Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 317 total)
  • 2015 Prudential ride 100
  • freeagent
    Free Member

^Yep..

I think a bit of strategic walking in the Surrey hills will be my only hope.
    all I want to do is complete it – and not come last.

jam-bo

you’ll be fine. it was one of the easiest long rides I’ve ever done.

Even in last years tropical conditions..

freeagent
    Free Member

piedi di formaggio – Member

Not sure how I got such an early start

Because like me, you were slightly over-ambitious with your predicted completion time on the application form??

IHN

and not come last.

To be honest, if I’m going to be right at the back, I want to be right at the back. Coming in 25000th out of 25000 is kinda cool 🙂

hooli

I set off at 7:30 ish, booked a hotel about 6 miles from the start so all set on the logistics front.

The training is a slightly different matter. The date seems to have crept up on me a bit and the longer weekend rides I had planned haven’t happened. I have done plenty of short rides and MTB rides but I think the lack of hours on the road bike may cause me issues in the 2nd half of this ride 😳

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Because like me, you were slightly over-ambitious with your predicted completion time on the application form??

Can’t remember what I put, but seemed sensible at the time. Mind you, that was a long time ago now!

Logistics is a PITA too. I’ve ended up on the Travelodge at Aldgate the night before (I really hope they remember the long chat I had with them about me having a bike with me!!) and plan to get there during the evening before. Will bring something for an early brekkie then set out for a gentle spin to the start. Hopefully it will still be light that time of the morning so won’t need lights.

Reckon the hardest bit (aside from the hills) will be cycling back to Liverpool Street to get a train home after finishing. Reckon I’ll have legs of lead by then!

freeagent
    Free Member

Can’t remember what I put, but seemed sensible at the time. Mind you, that was a long time ago now!

I don’t remember mine either, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the 6.5 – 7 hours I’m currently looking at…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

a 15mph average will bring you home in about 6 hours 40 I think and that seems sensible to me.

A mate who did it last year said he was surprised how quickly he went. I guess lots of other riders and closed roads helps quite a bit

freeagent
    Free Member

Yeah that is what I’m looking at.
    My normal road rides are at 13.5-14mph (yes – I know) and everyone says you go a bit quicker on Ride London due to closed roads etc, so 15mph looks like a good (realistic) target.

Reckon the hardest bit (aside from the hills) will be cycling back to Liverpool Street to get a train home after finishing. Reckon I’ll have legs of lead by then!

Managed to dodge that – my plan is train home with bike from Charing X (short walk from finish) then 2 miles flat ride home from Orpington station.
    I’ve managed to convince my Dad to run me back to the O2 to pick my car up later that afternoon… ;o)

IHN

Yeah, we’ll have a car parked at the Holiday Inn in Docklands, 7.5 miles from The Mall 🙁

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What are people’s start times?

08:33

Staying overnight at a mate’s gaff, handily…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yeah, we’ll have a car parked at the Holiday Inn in Docklands, 7.5 miles from The Mall

Plus there will be all the road closures round there to contend with as well!

Ludgate Hill will probably feel like Mont Ventoux!

IHN

🙁

[edit]just checked, the roads will be open again by then (at least in the East End[/edit]

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ludgate Hill will probably feel like Mont Ventoux!

You could stop at the sweet shop halfway up for a breather 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh yeah, Leith Hill Place. I’ve been training and my final day is 80 miles on Sunday around the SH and I did this on my second run of 60 miles.

Don’t worry about it. It’s a bit steep but it doesn’t last for long. Just get down on the first gear, drop your heels at the bottom of the stroke and breathe and take it real steady. You’ll be fine. It’s not all it’s bigged up to be.

mrchrispy

its flat with a little bump in the middle, you should fly round 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

so… GPX – anyone? I’m thinking they don’t offer it as I can’t find one after a bit of searching, but I would prefer to have one if possible. Anyone know if it’s the same route as last year?

jam-bo

Yeah that is what I’m looking at.
    My normal road rides are at 13.5-14mph (yes – I know) and everyone says you go a bit quicker on Ride London due to closed roads etc, so 15mph looks like a good (realistic) target.

I normally average 14-15mph round Devon. Did the shortened 86m last year in 4hr26, a shade under 20mph. It really is a fast course.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I like the sound of that… I’m hoping to get sub-5h30m…

garethc
    Free Member

For the GPX, I went to the official route page, clicked the blue button to open in Google Maps…

Where it has the title in top left, drop this list down, and at the end of the “share” buttons, the last button will let you export a KML file.

