• This topic has 58 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • 2009 Singletrack Reader Awards – VOTE NOW!
  • Ben_Haworth

Your nominations have been sifted through and we’ve drawn up the finalists for each category.

The great thing about our awards is that they are entirely reader based, so it’s all about you and your experiences, so the results aren’t dictated by any bureaucratic back-handers.

NB: You can only vote once. You can click on images to go to manufacturers’ site. The “Best Feature” finalists are available to read online (again, click the icons to investigate).

Click here to go to the online voting page.

Drac

Done!

Ben_Haworth

Ta! 🙂

sv

+1.

GaryLake
    Free Member

+1

Ben_Haworth

Ta x 2 😉

nbt

Was I too fast? I voted at about 10am!

Drac

Good for you.

GavinB

I appear to mostly have 'no opinion'!

Sorry, but I can't really give a comparison between three different products unless I've tried all three – otherwise I'd just be giving an opinion from other people's opinions on here… 😯

I mean, 18 Bikes is a great shop, but no idea if they're any better or worse than any of the others.

Mark

So what's your point?

I don;t mean that in a facetious way.. Genuinely asked..

🙂

nuke

Done.

Surprised to see Nirvana cycles in Best Bike Shop

jojoA1
    Free Member

I think we would be ok to just vote for the option you know. Otherwise there will be very few votes for some of the categories.

nbt

Mark – Administrator

So what's your point?

I don;t mean that in a facetious way.. Genuinely asked..

I was thinking the same as Gavin. It's more of a popularity contest than a case of "this is better than that", but that's not a bad thing – if anything that's the point? If I genuinely like something, I'll vote for it – e.g. I think lee quarry is ace, so that got a vote, or if I hate something I'll not vote for it (Hi dan :lol:). MOst were "no opinion" though.

One thing, when I go back now, it says I've voted and can't vote again which is fine – can you display out what I voted for?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, but I can't really give a comparison between three different products unless I've tried all three – otherwise I'd just be giving an opinion from other people's opinions on here…

I mean, 18 Bikes is a great shop, but no idea if they're any better or worse than any of the others.

I was pretty much the same

Why?
    Hope Hoops and Garmin GPS are hardly 'new products' are they?
    I wouldn't buy any of the bikes listed in either catergory
    I didn't do any of those events
    Shops – Is Nirvana Cycles the one in Westcott? I wouldn't give them the steam off my wee after the woman in there was rude to me the only time I ever went in, and I don't know the other shops.

etc….

EDIT
    Actually I lied. I've been to Biketreks a couple of times and they are very helpful. I voted for them.

AndyP
    Free Member

Likewise, but I can't see a problem with that? It'd be a bit wierd if you HAD to vote for something you knew nothing about.

Drac

Is that not the whole point of them adding no opinion to the votes, if you have no experience if the products or places you can just opt for that.

GavinB

Yeah, fair points back at me.
    I was just a bit surprised (at myself mostly) that I had no direct knowledge of half the pieces of kit, or the events etc. I just wondered how many people were voting for things they'd never ridden.

MadPierre

I was pretty much no opinion on most too.

So what happens if "no opinion" wins all the categories? 😉

gingerflash

yeah, mostly no opinion here.

Even though I know and like biketreks, it still doesn't seem right to vote for them as better than two other shops I've never visited (although I did anyway).

It is just a popularity contest: great things people know little about aren't going to get as many votes as good things that are well known.

Mind you, it's the Singletrack awards, not the Nobel or Oscars. Does it really matter that much?

GavinB

Mind you, it's the Singletrack awards, not the Nobel or Oscars. Does it really matter that much?

True! 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

As above I seem to be mainly 'no opinion'. I can hardly vote for 3 bike shops I've never been in, nor can I vote on best new bike when I haven't tried them. Best trail centre – I can vote for the one I've been to.

Do people just generally vote for whatever they think is most fashionable?

Where does the shortlist come from?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I cant believe the Big Bike Bash was an option for best event 🙁

Drac

I cant believe the Big Bike Bash was an option for best event

I guess those who went didn't nominate it enough.

lowey

IS this a good time to open the trail centre vs trail debate ?

