Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)
  • 20 MPH Speed Limits
  • D28boy
    Free Member

Our town has just become a 20 mph zone and whilst discussing this (moaning) with somebody they had said that whilst driving with a Police Officer on duty in his police car the officer had not complied with a 20 mph limit. When queried about this his response was that the 20 mph limit was un-enforceable……

Discuss and advise…Sounds a little doubtful to me

midlifecrashes

Police have chosen not to enforce them, who you gonna call, the police?

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Not enough Traffic Officers to enforce the rules.
    General disregard for speed limits.
    PO needs to have a word with himself for speeding in a non emergency situation. Lead by example and all that.

Cougar

They’re not unenforceable in a legal sense, they’re unenforceable in a practical sense. Ie, the police don’t have the resources to do it and believe that 20mph zones should be self-enforced with traffic-calming measures.

martinhutch

A lot of forces have said they will not actively enforce 20mph limits – some kind of moaning about resources, even though I’d rather they enforced a 20mph zone next to a school at 3pm than sat in a layby enforcing a 60mph outside town for half a day, like they do around here.

As for the individual officer, someone needs to ask his inspector to have a quiet word.

Cougar

It’s a 12-month old article, but the ACPO statement is here:

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/2702.html

Basically, a senior officer claimed that they aren’t enforcing them, and the ACPO clarified that they should apply a “proportional approach.”

traildog
    Free Member

I may well be wrong, but I believe the law is that the police are allowed to break the limit when going about their duty. Most people believe this to mean when they have their lights on but I don’t think that is actually the case.

If the limit reduces the overall speed of traffic then that will improve safety and quality of life for the town, whether it’s strictly policed or not.

wwaswas

Here in Brighton (and Hove) the Police say they won’t enforce 20mph limits as ‘average speeds have dropped to 25mph since their introduction’.

I asked why 50% of motorists traveling at least 25% faster than the posted limit was chosen as a reason to not uphold the law but haven’t had a reply yet.

D28boy
    Free Member

What has peed me off most is that our village ( it’s actually a town ) is a quiet & rural village that has no issues with road safety, rage or in fact any sort of pedestrian danger. Our primary & secondary schools are not on any major road and our biggest problem is on street parking. But the whole place is now a 20 mph limit ! It just seems overkill to me (no pun intended)

Cougar

Ah, there’s a newer one here.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/2709.html

“In most cases, 20 mph limits will follow DfT guidance* and include ‘road calming’ features such as speed bumps or traffic islands designed to slow traffic. Wherever possible, we agree with the DfT that 20mph zones should be ‘self?enforcing’ through the use of such features.

*“The (DfT) guidance states: “Successful 20 mph zones and 20 mph speed limits are generally self?enforcing, i.e. the existing conditions of the road together with measures such as traffic calming or signing, publicity and information as part of the scheme, lead to a mean traffic speed compliant with the speed limit. To achieve compliance there should be no expectation on the police to provide additional enforcement beyond their routine activity, unless this has been explicitly agreed.

brooess
    Free Member

Seems a shame that 20 and 30mph are treated so often as optional in the first place… ideally you wouldn’t need to enforce them given that they’re obviously there to protect pedestrians in residential areas.

Breaking them gets you absolutely nowhere faster as you’ll be stopping at a junction in short order, from the obvious nature of residential streets…

D28boy
    Free Member

But why should the entire town of 5000 people need protecting on every road when the vast majority of other towns don’t ?

Cougar

And the actual ACPO document:

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/uniformed/2013/201305-uoba-joining-forces-safer-roads.pdf

Section 11. I can’t readily C&P from it, but it basically says that the onus is on the local authority to make the road self-policing rather than just slapping up signs; however, that doesn’t mean that the police won’t enforce it, rather that it’s at their discretion.

JPR
    Free Member

But why should the entire town of 5000 people need protecting on every road when the vast majority of other towns don’t ?

Or surely why don’t other towns get that protection when yours does?

A lot of Edinburgh should soon be 20mph, and I believe the police have stated they will start enforcing it. Initially the bus companies object until someone pointed out they barely spend any time over 20mph and it would add about 6 seconds to their journey time (link: http://mccraw.co.uk/lothian-buses-20mph-limit/).

GrahamS

Is the OPs 20 limit a real limit with legal signs:

or advisory almost-legal-but-different-colours signs?

If it’s the latter then it’s not legally enforceable.

