Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 317 total)
  • 2015 Prudential ride 100
  • FB-ATB

A few weeks ago I managed a 70 mile ride & then 85 miles a week later. Although I had covered the distances previously, on these occasions I had significantly improved times and still felt good at the end – albeit 30 & 15 miles short of the 100 respectively.

Last week I could only do a short ride, 60 miles at an average speed of 16.3mph when I’ve usually pottered around the 14mph mark.

The plan was to do something similar this weekend, but yesterday, a text from my mate saying he managed a 90mile ride in 6 hrs has got me thinking……

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve been scuppered by a mixture of work, other things going on and apathy!

Was planning to do a 50 after work, but the forecast today is biblical.

Gotta work tomorrow morning, but might try to do something in the afternoon – again, forecast isn’t great.

I’m sure it will be OK on the day, probably!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Oh, long range forecast currently predicting 12 – 21 degrees temp, so a cool start for the early departers. Light wind from SSE (6mph gusting to 13mph)and sunny intervals. Slight chance of rain from 1pm.

Obviously, that’s all going to change and will no doubt either be like last year or a proper scorchio heatwave!

theflatboy
    Free Member

interesting, i might do a couple of hours of swains lane ascents then for some final strength/power practice… 🙂

garethc
    Free Member

Sorry flatboy – just sent it – been away (actually mountain biking in the Lakes by way of preparation for Ride London… ???!!!!)

IHN

I’ll be doing 80 miles tomorrow, then nothing all next week. So far the furthest has been 55, and quite a few 20ish. I want to get a longer one in the bag more for the psychological benefit of knowing I can…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How did it go IHN?

I did a solo 70 in some rubbish winds, apart from my knackered knees aching it was OK. I did learn that my Jelly Babies to Miles to Insulin Pump settings were bang on, which was a relief. This that’s me ready. Probably….

mikemorini
    Free Member

I’m in the 8:15 start.
    I’m doing it on my Gryphon with slicks fitted and 1×10 (36 x 11-36)!
    Not exactly the tool for the job, but it’s what I’m used to.
    Anyone else doing it on a suitably inappropriate bike?

IHN

How did it go IHN?[/i]

Alright ta. Took a while, just went really steady, averaged about 14.5mph, wanted to get round rather than set a time. Pretty sure now that 100 will be fine, and at a quicker pace.

No jelly babies though, just cheese sandwiches, wine gums and a slice of Friday night’s pizza 🙂

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I’ve only rode it once in 2013 but despite all the warnings in the literature, the start is very informal. Just roll up and find a queue, the marshals are relaxed about people joining when they can though they will expect yellow numbers in the yellow start area etc they are not fussy about whether you are in the allotted start wave, just whether you are in the right area. Its a lot less formal than the documents suggest.

tuffty
    Free Member

I’ve got a 7:27 start time, really looking forward to it although must admit I’m a bit nervous. Oh well what’s the worse thing that can happen?

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Forgot to add, if you are really concerned, just hide in the middle of the starting pen and squash up to the other riders so no one can see your number. You honestly dont need to be there 30 minutes in advance and if you miss your wave, you can join the next one. Its worth getting there early and joining an earlier wave though.

As others have said, the first 25 miles is super quick and we covered it in little over an hour and a quarter despite not really pushing it. Find a big group and hold their wheels, jump onto any groups that pass. Leith Hill is narrow and busy but its short so batter it and push past the plodders. Box Hill was narrow too but the field had massively spread out by this point. Then its flat to the finish bar the short, sharp climb in Wimbledon. The finish is ace, the left turn under Admirality Arch is great. I filmed the finish rather than choosing to sprint my mate (he would have beaten me!) but it was nice as the crowds were forming for the elite race behind us.

OwenP

Anyone else doing it on a suitably inappropriate bike?

Hmmm maybe! I don’t own a road bike and have never really ridden road – all my kit is likewise decidedly unsuitable for skinny tyres! My option is to borrow a cheap road bike off a neighbour (some kind of BTwin type) or use my rigid Niner with slicks (36 x 11-36).

I like my own bike and it could be a novelty, but the wind resistance and low gearing could make the whole thing miserable… In a later wave start anyway, so won’t be holding others up at least!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Oh well what’s the worse that can happen?

Probably a puncture. If you can do 50 miles on a bike you can do a 100, all you need to remember is “food/fuel”. Always take enough with you and never run out, whatever it is, gels, biscuits, bananas, sweets, etc.

On a long distance ride always aim to finish it with at least one item of food left over. I did Croydon to Brighton and back yesterday, 98 miles, I’ve got one energy gel left over from the ride.

Personally I also like to take caffeine pills with me in case I feel I need the sort of boost a cup of coffee gives, but obviously that’s not necessary and some gels/bars contain caffeine anyway.

Poor bike fit over many hours can show up problems which shorter rides don’t, so get that right – fore-aft adjustments to the saddle, change stem, etc.

TiRed

The Twickenham CC blue train will be out in force again this year. I’m in the fast team at about 6:00, but I don’t think I’ll last to Newlands Corner in that group! 4:20 was be my target time, but I’ll be at least 20 minutes slower based on current fitness and (lack of) training.

njee20
    Free Member

I like my own bike and it could be a novelty, but the wind resistanc

36-11 isn’t that low at all. Hands either side of the stem, bend your elbows and get on with it.

Of my 24 rides up Box Hill the one on my mtb (with 2.25″ Rons at 25psi) is the fastest! People over estimate the difference.

