Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Marzocchi to stop producing bike stuff?
  • ianv
    Free Member

A report on dirt says Tennaco is to close the loss making bike unit. Really really hope not as I have always loved marzocchi forks, especially now that they have got their s..t together again and are producing ace product. Sad.

scaredypants

got any linkage ?

it is a shame – I’ve had 2 of their forks and even the “shit” one isn’t bad

LoCo
    Free Member

http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/Marzocchi-Facing-Financial-Troubles-May-Close,381

Cheers for the update, hadn’t heard anything about this until read this,
    if they’re not making money it would make sense, after 3 years of having a bad rep. and not selling much I guess they’re see it as too much effort and too exspensive to build the brand back up.

Maybe they’ll pull out of the MTB market for a few years, till the financial situation starts to recover and them come back with a new range, producing the Moto stuff would mean they’ll have the kit to re start production relativly easily.

al2000

The new forks are great – my 44RC3’s are fantastic. I guess the years when they went to sh1t did so much damage to their reputation that they couldn’t recover. Sad news.

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/marzocchi-financial-difficulty.html

retro83
    Free Member

Wow, that’s a shame. What a colossal **** up moving their production out to the far East was. Totally ruined their reputation in just a couple of years. I wonder who made that decision. Probably some big swinging ballbag exec who gave himself a big pat on the back for saving money on the production costs.

Harry_the_Spider

Bugger, I like ’em.

Got 2 pairs that have been running well for years and I can’t kill… so I guess they aren’t getting any repeat business from people like me.

wwaswas

I suspect it would be sold rather than closed?

*looks at 2 pairs of 44 Micro Ti’s in the garage and hopes for a good outcome*

LoCo
    Free Member

Closing their MTB arm, sounds like they’d still be producing the ‘power sports’ stuff which is the money making part of the business.

xiphon
    Free Member

Perhaps their products are getting too over-complicated these days? All sorts of new clever damping tech/fork tech… which breaks down…

Therefore they get labelled as ‘a shit year for Marz’ ?

My old Monster (1999) are still working mint to this day! And they’re incredibly simple mechanically.. ( I know they’re not ubber-tech by todays standards, but their simplicity has stood the test of time)

And don’t they have a massive range (i.e. too big?) of products to maintain?

Bitten off more they can chew?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I still have my original Z1’s I love ’em!

Also have a pair of Shivers, another great fork.

Still want a pair of AM1…

messiah
    Free Member

I hope for a good outcome. I’ve not used Zoke’s for a few years but I’m always tempted to come back as I have happy memories of them.

greeble
    Free Member

never liked them never have (apart from the days when the z1 bams were around). fox and rockshox are the leaders in the market now since marzocchi made a series of bad batches over the years people have lost faith in them. All the major wc teams run fox or rockshox.
    888’s with string in them – i mean seriously come on!.
    Wont be shedding a tear for them no major loss tbh.

sobriety
    Free Member

🙁 All my bikes run Marz, they go boing-squelch since they’re full of oil and don’t grind stanchions into paste.

ianv
    Free Member

Closing their MTB arm, sounds like they’d still be producing the ‘power sports’ stuff which is the money making part of the business.

Not that long ago the american guy who heads the bike arm was boasting about the much higher margins in bike suspension than in the automotive stuff.

How he managed to keep his job after effectively destroying the brand in 2008 with the move to overseas production is beyond me.

Jackrabbit
    Free Member

Marzocchi are being taken over by Sram. They’re moving part of the production to Germany and abandoning the rest. Not sure what effect this will have on the lineup though.

toons
    Free Member

source?

ianv
    Free Member

Marzocchi are being taken over by Sram. They’re moving part of the production to Germany and abandoning the rest. Not sure what effect this will have on the lineup though.

Would love to think the brand will be saved but would hate to think that the product will just be rebadged rockshox.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the bomber z2s were in one of the best colours of anything ever made. even better than the also exemplary z1s.

kimbers

i really hope it gets sold some people who love bikes

marzocchi transformed the sport back in the day

forks went from crappy elastomer sprung, undamped flexy health hazards to buttery smooth indestrucable mountain munchers thanks to marzocchi
    plenty of those 90s bombers are still running today, longevity that makes 15hr service intervals look like the joke they are!

