Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)
  • 20 MPH Speed Limits
  • Cougar

Neither is 30.

So let’s do the opposite of what we do now: default 20 with some bits made 30 (or more) by signs.

Or, we could appraise all those roads and make sensible decisions accordingly, regrading where appropriate, rather than defaulting to one or the other being “correct except when it’s not.”

Cougar- I’m not arguing the points because these debates have been had infinitum and the outcome is 20mph speed limits.

Where’s that then? If you could provide a link to that absolute unequivocal conclusion, we could move on to something else (and save a lot of people a lot of work).

This thread is about enforcement and for some it appears if a law is not enforced it makes it optional which is rather sad.

It was about two pages back. It’s drifted a bit since.

Respond with all the flowery words you like, your argument is lost.

Difference is, I have one to lose.

Cougar

There wasn’t a lot of waste ground/empty building space in London (or any other city) the last time I looked.

Well, no, but I think we can put London down as “special case.” They have their own rules and everything, via TfL.

I’m sure you’re not advocating kids playing in traffic in London, but from what I’ve seen there is an argument for driving more traffic out of central London and forcing people onto public transport. All those side streets beloved of cab drivers don’t all need to be open access, do they?

slackalice
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences, 20zones here in Portsmouth and Southsea for at least a couple of years and I like them, as do the townsfolk.

It’s impossible to zoom along in built up / urban areas nowadays anyway, so what’s with the need for an extra 10mph that would increase the risks of death if a pedestrian or cyclist was hit at 30mph?

I’m finding it a good way to chill the **** out, slow down a bit and the slower speed enables me to be more aware.

Sounds like the OP has a case of nimby 😉

GrahamS

Or, we could appraise all those roads and make sensible decisions accordingly, regrading where appropriate, rather than defaulting to one or the other being “correct except when it’s not.”

We could but appraising every road in the country seems like a lot of work. And having no default means you’d need to put up millions more speed signs.

If you have a default 20 then people will complain when it is too slow and a 30 is more appropriate. It’s like crowd-sourcing by complaint.

And again that’s just the opposite of what happens now, where people currently need to campaign to get 20 zones put in.

The difference is that defaulting to 20 is safer overall. Defaulting to the safest option is a pretty good approach in my experience.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m sure you’re not advocating kids playing in traffic in London, but from what I’ve seen there is an argument for driving more traffic out of central London and forcing people onto public transport. All those side streets beloved of cab drivers don’t all need to be open access, do they?

I’m not advocating kids playing in traffic anywhere. I’m advocating removing the traffic from the areas where people live – separating streets where people live from through roads. All of those streets should be made useful only for the people who live there (and will be default also become pleasant and safe for cycling on). Yes, people live on the through roads too be but they’ll not be far from a quiet side street in future.

Cougar

We could but appraising every road in the country seems like a lot of work. And having no default means you’d need to put up millions more speed signs.

You’d have to do that anyway.

The difference is that defaulting to 20 is safer overall.

Why not default to 15 then? 10? Getting out and walking?

I take your point, I do. But it’s a simplistic answer. It’d be ignored en masse, just like the 30 limits largely are now; it’s a bigger problem which requires a bigger solution than just replacing one arbitrary number with another one.

The problem IMHO in this country is we suffer from ‘the boy who cried wolf’. Limits are inconsistent, too high in places, too low in others. Therefore, many drivers (rightly or wrongly) treat them as advisory. If they were more appropriate generally then the great unwashed would take them more seriously.

I saw this in action recently, on holiday in France. Limits are actually lower overall than here, but they are much better at letting drivers make progress when it’s safe to do so and then slowing them down again when it’s not, that almost everyone drives at the speed limit or close to it. At 70mph in the UK you’re constantly either overtaking or being overtaken; at 110kph in France everyone’s moving at pretty much the same pace (and lane discipline is SO MUCH better).

Our “intelligent motorways” are a massive step in the right direction; drop the limits when there’s a problem, raise it when there isn’t. The system demonstrably works. But a blanket dropping of urban speed limits will make precisely no difference until we’ve got SPECS cameras everywhere, or satellite monitoring. Which is probably only a matter of time.

Cougar

I’m not advocating kids playing in traffic anywhere. I’m advocating removing the traffic from the areas where people live – separating streets where people live from through roads.