I’ll be there at Newlands Corner fixing punctures again!

theflatboy
    Free Member

BP – that’s really useful about the start times, ta. I would be happy getting there and underway sooner rather than later so hopefully I can do that.

cinnamon_girl

Any idea of what the weather will be doing?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Currently forecasting:

5:00-6:00am
    12 degrees, sun/clouds, no rain, 2mph wind from the south gusting to 7mph

12:00 – 13:00
    21 degrees, sun/clouds, no rain, 6mph wind from SSW gusting to 14mph

16:00 – 17:00
    21 degrees, sun/clouds, no rain, 6mph wind from SSW gusting to 15mph

So, looking like a nice day as things stand at the moment

cinnamon_girl

Thanks piedi di formaggio, most helpful. 🙂

Back to dig out my thread on viewing places.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

I’ll be there at Newlands Corner fixing punctures again!

I’ll pop in and say hi.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

In fact, come to think of it, why don’t we ALL pop in and say hi to njee?

theflatboy
    Free Member

I will try! (where’s Newlands Corner?!)

jam-bo

Newlands…

about the 50 mile mark.

se99paj
    Free Member

Hi all – thought looking forward to the weekend, had a go at the Surrey Hills section on the weekend and it wasn’t too bad, fairly confident that the stretches in and out of London won’t be too bad.

Really interested to know about start times, my girlfriend and I are both doing the Ride London but I’m starting at 7 and she is starting at 8:30. What are the chances we’d be able to squeeze into the same start time, are they quite strict or will it be easy to hide within the 25,000 other people?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Can we encourage njee to meet us at the 40ish mile mark and do uplifts?

IHN

Can we encourage njee to meet us at the 40ish mile mark and do uplifts[b]lifts back to the Mall[/b]?

I’m in

freeagent
    Free Member

Anyone else absolutely bricking it?

I’ve not done enough training, due to work/family commitments. I’ve tried to get out 3 times a week, but it hasn’t always happened.
    The longest ride I’ve done this year is approx. 68 miles, with quite a few 20/30/40 mile rides.
    I’ve just got this creeping sense of foreboding, and can see myself doubled up with cramp somewhere in the Surrey hills.

The only good thing I have noticed is the weather forecast – high teens/low 20’s is perfect for me. I did a 35 miler a few weeks back when it was 34 degrees and it made me quite ill.

I’ll just be glad to complete it.

se99paj
    Free Member

Freeagent – I did the Surrey Hills section over the weekend and feel much more comfortable.

I think the best way to look at the route is break it down into sections, the first 1 being London into the Surrey Hills, this is fairly flat, I’ve done it before with cars on the road and felt it really easy.

The Surrey Hills are the challenging bit, but I think the three big hills actually get easier, Newlands Corner is a long hill, Leith Hill is steep and short, Box Hill is a fairly long but gentle gradient.

I haven’t done any of the route after Box Hill but sure it will be much easier/quicker as you’ll be on the way back to London

jam-bo

watch out for the short sharp nasty in wimbledon. after that its a 10 mile TT into the finish.

IHN

Freeagent – you sound like you’ve done about the same as me training wise. I was a bit nervous too, but I did 80 miles on Saturday and it was fine. I won’t be particularly quick, but I’ll get round the 100.

freeagent
    Free Member

Thanks folks – I’m sure I’ll be fine, I’m more nervous about this than any previous ride.
    I think it is because I’ve never done 100 before (longest ride I’ve ever done is a flat 86 miles last September) and never done this much climbing in one go (most was 3300ft last month on a 65 mile ride)

I normally ride at 13-14mph when I’m out on my own, am planning to complete this at 14-15mph – 15mph is around 6hrs 40…

simon_g

Anyone else absolutely bricking it?

I came very close to filling in the injured/ill withdrawal form at the weekend!

I keep flipping between “it’ll be fine, there are other underprepared numpties” and “you’ve barely ridden in the last 6 months, are you out of your mind?”.

Think the weather will decide. If it’s a pleasant day as per current forecast I’ll just get on with it. Rain = feigned illness and a guaranteed place next year which I’ll try to do any preparation for.

IHN

, am planning to complete this at 14-15mph – 15mph is around 6hrs 40…

Can’t see me being massively faster, that was the pace of the 80 at the weekend.

I’ve got to do it though, I didn’t get a ballot place so got a charity one, so I’ve got the best part of a grand’s worth of sponsorship for Shelter riding on it…

cheekyget
    Free Member

You will all be fine!!…..remember your not on your own…thousands will be riding with you…just find a pace your comfortable with ..top tip….save your legs on the downhills!!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Did 90 miles on Sunday before last and have just been doing quick-ish 20 milers in Richmond park since then. Feeling pretty good for it.

It’s going to work out at around 130 miles all in on the day though, so I could well be struggling by the end. If I didn’t have to get there and back is be confident of a good time.

I’ll probably puncture to pieces though 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

In fact, come to think of it, why don’t we ALL pop in and say hi to njee?

Aaw, yes, I actively encourage this! IRL I answer to Nick if you don’t want to go asking strange people their forum pseudonym… I’ll be in the Spesh EZ-Up! Hopefully it’ll be drier than last year and I’ll have a bit of spare time, rather than a queue of folk with broken bikes 10 deep!

I fear getting my car onto the course to offer lifts could prove a problem!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

So… Anyone else lost their registration form? The one that they tell you NOT TO LOSE in the magazine, and without it you cannot register at excel?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Not yet…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Just me then. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 317 total)

The topic ‘2015 Prudential ride 100’ is closed to new replies.