Wozza
    Free Member

My brother had some z4’s and some mx pros. He rode them to work everyday and then hammered them all weekend. “Hey have you ever serviced these?” “Yeah… I put some air in 4 years ago”.

Great forks at the time, but when I was looking for something new they didn’t have anything that matched up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

fox and rockshox are the leaders in the market now since marzocchi made a series of bad batches over the years people have lost faith in them.

Rock shox: anyone remember how dreadfull everything pre reba/revelation/pike? I had some dukes and they were just awfull forks.

Fox: Stanchions, and the 40’s have a reputation for needing a rebuild every 5 miuntes.

All the major wc teams run fox or rockshox.

Intense/Nukeproof CRC?

Besides, they’re paid to ride what they’re given, iff ‘Zocchi are in financial dificulty they wont have been paying big bucks to get them on big teams.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Why would SRAM buy another fork manufacturer?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why would SRAM buy another fork manufacturer?

Google says nothing? Source Jack?

Especialy seeing as ‘zocchi were always associated with the burly end of the spectrum, where RS’s Boxxer is equaly iconic?

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with DBW, can’t see SRAM buying them.

I think they struggle with a bit of an identity crisis, I just don’t really know anything about them, and I like to think I know a reasonable amount about bikes. I remember the old Z1-Z5 range in the late 90s/early 00s, Monster-Ts, MX Comps etc etc, but I have no idea at all what their rival to an F100 or a SID is these days (if they even have one), and consequently I’d not consider buying them. Suggests this:

And don’t they have a massive range (i.e. too big?) of products to maintain?

Could be true.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Sad news 😥

My 44RC3ti s have been absolutely superb. Knocked the spots of the previous Fox junk that disintigrated within 9 months. 🙁
    I’m so very tempted to buy some 55s or 66s in RC3ti flavour now, while I can, even though I haven’t yet sorted a bike to put ’em on.

Northwind

Hmm, I would’ve thought they’d bin the Suntour name and keep Zocchi even if it were just a case of renaming all the XCRs etc? Marzocchi might have lost some of their brand rep but it’s still a strong name.

hora
    Free Member

A real shame but the blip they had really was unbelievable.

In addition, how do you make a loss on such ticket items that aren’t that complex internally?!!!! Afterall they aint FIT internals are they?

Signed alongterm Mazz fan 🙁

ianv
    Free Member

I’m so very tempted to buy some 55s or 66s in RC3ti flavour now, while I can, even though I haven’t yet sorted a bike to put ’em on

Wait till they are being knocked out cheap on CRC.

wwaswas

this just came up on twitter from the UK Marzocchi Rep;

positive vibes coming out of #Marzocchi watch this space

scruff
    Free Member

2005 FORKS WERE GREAT

hora
    Free Member

When I was buying my DH170 Lyriks the lbs also brought out some 55 RC3’s. I liked them however I couldn’t understand why the 55’s were £200 more (at that shops pricing).

Wiggle’s was a fantastic deal!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Wait till they are being knocked out cheap on CRC.

…buys stack of vouchers and sits back in a manner closely resembling that of a (hungry) big cat …

wl
    Free Member

It will be cool if CRC etc sell them off cheap; not so cool if there’s no back-up or spare parts.

blooddonor
    Free Member

Heard hope was thinking about buying that side of the bizness,maybe bollocks,you never know?

GaryLake
    Free Member

but I have no idea at all what their rival to an F100 or a SID is these days (if they even have one), and consequently I’d not consider buying them.

The Corsa Superleggera and it’s quite good. And with 3 years warranty with no servicing stipulations too. Be a shame to see it go under just as they’re turning it around.

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/gear/components/forks-mtb/marzocchi-corsa-super-leggera-rc.htm

kimbers

how sad based on gary lakes review up there the supperlaga wees all over the sids and f series but obviously no ne buys them

i think id like hope to have them, great service would be guaranteed!

walleater

2007 FORKS WERE GREATERER.

johnners
    Free Member

THe 2004 Z1 FR was the pinnacle of fork development.

I’m looking forward to the 10th anniversary of mine in about 3 years time, I’ll probably celebrate by giving them their first service.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Shame if this happens, had pretty-much decided on a 55 for next year now that they’ve put the 2008 debacle behind them.

oldfart

So does that mean warranties won’t be honoured ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi to stop producing bike stuff?’ is closed to new replies.