Garmin Connect will read this and let you export a GPX (other conversion tools are available, and I think a Garmin might even be able to understand a KML file).

cheekyget
    Free Member

I did the very first London 100 in 2013 , I had the last starting time and spent most of the time trying to get past the sight seers
    I found the first 25 miles real fast and was going a good pace till I got to the turning into. Boxhill then I got the dreaded CRAMP!!…..I carried on like a trouper …but was then starting to get taken over by everyone. Finish it in 6hrs 21mins

This year I got a 06:15 start……..now do I go crazy for the first half?????……it should be fun what ever happens…..and if you see a guy with cramp near boxhill….the chances are its me….and I went off too fast again
    Feel free to shout abuse!!……ha hah

theflatboy
    Free Member

gareth, cheers – I’ll give that a go.

simon_g

8.21 here. Given the drop-off is 5 miles away, it’s only another 5 to ride straight from home so I’ll probably do that.

Woefully unfit after baby arrived in the winter, haven’t managed more than a few hours in one go since, but I do have a sacrilegious 11-32 & compact on my road bike so at least I can sit and spin slowly up the hills.

garethc
    Free Member

@theflatboy

If it doesn’t work, let me know – I can mail my file.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

6.20 start time. Got to ride there from Kingston before hand but an going to attempt a fast-ish time. Ambitious time is sub 5 but doubt I’ll achieve that.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Im Sure there is a special train service just for 100 riders leaving from Richmond you can take!!
    You’ll need your energy to the times……I’m hoping too…….ha ha ha….you’ll never know.

theflatboy
    Free Member

gareth – if you wouldn’t mind, that would be much appreciated. I have downloaded it but it just seems to generate a few sections of the route rather than 1 continuous ride when I try to convert it. My email is username at gmail. Thanks. 🙂

FB-ATB

I’m starting at 7:18 in the Yellow section -any veterans have any hints for meeting other riders en route? My mate is starting at 7.30 and we’d like to ride together(aahh). I guess the first few miles have a load of people waiting for friends?

hooli

I’m starting at 7:18 in the Yellow section -any veterans have any hints for meeting other riders en route? My mate is starting at 7.30 and we’d like to ride together(aahh). I guess the first few miles have a load of people waiting for friends?

Yep, just pick a spot, pull over and wait. Loads of people doing it last year.

cheekyget
    Free Member

The actual start is 2 miles from where we set off in the waves……so you can just hang back on the flyover….and you can meet up with your mates and go over the starting line at the same time!

bigdaddy

I’m in too, got a 6:18 start and riding in from redhill… Some simple maths suggests it’s gonna be a night ride to start with! Do you need to be there an hour before as instructed in the book?

theflatboy
    Free Member

The book says you have to be there between 30-60 minutes before the start, and the way they word it is pretty militant about getting in before the half hour cut-off… I am going to make sure I’m there in plenty of time, it would be a little frustrating to fall at that final hurdle!

aP
    Free Member

That reminds me, must book campsite in Swanage that weekend.

theflatboy
    Free Member

just a bump for gareth, if yuo wouldn’t mind the GPX would be much appreciated. 🙂

mrjmt
    Free Member

theflatboy

I’ve got it on my ridewithgps.com here.

Can’t remember where I acquired it from to be honest, but comparing it to the route on their site, I think its right.

You can download a GPX of it from there, look in the right hand column for export.

theflatboy
    Free Member

excellent, thanks very much.

hooli

I guess most will have seen it but the route and elevation profile is here:

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Assets/London+Marathon+Digital+Assets/Prudential+RideLondon-Surrey+100+2015+Route+Profile+Map.pdf

Really looking forward to it but still feel under prepared. Lets hope it is dry at least!

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m trying to decide how far to head on a final long training ride tomorrow – I’m not worried about the distance, more about what would be most use tomorrow (and potentially early next week) for speed and preparation.

Any thoughts anyone?

cheekyget
    Free Member

Well I don’t know about anyone else …but my prep was a 35 mile ride last night, a 70 mile sportive on Sunday ( sigma Tour de France ) and then another 30miler on Wednesday ….

Looking forward to the 100…… Now I’ve just got to beat my mates times!!

elliptic
    Free Member

I’m trying to decide how far to head on a final long training ride tomorrow – I’m not worried about the distance, more about what would be most use tomorrow (and potentially early next week) for speed and preparation.

If you’ve got miles in the bank then you want to cut back the distance in the last couple of weeks and focus more on short sharp efforts, 1-2 min intervals and out-of-the-saddle kicks.

Because (a) tapering (b) it’ll sharpen up your anaerobic system on top of the aerobic mileage and (c) if you want a quick time then RideLondon is about getting into groups and *staying* with them, which is a lot easier if you can dip into the red zone when necessary without exploding 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 317 total)

The topic ‘2015 Prudential ride 100’ is closed to new replies.