No arguments here (pretty sure that’s what I just proposed), so long as you teach your kids how to cross roads when they venture beyond the borders. I think that’s a great idea at least in theory.

mattsccm
    Free Member

There can be no reason to object that isn’t plain selfish. An objection to the extra tie taken is easily overcome. start a few minutes earlier.
    Equally there is no reason to object to reduced motorway speeds. Start earlier.
    Anything else is just typical of the selfish world we live in.
    There is no justification for anyone saying that they need to exceed any speed limits. The suitability of the road to do so is irrelevant. Better minds than yours have decided otherwise.
    Speeders = selfish beyond contempt.

irc

There is no justification for anyone saying that they need to exceed any speed limits. The suitability of the road to do so is irrelevant. Better minds than yours have decided otherwise.

So every speed limit in the country is exactly right in all conditions. Neither too low or too high. I stand in awe of those better minds.

wwaswas

It’s a maximum speed, not a target. You can drive slower if conditions dictate.

prettygreenparrot

@wwaswas – spot-on.

20MPH seems a reasonable limit in tight urban areas. There’s a chance that some drivers will get closer to a range of 20MPH to 30MPH in a 20MPH zone. Certainly more chance than in a 30MPH max zone where folks seem to think 35MPH to 50MPH is acceptable.

Enforceable? Well, if it’s a legal limit then it’s surely enforceable. Whether the police can practically enforce it. Or even catch anyone who exceeds it. Well, that’s a different thing all together.

Anecdotally, I have a 20MPH zone that starts near where I live. The speed bumps are the gentle sort. It’s not unusual to get folks doing >40MPH out of the 20MPH zone into the 30MPH zone. Yes, I’ve idly sat and timed them over a known distance, and yes, I have some idea of the imprecision in the measurements.

@slackalice. I like your style. I find that thinking seriously about speed limits in urban areas and respecting them makes driving more relaxing and has really helped make me not bother about getting across the next set of lights in the next change. Hey, they’ll change sometime and I’ll get where I need to be. Maybe I should’ve set off more promptly if it looks like I might be late.

imnotverygood

& so when they lower the limit, a speed which was safe yesterday no longer is today?

aP
    Free Member

I think the point is that to everyone outside of your car that the existing speed limit is probably too high. Living in London it’s hard as a pedestrian to cross roads because people speed. But then they also knock pedestrians down like the poor guy I happened across earlier tonight.

GrahamS

& so when they lower the limit, a speed which was safe yesterday no longer is today?

No, the speed yesterday was still less safe than a slower speed today.

It’s about relative risk. An absolute value of “safe” or “not safe” makes no sense at all.

But you knew that.

imnotverygood

OK, so the relative risk yesterday is the same as it was today. So those driving at 30mph in a 30mph limit are not taking any extra risk over those drivng at 30mph in a newly created 20mph limit. So why the opprobrium?

Cougar

There can be no reason to object that isn’t plain selfish. An objection to the extra tie taken is easily overcome. start a few minutes earlier.
    Equally there is no reason to object to reduced motorway speeds. Start earlier.

New about-town limit is 5mph. New motorway limit is 10mph. There’s no reason to object to that unless you’re selfish. Off you go.

Better minds than yours have decided otherwise.

“Better” minds decided fairly arbitarily based on road conditions in the 60s.

It’s a maximum speed, not a target. You can drive slower if conditions dictate.

You can, but you’ll fail your driving test for “failure to make progress” if conditions don’t dictate and you don’t drive at the limit.

Old chestnut, anyone?

bigblackshed

imnotverygood – Member
    OK, so the relative risk yesterday is the same as it was today. So those driving at 30mph in a 30mph limit are not taking any extra risk over those drivng at 30mph in a newly created 20mph limit.

There’s a number of things here.

The risk is actual, not relative.

The risk is not to the driver, but to the vulnerable road users, pedestrians and cyclists.

There would be a higher risk to the vulnerable road users if the driver was speeding than adhering to the new 20mph limit, because they should, incorrectly in this case, expect the driver to be obeying the speed limit and would base their decisions based on expected circumstances rather than unusual or out of control actions.

GrahamS

New about-town limit is 5mph. New motorway limit is 10mph. There’s no reason to object to that unless you’re selfish. Off you go.

But at those speeds there is no way those organs I donated will make it to the recipient in time.

There you go 😉

“Better” minds decided fairly arbitarily based on road conditions in the 60s.

You say this as if traffic engineers are looking at modern roads and saying “well we better make that road a 30 because there is no way my Morris Minor will make it round the corner at 40.”

You can, but you’ll fail your driving test for “failure to make progress” if conditions don’t dictate and you don’t drive at the limit.