Mark

I'd say it's a perfect time 🙂

Debate away 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

Whats the point?

How can you have a readers award with only three things in each category? To be totally cynical, but probably hopefully wrong, it all looks like some advertising rubbish. I have honestly never seen in the flesh any of the choices never mind used them and I doubt many of the people on here have either.

Well at least it will look dum when the results come out.. and the winner is "I have no opinion."

Baldysquirt

Isn't the point that we, the Singletrack Readership, nominated the items in each category. I sent a nomination in, and a number of those I nominated are in the final list. That means I can vote for things I do have experience of. I assume that only nominated things got into the categories, so some people on here must have wanted to see them included.

Drac

How can you have a readers award with only three things in each category?

As that's the final nominations from the ones readers nominated, you did nominate didn't you?

lowey

OK, how does Lee Quarry hope to compete in the category of Best Trail Center given your criteria :-

Best UK Trail Centre
    Which trail center has given you the best blend of fantastic riding, facilities and overall enjoyment in the past year?

Given that description, I would have thought that you are precluding some of the best man made stuff around. The award will no doubt go to Glentress again, not because of just the trails, but it has a cafe, bike shop, showers etc etc.

All I was suggesting was maybe a category of best man made trail (not center) which would open things up for the like of Gisburn, Penmachno, Lee Qaurry etc etc…

I dont buy the line that "this maybe the incentive they need to build better facilities". Personally, I would much rather see the money spent on more trails rather that a posh cafe serving overpriced coffee.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents… I;m sure everyone will rightly have their own opinion.

Baldysquirt

lowey, isn't it up to those who are voting to assess what they see as the most important elements of that category. Fantastic riding comes well above anything else for me, so I voted with that in mind. That's the point, surely.

Drac

Good point Lowey but yet it still made it to the final 3, Glentress is hugely popular so nearly always wins. I voted for Lee Quarry as what it has done in such a small area is very impressive and has made good use of land that was pretty much wasted.

vinnyeh

All I was suggesting was maybe a category of best man made trail (not center) which would open things up for the like of Gisburn, Penmachno, Lee Qaurry etc etc…

Most of the trails ie bridleways etc in this country are manmade. Purpose built would be a better category name in my opinion, or better still, would be a worthwhile addition as a new category. I've ridden some cracking purpose built stuff this year that wouldn't (shouldn't) get a look in in the existing category due to lack of facilities.

mt
    Free Member

18 bikes by what measure is it better than loads of other shops in the country?

Ben_Haworth

MT – people sent in lots of nominations for it. Is that a satisfactory measure for it? 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

people sent in lots of nominations for it

Roughly speaking how many nominations is 'lots'. I'd be interested to know how many nominations it takes to get on the shortlist.

Does anyone take these nominations seriously apart from the winners? By that I mean would it sway you in any way to buy a product. Or is it just a bit of fun?

Sim

Does anyone take these nominations seriously apart from the winners? By that I mean would it sway you in any way to buy a product. Or is it just a bit of fun?

On a website dedicated to riding bicycles over hills in the mud whilst wearing lycra and polystyrene seriousness is pretty realtive 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

So thats a 'no' then.

Drac

I'd be interested to know how many nominations it takes to get on the shortlist.

More than those that didn't make it is my guess.

wors

I'd be interested to know how many nominations it takes to get on the shortlist.

why?

Harry_the_Spider

Aren’t people reading a bit too much into this?

If the shortlist is dictated by a website user's secret ballot and you disagree with the outcome then I’m afraid it’s tough.

Recognition from your peers is nice and means a lot more to some people than others. Me, Terrahawk, TheOriginalPunkRockDad and RammyRunner made it to the final three last year and winning the trophy would have meant an awful lot to us. As it happens we lost out to the World’s at Fort William and the UCI didn’t send anybody to Hebden Bridge on a wet Friday night to pick up the prize. We went, we had a good time and we had a chat to the chaps from the mag and a few other people. We got over it.

Would an award to Ragley mean more to them than it would to Garmin or Specialized?… Dunno.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘2009 Singletrack Reader Awards – VOTE NOW!’ is closed to new replies.