Our village had a campaign to put in a 20 limit. There was a petition circulated which the majority of people in the village signed. The council agreed, but gave us advisory signs instead of proper ones as it meant less paperwork 🙄

I stick to them, but frequently get someone driving inches from my bumper as a result – most likely someone who signed the same petition as me! 🙄

D28boy
    Free Member

YES- legal signs for the WHOLE OF THE TOWN.

GrahamS

Are you suggesting that some people in your town deserve less protection than others?

bigblackshed

D28boy.

You’re asking the wrong question.

Why don’t the vast majority of towns and cities, which have 30mph as a blanket speed limit, not care enough about its inhabitants to reduce the speed limit to protect the more vulnerable road users and pedestrians?

amedias
    Free Member

D28boy, what exactly is the inconvenience to you though?

20Mph limit is demonstrably safer for pedestrians, cyclists and other road users, and in a populated urban area how often would you get up to 30 for more than a brief period anyway?

If it really is a small town then how far is it across town, 2-3 miles tops? so even driving right from one side of town to another at 20 instead of 30 the impact on your journey is a couple of minutes maybe?
    And that’s not even taking into accoun that most of the delays will be due to junctions and or traffic lights rather than an slight decrease in maximum speed.

Seems reasonable, the sooner urban areas are all converted to 20mph limits the better.

Cougar

The council agreed, but gave us advisory signs instead of proper ones as it meant less paperwork

Given the information provided in the ACPO guidelines, it would seem that it was a case of “less major disruption to the roads and massive council expense to install extensive traffic calming measures” rather than “less paperwork”, would it not? I imagine that a few “look, slow down a bit please” signs would be far more local-authority-budget-friendly.

portlyone

Police around me in Chorlton, Manchester have been supporting local communities with the Twenty is Plenty…

ahwiles
    Free Member

amedias – Member

the sooner urban areas are all converted to 20mph limits the better.

what he said.

D28boy – Member

they do, 20,000 people are killed or seriously injured in road traffic ‘incidents’ every year, many of them on urban roads. Well done D28town for starting to do something about it.

GrahamS

it would seem that it was a case of “less major disruption to the roads and massive council expense to install extensive traffic calming measures” rather than “less paperwork”, would it not?

I think the paperwork aspect came because putting in a “proper” 20 limit needs a Traffic Order, consultation and consent etc.

Much the same reason that local authorities put in meaningless “advisory” cycle lanes rather than proper mandatory ones (which at least have legal meaning even if many motorists still ignore them).

D0NK

wish we could get some of that action.

D28boy
    Free Member

Amedias- it’s infuriatingly slow and unecessary on what are largely very safe, well lit roads with good visability and no history of pedestrian or cyclist injuries to my knowledge. Would you also endorse 50 mph limits on motorways to to save the planet as well as other road users.

I’ve nothing against the idea of reducing speed in areas where there is a perceived level of risk…outside schools or hospitals for instance but why make the blanket change over the whole town.

I get it you just like overtaking cars on your bike don’t you.

D0NK

Much the same reason that local authorities put in meaningless “advisory” cycle lanes rather than proper mandatory ones

it does beg the question WTF do they bother? Cyclists know they are shit and drivers hate anything cycling, I can only assume it’s so they can boast “we installed 2000000km of cycle lanes last year” when surely anyone who gives a rat’s ass about these figures will probably know it’s bullshit just aswell as the cyclists who ride/ignore them.

wwaswas

I’ve nothing against the idea of reducing speed in areas where there is a perceived level of risk

there’s a perceived level of risk on all urban roads so they’ve just done what you want, surely?

GrahamS

it’s infuriatingly slow and unecessary

How far are we talking? As amedias said, a few miles at 20 might feel slow, but in reality it makes very little difference at all to your total journey time.

(Whereas a 50 limit on a motorway obviously would)

D0NK

not many people going to be overtaking cars on bikes if the cars are actually doing 20. Besides if that’s how someone gets their kicks 8-9am or 5-6pm weekdays pretty much any town in england they can fill their boots.

Perceived level of risk? realistic levels of risk are already there check the stats, the fact that the qualified number of people haven’t died on those sections of road to get a specific limit downgrade is surely a good thing? Seems a bit wrong to wait for X number of people to die before implementing a change

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I heard that a 20mph limit means your speed needs to be “in the twenties”, i.e. 20mph-29mph.

similarly with 30, 40 etc.

Cougar

Much the same reason that local authorities put in meaningless “advisory” cycle lanes rather than proper mandatory ones (which at least have legal meaning even if many motorists still ignore them).