Has that ever actually happened to anyone?

Not knowing the limit or hesitating far too long at a clear junction would be an issue, but has anyone really failed for doing 25 in a 30?

My instructor advised me to do 20ish in all residential streets and slow further if there were kids about. I did and I passed. If I’d done the limit I’d have failed.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I saw this in action recently, on holiday in France. Limits are actually lower overall than here, but they are much better at letting drivers make progress when it’s safe to do so and then slowing them down again when it’s not, that almost everyone drives at the speed limit or close to it. At 70mph in the UK you’re constantly either overtaking or being overtaken; at 110kph in France everyone’s moving at pretty much the same pace (and lane discipline is SO MUCH better).

I’ve driven 1000+ miles in France annually for the last 6 years or so and I think this is another fallacy. On the Autoroutes the limit is 130/80 but it’s 110 when it’s wet. They’re less congested than in the UK (France has the UK population in nearly 3 times the area) which helps and as a result often 2 lanes not 3 which gives the illusion of better discipline. On the autoroutes the max speed is generally obeyed because there are a lot of speed cameras, they’re fairly covert, and radar/satnav notification is illegal.

Off the autoroutes the French drive too fast, too close and too drunk. Their accident stats probably look OK because no-one walks anywhere in the country (certainly in the south).

It’s definitely more relaxing driving in France but I’m not sure it’s anything to do with more appropriate speed limits and I don’t think they’re really any lower.

Which is symptomatic of the screwed up attitude we have to speed on the roads – that’s another hangover from the 60’s/70’s that needs to be stamped out.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Has that ever actually happened to anyone?

I remember being told to make progress by my driving instructor on hitting a 40mph or 50mph road coming out of town in a 30.

You say this as if traffic engineers are looking at modern roads and saying “well we better make that road a 30 because there is no way my Morris Minor will make it round the corner at 40.

I understand almost the opposite is true. If the engineers are told it’s a 30 limit they have to engineer the corners and sightlines for a heavy vehicle (eg rubbish truck) to take them at that speed. That means conventional vehicles are encouraged by the road design to go much faster. Look at the Dutch approach to roundabouts – adverse camber put on to force people to slow down. If that was done here you’d have Daily Mail stories about ‘dangerous road design’ after people crashed taking them at 40.

Look at this FFS – Wimbledon Bollard

A bollard put in place to protect the pedestrian crossing cause spate of collisions because drivers are trying to cut the corner to take the junction quickly instead of slowing down.

Woman rolls car in petrol station hitting kerb. Story is the ‘dangerous kerb’ of course. How fast adn incompetent would you have to be going to roll a car in that situation? http://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/local-news/motorist-in-danger-kerb-call-1-6590725

molgrips
    Free Member

Infuriatingly slow, eh. Well. Perception of speed is relative. After having driven at 120mph on Autobahns being forced to slow to 50moh felt like being virtually stopped.

However, drive at 30mph for a while and then 50 feels quick.

You’ll soon get used to 20mph, so just give up and stop worrying about it. It really won’t make a drop of difference to your life.

Cougar

I’ve driven 1000+ miles in France annually for the last 6 years or so and I think this is another fallacy.

Sorry, I should have said “in my experience.” Thatwas talking about 850 miles over a fortnight driving from Calais to Senonches and back with various sight-seeing over those two weeks. Whether it’s representative of France as a whole or not I don’t know, but it’s not really important; point was, I’ve seen a working system, whether or not it’s a microcosm.

Look at this FFS – Wimbledon Bollard

Yeah, they have those near me, only they paint them black.

Cougar

Thus,

These are fun things when you’re driving along in poor visibility in a 30 zone.

GrahamS

Could do with some reflectives on that bollard, but honestly if you’re in a residential 30 in “poor visibility” then you really should be going pretty slowly (say < 15mph) so hopefully you’d have no trouble spotting it… or a child’s face.

D28boy
    Free Member

Yes and what if there’s an injured Robin on the road too ! Will someone please think of our wildlife being decimated on our roads.

aP
    Free Member

OP – why don’t you just come out and say that you find other people setting limits on your behaviour infuriating, and then accept that pretty much everyone else is going to say, “Yes, sometimes you can’t do things you want to do, because its been deemed by the majority to not be appropriate”.

D28boy
    Free Member

Wise words aP. Of course you’re right .

brooess
    Free Member

Yes and what if there’s an injured Robin on the road too ! Will someone please think of our wildlife being decimated on our roads.

