognition he clearly deserves.

atlaz
    Free Member

I think a salary cap could work, possibly in the same way that MLB do it. Namely you can spend, say, 15M on rider without penalty but above there you pay 20% of that value in “tax” that is given to other teams with the poorest teams getting most.

TBH though, it’s ALWAYS been the case that the best teams can attract the best talent. If you ride for Fortuneo-Oscaro you MIGHT get into a breakaway or do well on a single mountain stage or sprint well, but you’re never going to get a chance to win a grand tour or even be part of a grand tour winning team.

mikey74
    Free Member

There’s an article in the BBC today about Froome: It’s a bit hypocritical, IMO, given that the BBC only give the TdF token coverage:
    Tour de France 2017: Is Chris Froome Britain’s least loved great sportsman? – http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40692045

As for banning power meters: that would have no effect at all. Banning radios might, but that would also punish the small teams who don’t have the fire power to send riders back to the cars to get information.

nickwatson
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to how both Yates bothers will develop. They don’t seem to race together at all, but could they work together to mount a future GC challenge?

I’ve enjoyed the race. Froome has been consistent without being spectacular, wonder if we will see a more attacking rider at La Vuelta?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The French crowds have often booed the dominant champion its just now it’s on TV and we get to comment about it on social media. They seem to back the fighter and the underdog even more than the British (see Poulidor the eternal second vs Anquetil who got booed). Add Sky’s arrogance right from the off, massive budget and dominance and it’s not surprising.

This tour has reinforced my opinion that the “unwritten rule” of not attacking when the leader has a mechanical is BS. This isn’t running, it’s cycling, where equipment and technology are integral. Bike and component manufacturers supply and sponsor teams, market their products as “race proven” and often use the Tour to unveil new kit. If your chain drops, or you snap a spoke, or your brake caliper jams with a stone, or your carbon wheel collapses, well that’s not a good advert for your supplier but it’s on you. I couldn’t help notice that my post-Chaingate Sram road groupset came with a chaincatcher as standard…

edlong
    Free Member

I’m happy to keep radios, they give the teams more options to do things, like the other day when they let Landa go off the front, knowing that if things started getting a bit spicy for Froome they could call him back to help, which is exactly what happened.

Sans radios, he’d have stuck with Froome all the way, which would have been less interesting.

Twodogs

My favourite bit was the interview with Aru’s teammate, who, when told Aru had lost the yellow jumper, said “has he? Good!”

And regarding Sky’s “massive budget” , as someone posted previously, it’s only slightly more than the next best funded team…£34m vs £33m IIRC

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

And regarding Sky’s “massive budget” , as someone posted previously, it’s only slightly more than the next best funded team…£34m vs £33m IIRC

it might be now, what was the differential when they started? And for the French they’re comparing with French teams (not, say BMC) who have a much smaller budget and suffer disproportionately from their taxation regime.

So in 2015, Sky 29m Euros, Tinkoff 23m Euros, AG2R 14m Euros

The Finances of Ag2r La Mondiale

The Finances of Team Sky

chakaping
    Free Member

I think ASO did a decent job of mixing things up a bit.

Dunno why people get so vexed about “fixing” things so Sky don’t dominate.

I’m no fan, but they target the TDF more than anyone else and they have the best GC rider in the world – so it’s hardly an injustice that they keep winning.

sheck

Would be interesting to see if Froome could do it for another team… bit like Mick Doohan never did in MotoGP in the 90s

flanagaj
    Free Member

Not sure if anyone else spotted it, but whilst watching the TT yesterday I was wondering whether Tony Martin had shat himself.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

😯 Too many gels?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

sandpaper glued to top of saddle.

It’s completely worn through his skinsuit before 😯

scaredypants

Not sure if anyone else spotted it, but whilst watching the TT yesterday I was wondering whether Tony Martin had shat himself.

TM has a bit of history here – I suspect long tours do a lot of damage to his arse and that the late TTs just apply the final straw

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘2017 Tour de France: Concluding Observations’ is closed to new replies.