Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • 2017 Tour de France: Concluding Observations
  • NZCol

It’s been interesting to watch and gutted for George Bennet who was having a stormer. Whilst in our house Bertie is referred to as ‘fxn cheat’ at least he tries. Notable mentions to:
    – Bardet for a stronger ride
    – Barguil for honouring the polka dot jersey and going for stage wins
    – my mate for describing Aru as the Italian Gargoyle
    – that gendarme on the motorbike for straightarming that guy into the gutter , chapeau !
    – Froome and sky esp kwiatowski for his to he death effort on the Izoard
    I also saw a stage which was pretty cool

natrix
    Free Member

No one likes Aru,

I went right off him when I found out he’d had his nostrils ‘rebored’ so he could get more air in – seems like surgical doping to me

13thfloormonk

Interesting points re: previous team tactics, honestly didn’t pay enough attention/was too young in the past so didn’t know it was an old tactic.

Can’t really hold it against Sky if they have in fact brought good riders up from the little leagues as the article I linked above seems to suggest, it’s not like they’ve pulled a Man City or a Chelsea and just bought superstars.

Also not likely to do pro cycling any good if you scare big money sponsors away by telling them they’re not allowed to win as much! 😀

Still like the idea of banning power meters and radios though, or could they give them radios but limit them for safety chat (they can monitor radio chat in F1 can’t they?).

epicsteve
    Free Member

See also the pantomime villain-eque treatment of Aru because A) he’s not as pretty as some of the others and B) he had the temerity to attack when the leader of the strongest team in the race momentarily cocked up his gears

I also suspect him being an arsehole didn’t help either. Even his own team mates don’t like him.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I can. If I were a pro racer I’d want to be like him. Good, clever and a nice bloke.

And rides a bike like a robot pushing a shopping trolley through gravel.

If I was out on the bike working my way up a local hill and my inner child conjured up a mental image to inspire me I can guarantee that despite him being the most effective GC rider of his generation it wouldn’t be Froome.

dragon
    Free Member

Did this also co-incide with no power meters? Genuine question.

I think Power meters used in races (rather than training) is only really something that’s come in during the last 10 years or less. From a quick trawl of images on the internet it seems 2009 a few risers were by 2010 then the majority of riders were using them.

chakaping
    Free Member

I went right off him when I found out he’d had his nostrils ‘rebored’ so he could get more air in – seems like surgical doping to me

Is this true?

If so, I like him more now.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’ve not seen one post on here pining for Phil and Paul to come back to ITV. Well done Ned and David. Far more engaging and insightful if not a little verbose at times.

I might be in the minority but I miss a TTT.

Watch out for Roglic and Benoot in years to come.

You couldn’t move in the peloton for disc brakes.

Sky have gotten better over the years at varying tactics but still aren’t great. Putting Landa up the road yesterday was a good move but they still work too hard on the first half of stages. Still a bit one dimensional but it clearly works.

flange
    Free Member

I can. If I were a pro racer I’d want to be like him. Good, clever and a nice bloke.

Hmmm, nope not for me – I don’t doubt he’s a nice bloke and an unbelievable cyclist but I just struggle to get behind him. Maybe it’s because he’s never been an underdog (bar the year when he could have clearly trounced Wiggins) or maybe the way in which he (or rather Sky) win the tour just means I struggle to support him. I’d much rather see Bardet win this year, or Barguil or someone else. Had high hopes for Porte but obviously not to be. And credit to Froome, I don’t think Porte can match him even when he’s on top form.

MrBlobby – did Indurain and Armstrong have a team of potential tour winners supporting them though? In the same vein as Landa, Kwiato, Kiryienka, Henao (not this year obvs!), Nieve and Thomas? Genuine question as I was too young to remember fully, apart from big George for US Postal (and I’m not sure he could have ever been a potential contender for the GC?).

EDIT: I’ve just had a look and yeah, maybe postal did have similar talent – Landis, Hamilton, Levi…

chakaping
    Free Member

Well done Ned and David. Far more engaging and insightful if not a little verbose at times.

Agreed.

Both annoy me mildly in their own right, but they work great together and I think Ned has found his niche.

Dave sounds genuinely excited when it all kicks off on a climb or whatever.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Postal definitely employed similar tactics to sky. The fact that Sky look tactically similar to the dopest* team in modern tour history is what makes them the pantomime villains for many non English speaking fans.

* Not meant in a hip hop type of way.

LittleNose
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed the second half of the tour… even though after the race nothing much seems to have changed each day, there seems to have been lots of promise and possibilities.

I like the idea of binning the power meters, HRM’s, and/or radios. Any of these will re-introduce uncertainty for the riders and likely result in more opportunities being taken / missed

mrblobby
    Free Member

The fact that Sky look tactically similar to the dopest* team in modern tour history

… to any other dominant team in a GT since the dawn of time 🙂 (well in the modern era of GT anyway)

chakaping
    Free Member

Those of you advocating no radios & power meters (which isn’t gonna happen), do you really think they’ve had a big negative impact on this tour?