When you cycle you see a lot of dead/totally flattened/dying animals on the roads. It’s quite sad that no-one seems too concerned about it. It’s actually pretty horrible to ride past a half-dead squirrel writhing in agony 😯

GrahamS

Yep, from what I’ve seen by the road we won’t be needing a badger cull round this way any time soon. 🙁

IdleJon

Cougar – Moderator

No arguments here (pretty sure that’s what I just proposed), so long as you teach your kids how to cross roads when they venture beyond the borders. I think that’s a great idea at least in theory.

Is there really a problem in kids not knowing how to cross roads or is this just something you’ve made up for an argument? Or is the issue really that roads are increasingly difficult to cross because of lazy motorists who can’t be bothered to stay within the speed limit, stop at amber lights or even indicate to let other know their intentions?

Should I mention how pavements are increasingly unsafe as well because of cars parking as far onto them as possible?

GrahamS

Should I mention how pavements are increasingly unsafe

2012 saw 27 pedestrians killed and 430 seriously injured whilst on the pavement!

(RAS30026)

Cougar

Is there really a problem in kids not knowing how to cross roads or is this just something you’ve made up for an argument?

It’s my perception, I may be wrong. I’m basing it on the number of kids I see regularly frolicking on main roads around where I live, and the propensity for mouth breathers to cross roads by walking diagonally across them (offspring in tow) with little or no warning before they drift off the kerb into traffic. I can only conclude one of two scenarios are the case here:

1) No-one’s teaching road safety any more, or

2) They’re teaching road safety and are being ignored.

Or is the issue really that roads are increasingly difficult to cross because of lazy motorists who can’t be bothered to stay within the speed limit, stop at amber lights or even indicate to let other know their intentions?

That may well be the case too. Though I don’t see what speed has to do with your ability to cross; are cars safer to stroll out in front of if they’re doing 20mph? Traffic volume is your issue there surely, rather than speed?

Have you considered using pedestrian crossings? They seem to work really well in my experience.

Should I mention how pavements are increasingly unsafe as well because of cars parking as far onto them as possible?

I agree that’s really selfish and annoying, but how does that make pavements “unsafe” exactly? Are you talking about blocking them completely, forcing people onto the road?

amedias
    Free Member

That may well be the case too. Though I don’t see what speed has to do with your ability to cross; are cars safer to stroll out in front of if they’re doing 20mph? Traffic volume is your issue there surely, rather than speed?

Volume yes, but if the traffic is travelling faster it means any gaps in traffic are shorter.

there’s a couple of roads I know where bends in either direction mean that line of sight is pretty poor and even when the road is clear you can get cars coming round the bend and the faster they are going the less time you have.

IdleJon

Though I don’t see what speed has to do with your ability to cross; are cars safer to stroll out in front of if they’re doing 20mph?

Have you never started to cross the road expecting the distant car to be within the speed limit only to have to skip across the last few metres when you realise that he’s actually doing 40mph?

Imagine if you are a 10 yr old and not used to judging speed, or experienced enough to understand the stupid things that drivers do. Or maybe imagine the day when you are not too mobile and not expecting cars to be doing 30%/50%/whatever over the limit.

Have you considered using pedestrian crossings? They seem to work really well in my experience.

Patronising? Have you considered travelling within the speed limit? 😉

Hmm, yes in theory. Until you have cars sailing through the red light. I reckon that I’d need to wait at the crossing near my house for all of 10 minutes before I spotted my first RLJer. Not safe for a child who’s not expecting cars to do it. We have a big problem there but the council won’t do anything because nobody has been hurt.

I agree that’s really selfish and annoying, but how does that make pavements “unsafe” exactly? Are you talking about blocking them completely, forcing people onto the road?

I live on a main road with cars parked on the pavement all the way along. I’ve stepped out of my front door and had to jump back to avoid being hit by a parking car. I’ve had to stop my kids from running down the pavement ahead of me when I’ve seen a car about to park on the pavement and know that he won’t see small kids hidden by the other parked cars. I’ve actually been hit by a minibus who pulled away seemingly unaware that the back end would swing further than the front end as she pulled off the pavement. I could add many more incidents to this but it would get very boring.

Yeah, and add in the pavement being blocked so that you have to walk in the road, etc.

This really isn’t difficult stuff to work out?

Cougar

if the traffic is travelling faster it means any gaps in traffic are shorter.

