Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2012 55 RC3 Evo Ti forks – what are people's experiences? As good as claimed?
  • wl
    Free Member

As title really. Worth the considerable cost? Interested in overall performance and reliability, and any set-up tips. Ta.

pomona
    Free Member

Well worth the cost. Found them much better than my old 36 Vans that they replaced.
    Had them about 8 months and no issues at all with them.
    The only set-up tip I can offer is to favour the coil preload over the air. I find with too much air in the right leg they lose a lot of their plushness.

jedi

i have been using mine for months and just got back from the alps. not a peep out of them 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Cheers both. You rate the performance too, Jedi? I’ve got some 2010s already, the 2012s are for my other bike. Both sets replacing Van 36s. Just wanted to check that the newer ones are as good as the old, and as good as the reviews suggest they are. They’ll be off to the Alps for 2 weeks on Saturday.

jedi

i had 55r 2010’s and they are still the same. best fork i have used the rc3’s

boxxer7
    Free Member

It’s the damping that makes me smile every time I ride! They are such a well Controlled fork, granted the set up Of the hi/low compression knob is a bit of a pain to get perfect. Suprising how they stay up in their travel too.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Worth the considerable cost

Wait 6 months, at which point they will be half price. Like the 2010s were in 2011, and the 2011s were earlier this year. Despite glowing mag and owner reviews Marz are struggling to shake off their rep from the bad years and few people are buying them so there could be old stock left.

There were rumours they were going to pull out of MTB market (due to financial difficulties with the owners tenneco) but not heard anything recently

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/marzocchi-to-stop-producing-bike-stuff
    http://dirt.mpora.com/news/marzocchi-financial-difficulty.html

wl
    Free Member

CTM – good plan, I bagged my 2010s half price, and the 2012s have around 20% off right now. Thing is, I reckon the 2012s might just sell out before they hit 50% off this time though – people are cottoning on to the return of Marzocchi, especially as Fox seem to be getting more and more problematic/maintenance intensive. Besides, be good to have them for my trip.

jedi
    sprocker
    Free Member

Slight hijack but I have the 44 ti ‘s with the rc3 do people use the air assist as lots of reviews of the 55 and 44 which say that you must not have it on as it ruins the feel of the fork. I am 95 kg and therefore in my (poor) marzocchi manual it states I must have it on which to me makes the fork feel notchy. Would i be better to knock it off and dial in more high speed compression or just accept the way it feels, not sure if I can get a heavier spring. Sorry about hijack but sort of on topic if you are a bit heavier.

jedi

i use no air assist at all

sprocker
    Free Member

do you think it matters about my additional weight I can appreciate you come down from a much greater height than me just don’t want them to dive to much into corners and down steep stuff.

wl
    Free Member

I run my 2010 55s with no air – feel great, no diving. I’m around 12 stone kitted up.

captaindanger

Yes I’d say they were worth it, I have the 44s

pomona
    Free Member

I’m used to be the wrong side of 90kgs with all my gear on and I used so little air assist that the movement on the dial in my shock pump was barely noticeable.

jedi

i am 13-10 without kit and have no worries at all

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

You say kitted up wl but how much can a pair of cut off jeans, a Rotary Club 1987 T-shirt and a pair of Dunlop Green Flash trainers weigh?

wl
    Free Member

Lol…..what took you so long, Cupid? Don’t forget I ride with a spare set of forks upside-down in my backpack. Mind you, my microscopic Giro Hex is pretty light…

kimbers

im similar weight and still setting my 44s up right

i ran 5psi and no compression and it was too notchy, no air and about 1/2 compression and it seems good but can dive on big hits, im gonna try a tiny amount of air assist or failing that add more/heavier oil

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I love mine – I’m about 91kg without riding gear – I guess I must have a little bit of air in there but to be fair other than the odd click of rebound I don’t think I’ve adjusted them since I got the initial setup dialled in. they needed a drop of lube on the stanchions after 4 days in Chatel, otherwise fit, forget and enjoy the hell out of them.

My friend has had dreadful luck with the cheap 55’s though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2012 55 RC3 Evo Ti forks – what are people's experiences? As good as claimed?’ is closed to new replies.