To my eye it’s been quite different to recent TDFs, with the racing more attacky and Sky much less dominant.

My feeling is the atypical parcours this year has spiced things up nicely, and the racing for GC is nice and closely matched.

ferrals
    Free Member

When I listen to Froome’a interviews post race, I’m always reminded of Kelly Slater’s (12x surfing world champion) post-heat interviews. Clearly not just very talented but with the intellience to critically analyse events. Both slightly robotic but if that’s what it takes to be the best…

So 12 TdF yellow yerseys?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Froome’a interviews post race

I’d add that he also takes an awful lot of crap from the media in good grace (more than can be said for potty mouthed Wiggins and Brailsford.)

lazybike
    Free Member

Looking at the GC time gaps you’d think it’s been a thrilling race.

dragon
    Free Member

did Indurain and Armstrong have a team of potential tour winners supporting them though?

Armstrong definitely did even more so than Sky IMO. Armstrong over the years had support from the likes of Reberto Heras, Tyler Hamilton, Christian Vande Velde, Floyd Landis, Levi Leiphiemer, José Azevedo, then later on Paolo Savoldelli and Ivan Basso.

Indurain and Banesto I’m not so sure of but they did have Jean-François Bernard and Pedro Delgado.

ransos
    Free Member

Here’s Eddi Merckx’ view:

I’ve followed all the stages, but they weren’t really very interesting. It was not a great tour, there hasn’t been much drama. Many stages were quite boring. I often watched the start then went and did something else. I didn’t just spend hours watching television.

Something has to be done about these long and flat stages. Almost nothing happens: there’s an escape that is taken in the final kilometers. There were too many stages where you knew in advance that nothing would happen.

I was still expecting some [kind of battle] in the mountains. Froome always rode defensively, defended himself very well and could count on a very strong team. So nothing happened in this Tour. Many team leaders have done nothing but wait. Froome himself has never attacked. He will win the Tour, and has defended well, but he didn’t do anything exceptional. There was just no one to beat him. He deserves to win. Of course, we still have to wait for the time trial, but I don’t see who can still beat him.

dragon
    Free Member

I think it is fair to say that this Tour Sky have perfected the cycling equivalent of Catenaccio. I think the way to beat it, is to have a few cards to play, so Sky are made to mark more than one rider. If Fulsang hadn’t crashed then the double of Fulsang and Aru might have been able to work it, as they did at the Dauphine.

molgrips
    Free Member

he didn’t do anything exceptional

Except get back onto the group on that day he broke a spoke.

He did try a few attacks, they were just matched. He couldn’t get away. To comapre with other sports, it’s perfectly possible to have a tense exciting 1-0 football match.

wwaswas

Great last 5k’s racing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Froome gives interviews in French every day. Respect.

richmtb

I was never a Froome fan, as other have said he was a bit of a charisma vacuum. Rides like an octopus falling out of a tree, etc, etc.

But I’ve really warmed to him, he seems like a genuinely good bloke, very few in the peloton have a bad word to say about him and he seems to have real tactical nous as well.

Sure he hasn’t really attacked, by then why should he? He’s already winning!

Bardet has also been excellent, descends like a maniac

Barguil is the best polka dot winner in years.

I look forward to seeing what they can do in future tours

Sagan has been missed, lack of summit wheelies has been a real let down.

molgrips
    Free Member

Another quite exciting thing about this tour has been the finishes at the bottom of descents – so the descending has been important and the rides have gone for it – or so it looks to me.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Merckx basically nails it (ransos’s post above).

Froome is the best.

The Tour has been a bit boring.

lazybike
    Free Member

it’s perfectly possible to have a tense exciting 1-0 football match.

It is…not sure that description applies to this years tour. The big surprise for me this year is that I’ve warmed to Froome, I think he’s done a good job.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

When Froome lost the yellow jersey (to Aru) I enjoyed seeing Sky and Froome ride a different race. But Aru gave it up in a day, so it was over too quickly.

Somehow, we need Froome to be 1 minute behind the leader, so he rides in a different way. Then we would have a very different race, and I think Froome would get it done it done this way too.

scaredypants

– that gendarme on the motorbike for straightarming that guy into the gutter , chapeau !

“Kepi”, maybe ? 😀 (don’t suppose there’s a pic or vid of it ?)

igm

Aru looks like Ed Miliband

Cycling observations can wait until I have something worth saying

Perhaps more costal windy stages and more mountain top finishes on long climbs. And TTs have their place – can we have the AdH one back?

cookeaa

I have enjoyed seeing some non-sky brits in the mix Dan Martin and Simon Yates.