Ah, I see what you’re saying; the gaps between strings of traffic need to be longer as speed increases, I was thinking about the traffic itself. Sure.

there’s a couple of roads I know where bends in either direction mean that line of sight is pretty poor and even when the road is clear you can get cars coming round the bend and the faster they are going the less time you have.

I’d avoid crossing there if I were you, that sounds really dangerous. You’d fare better a little further down the road where you’ve better visibility, I expect.

amedias
    Free Member

Ah, I see what you’re saying; the gaps between strings of traffic need to be longer as speed increases

Bingo, heavy traffic at speed is a nightmare to cross in, reduce either the speed or volume and it’s a lot easier, fortunately on most roads where this is a problem there are decent (lighted) crossings. But it’s becoming a bigger and bigger problem around some residential streets used as rat-runs and schools on big roads here.

I’d avoid crossing there if I were you, that sounds really dangerous. You’d fare better a little further down the road where you’ve better visibility, I expect.

Sadly life doesn’t always live up to expectations 😉

I try to as well whenever there are roads like that, not always possible in some cases, and not everybody has the same presence of mind, and I wouldn’t necessarily expect kids to think like that, or the elderly or people with mobility problems. Not to mention that expecting the pedestrians to mitigate for poor driving is entirely backwards, it’s better to address the driving so that it *is* safe enough to cross there, its the cars imposing the danger, not the choice to cross, It is a perfectly safe place to cross there when traffic is travelling at appropriate speed.

You have the same problems as a cyclist and motorist pulling out of junctions that are placed like that too, bends/poor visibility in both directions, fine when people doing sensible speed but if they are not they can be round the corner and T-boning you in seconds. Suggesting I try and find an alternative junction to pull out of isn’t really a viable solution!

But now we’re into discussing the minutiae of specific roads, which isn’t really productive as this is a general discussion.

Cougar

Have you never started to cross the road expecting the distant car to be within the speed limit only to have to skip across the last few metres when you realise that he’s actually doing 40mph?

It happens, but I’m usually a pretty good judge of speed. I take your point about the young / infirm though (I kinda misinterpreted the point I was replying to, as I said in my previous post, sorry).

Patronising? Have you considered travelling within the speed limit?

Presumptuous? I generally do, certainly in built-up areas anyway.

I’ve stepped out of my front door and had to jump back to avoid being hit by a parking car. [etc]

Good grief, really?

This really isn’t difficult stuff to work out?

My front door doesn’t open onto a pavement, so it wasn’t something that had occurred to me. Plus I thought the issue being raised was one of parked cars rather than those in the act of parking.

Incidentally, are you in London? Parking on the pavement is specifically illegal there, they have a bylaw for it. Good thing IMHO.

molgrips
    Free Member

are cars safer to stroll out in front of if they’re doing 20mph?

Absolutely.

aP
    Free Member

When people speed on roads, particularly in built up areas it affects the behaviours of lots of other people. Other drivers pulling out of side roads are forced to drive aggressively as that car approaching from the right, say, if travelling at or below the speed limit gives them adequate time to pull out – however, as so many speed they are forced to accelerate hard to be certain of getting out safely. Cyclists end up riding on pavements or being forced off the road, pedestrians don’t walk alongside those roads or when they do and want to cross the road take a lottery as to whether they’ll be able to do so or not.
    The overwhelming bias towards motor vehicles in our towns and cities disadvantages all of us – residents, pedestrians, children, cyclists, shop keepers… the studies are out there, Mayer Hillman for one has written for many years about how unfettered use of vehicles reduces or stops many other activities.

D0NK

These are fun things when you’re driving along in poor visibility in a 30 zone.

that one is directly below a streetlamp and seems (not a great pic) to have hiviz/reflector on the very top, could maybe be a bit more obvious but not a great example, I’d have thought.

I get what you are saying about teaching kids about being safe on and around roads but I don’t think the majority of those supporting 20 limits are against that, or advocating washing their hands of all responsibility for their kids on residential roads. The reclaim the street party vids from GrahamS’ links are occasional fun days and promotional material, I doubt they are really expecting (or promoting) families to be having picnics in the middle of the road day to day.

I’d appreciate a lot more bollards in the middle of residential streets too, allowing what should be quiet narrow residential streets to become rat runs is a pretty bad failing of councils road departments. There’s a “quiet” back road on my commute, the main A road has recently been reduced to 20 but the back road is still 30 so some drivers (not many have cottoned on so far thankfully) tear arse up and down that instead, daft planning.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘20 MPH Speed Limits’ is closed to new replies.