Sorry, what laws are you referring to here?

The only restriction I know for cycle lanes is that you can’t drive / park in them if there’s a solid white line, and shouldn’t if it’s broken (ie, they’re just like chevrons). Oh, and they can be used for demarcation like yellow lines if there’s waiting restriction signs.

I’m not aware of any enforced / advisory lane distinction or any sort of legislation beyond that. Is this a TfL-specific thing or something?

GrahamS

it does beg the question WTF do they bother?

My own experience suggests that advisory cycle lanes can make a positive difference IF they are the correct width (official recommended width is 2 metres!), are placed sensibly by people who have some idea about cycling, and are kept clear of debris and parked cars.

flatfish
    Free Member

Whilst driving round Bristol for my business I regularly drive in three different speed zones.

Nowadays I find myself looking for speed signs rather than watching for pedestrians/cyclists/emerging cars.

D28boy
    Free Member

Sorry for stirring the PC do gooders pot but I’m afraid I have my feet in the stuff and nonsense one and think that this is just protecting people from a threat that doesn’t exist. As I said both our schools are on very quiet housing estate locations where a 20 mph limit may be appropriate but other than that I can’t see a risk being a pedestrian if I keep my eyes & ears open when crossing the road. Perhaps it should be compulsory for all pedestrians to wear helmets and bodyarmour too just in case ? What do you think?

Cougar

I can’t see a risk being a pedestrian if I keep my eyes & ears open when crossing the road. Perhaps it should be compulsory for all pedestrians to wear helmets and bodyarmour too just in case ? What do you think?

I think it’s time we brought back the Green Cross Code adverts, for a start. Where I live is hardly yummy mummy cul-de-sac central, and there’s still almost as many kids playing football in traffic as there is cars.

GrahamS

Sorry, what laws are you referring to here?

The only restriction I know for cycle lanes is that you can’t drive / park in them if there’s a solid white line, and shouldn’t if it’s broken (ie, they’re just like chevrons).

Yep those are the laws I mean.

The solid white line cycle lanes are termed “mandatory cycle lanes” and the dashed-line ones are “advisory cycle lanes”.

See http://ukcyclerules.com/2011/03/10/do-cycle-lanes-have-any-legal-significance/

amedias
    Free Member

Amedias- it’s infuriatingly slow and unecessary on what are largely very safe, well lit roads with good visability and no history of pedestrian or cyclist injuries to my knowledge

Really, infuriatingly slow, I think you perhaps have other issues to deal with if you become infuriated at having to travel at 20 instead of 30, and average speeds in towns are rarely above 20 anyway. Did you perhaps mean ‘mildly annoying until I’d thought about it and realised my average speed probably wasn’t affected much anyway‘?

As for the ‘to my knowledge’ bit, well perhaps you should research the facts before you start ranting, you may well be correct but leaping into a rant without availing yourself of the facts seems a little premature.

And absence of stats for specific roads doesn’t nullify the existing stats drawn from more general surveys, as D0NK says, seems a little odd to want to wait until someone is hurt before taking action, just because nobody has been hurt yet (to your knowledge 😉 ) is not a good argument against it.

I’ve nothing against the idea of reducing speed in areas where there is a perceived level of risk…outside schools or hospitals for instance but why make the blanket change over the whole town.

There you go, obviously your perception differs to the councils (and a lot of us). Just because you have a different opionin doesn’t mean you’re right. 😉

Only when they’re stationary or very slow moving, in which case you’re not going to be hindered by the 20 limit are you?

Normally thses kinds of changes go through discussion and consultation, presumably you have looked to find out why this change was brought in and what the justification was?

There’s normally opportunities for members of the public to raise questions too as proposals are often announced ahead of time and rarely are changes made overnight with no prior activity.

D0NK

My own experience suggests that advisory cycle lanes can make a positive difference IF they are the correct width (official recommended width is 2 metres!), are placed sensibly by people who have some idea about cycling, and are kept clear of debris and parked cars.

IME very very few of them tick all those boxes and those that do tend to be on roads so wide that they make little* difference – then promptly disappear when the road narrows. OTOH there’s loads of roads near me that I reckon decent sized bike lanes would really help – there’s not even a sniff of one tho 🙁

*but still appreciated

Cougar

Yep those are the laws I mean.

Ah, cool. I was just thrown by the terminology, then. Cheers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘20 MPH Speed Limits’ is closed to new replies.