I would have liked it if Kittel and Cavendish were still in the green jersey chase, that aussie chap’s nice and all, but he’s just sort of the default winner now the real contenders have crashed out.

Uran is a wheelsucker. Nobody likes a wheelsucker. He needed to up his game.

I haven’t seen today’s highlights so don’t know how close the GC will be going into the TT, but I sort of want Uran to upset the apple cart a bit, his wheelsucking is tactical, he has to do it because he lacks the team support, if he were to get closer today and even overhaul Froome in the TT tomorrow (big ‘if’ really, but why not) he’d be the ultimate “bad guy” for next years tour… Baddies make it more interesting.

Bardet has been a pleasure to watch, and I like him too, his condemnation of the French fans Booing Froome the other day confirmed that impression for me…

Barguille’s face coming over the line yesterday was great, seeing someone that genuinely happy is just nice…

Worst thing by far has been the UCI, inconsistent application of their own rules for things like taking bottles at the wrong time or turning a blind eye to fisticuffs after the line and their treatment of Sagan have yet again reinforced the negative image they have, and again if you wanted pantomime, having it presided over by bungling, corrupt old men adds to that aspect, but for me they’re still a real lowlight.

igm

UCI, inconsistent application of their own rules

Every year. Part of what makes the tour special.

SaxonRider

I would have liked it if Kittel and Cavendish were still in the green jersey chase, that aussie chap’s nice and all, but he’s just sort of the default winner now the real contenders have crashed out.

I agree completely, but much to the credit of Matthews, he himself acknowledged that he would have rather taken the green in a proper battle than under the current circumstances.

Bardet has been a pleasure to watch, and I like him too, his condemnation of the French fans Booing Froome the other day confirmed that impression for me…

Barguille’s face coming over the line yesterday was great, seeing someone that genuinely happy is just nice…

‘Yes’ to both of these statements. That overwhelming sense of good sportsmanship is what has made this tour a pleasure to share with my kids.

ctk
    Free Member

Been some exciting racing (mainly ag2r trying to make stuff happen) but not so many exciting finishes to stages. More mtn top finishes please!

Great to see G win a stage and get yellow.

Enjoyed todays win also.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

My observation is that Dan Martin is nails! And someone earlier wrote Kelly Slater is robotic …. erm no …. he did not compete for years (when he was winning)as he felt the judges could not truly progressively assess his style / ability. I do appreciate he is now getting older and maybe “slowing down” but robotic is harsh.

zippykona

Can they not have outriders on proper electric motorbikes who would chaperone the leaders up the mountains and barge all the stupid **** out of the way.
    Those idiots should show the riders just a bit of respect.

mazz
    Free Member

It’s been a great tour to watch this year. Agree with many of the observations.

Froome is a class above – but it’s hard to watch him ride a bike. He defines the word “ungainly”.

Bardet could do more – I’d really love to see him push Froome more

Landa and Kwiato have been superb lieutenants for Froome

Been great to see Barguil – BAR-GHEE – do so well – I like team Sunweb

Bling Matthews – is a shame Kittel crashed out- – the battle for green would have been something

Not a fan of Astana – but do like Fulsang (sp?) – hope he moves teams

Dan Martin has battled hard

It’s a pity Bertie has not so well. I like his style

Wish Porte well – the tour is poorer without him

It’s been a dramatic tour – and it’s not over yet.

But Sunday I shall be lost without daily fix – look forward to La Vuelta

DavidB
    Free Member

I think it is time to drop the respective yellow jersey bollocks. Dan Martin should win simply for getting up from his awful crash and fighting on. Yet Froome was able to hold up his hand and stop the race.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think it is time to drop the respective yellow jersey bollocks. Dan Martin should win simply for getting up from his awful crash and fighting on. Yet Froome was able to hold up his hand and stop the race.

Just a different scenario. On that descent the race was well and truly on. Had Porte collected Froome instead of Dan Martin they would not have waited. Like Froome’s wheel swap and chase of a rampaging AG2R, no one was waiting. Aru incident was different. Had Aru attacked a few seconds earlier and been up the road then no one would have stopped. And it’s not specifically yellow either, the same rules would have applied had any of the GC contenders had a similar incident. The riders themselves see it as the honourable thing to do so who are we to disagree.

Was interesting to hear Dan Martin say after the broken wheel stage that he was happy to see Froome get back on as that wouldn’t have been the right way to lose a Tour.

aracer
    Free Member

and Sagan so the competition was over a week ago? 😈

Not that Matthews wasn’t a real contender (in the absence of Sagan). I’m not sure how Cav would have affected things, but likely not at all given his form. Quite apart from not wanting to see riders crash out, especially those contributing to the race, it was a shame not to have a fight for the green with Kittel though – it would certainly have changed the way today’s stage was run.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘2017 Tour de France: Concluding Observations’ is closed to new replies.