Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Pubs in scenic locations/great views/beautiful beer gardens
  • Houns

Which pubs are your favourite? They don’t have to do great beer or food (though it helps) but which pubs in Britain have you been to that have been in fantastic settings?

The Applecross inn has to be my favourite, followed by George III near Dolgellau (both are quite similar I suppose). One beautiful warm spring day I sat outside the Cwellyn Arms staring up at Snowdon, lost track of time!

Over to you, help me plan some journeys

Solo
    Free Member

Pubs in scenic locations/great views/beautiful beer gardens

This is the UK, choose two !

cynic-al
    Free Member

That one in Trainspotting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    surfer
    Free Member

I do like the view from the Queens head in Troutbeck.

kcal

Old Bridge Inn, Aviemore?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Gah, could go on all day, Mrs Rider and I like country pubs and country pub owners often like us to use the beer garden, owing to Rider Jr.

Top few locals and few further afield

The Harp Inn, Old Radnor, Powys. Top nosh and view across to The Whimble at sunset

The Brewer’s Arms, West Malvern (see as far as the Black Mountains and Brecons from the terrace garden) best home made chips at any pub ever

The Chase Inn, Upper Colwall, Herefordshire.

Saracens Head, Symond’s Yat East, nr Ross On Wye, right on the River Wye at head of a 12 mile cycle path to Monmouth and back

The Camp Inn, Grimley, Worcs, old school pub on the Severn

The Live and Let Live, Bringsty Common, Worcs

The Bush Inn, Morwenstow (take the footpath to the coast from beer garden).

The Pilchard Inn, Burgh Island, South Hams, surrounded by sea

Kings Arms Llangennith, Gower Peninsula

The Blue Ball, Countisbury, North Devon

+1 for George III, love the Mawddach

user-removed
    Free Member

Not that far from Applecross, The Plockton Hotel’s beer garden is the best place in the world on a sunny day…

scaled
    Free Member

The Selbourne Arms is awesome, lovely beer garden for kids, separate beer garden for adults, good beer good food and amazing roads to cycle there on. Other than free beer, can’t see how it would get better

woody21
    Free Member

Barrel Inn at Bretton, Lathkill Hotel at Over Haddon

wrightyson
    Free Member

Port William inn, trebarwith strand, Cornwall. Watching the tide come in.

Houns

Some great suggestions, googling them all

midlifecrashes

Welsh coastal ones do it for me. There are loads.

Ty Coch in Porthdinllaen
    Ship Inn, Tresaith

are a couple worth googling

Edit: If someone can recommend some eateries along the Way of the Roses, that’d be handy. Staying in Morecambe, Pateley Bridge and York this week, finish in Brid.

Drac

This is the UK, choose two !

You need to venture further than you’re local working men’s club.

Jolly Fisherman Craster

The Ship Inn at Low Newton

Looks onto this beach

Stoner
    Free Member

2nd malvern rider’s Worcestershire choices, particularly the brewers.

allthepies
    Free Member

The Anchor Inn, Kippford if you’re every near Dalbeattie

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Ship Inn at Low Newton

Shhhh! Don’t tell anyone!

And don’t tell them about this one, either!

Saracen’s Head at Symond’s Yat.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

The square and compass in the purbecks.

End of thread 8)

oxym0r0n

The square and compass in the purbecks.

End of thread

This

allthepies
    Free Member

Was there last summer, with your username I can see the appeal 😉

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Ribblehead viaduct from the Station Inn gents toilets window.

jonnouk
    Free Member

Warren House inn on a good day.

Drac

Shhhh! Don’t tell anyone!

It’s been on TV a fair bit the last couple of years so no longer a secret. It gets rammed on weekends in the summer.

honeybadgerx

I’ve always been partial to the Britannia Inn in Elterwater myself.

Houns

The Worcestershire pubs are all within riding distance. The Brewers, do they have Wye Valley on?

soulrider
    Free Member

The Old Inn – Carbost Skye
    and its only a short walk from the Talisker Distillery

Another shout for the Old Bridge Inn in Aviemore

Polochar Inn on the south coast of South Uist.

Ferry Boat inn or Seaforth in Ullapool.

The Pub at Kylesku (I cant remember its name)

Clachaig Inn Glencoe

a couple of wild cards
    Snow Goose (top of Nevis Range Gondola) they sell 3 Sisters.
    Ptarmigan (top of the Funicula Cairngorm) they sell a few of Cairngorm Brewery’s finest

Drac

Fishing Boat Inn Boulmer

All 3 of the pubs I’ve listed so far are within easy riding distance of each other.

binners

Stoner
    Free Member

Houns, the brewers is a tied Marston pub but they do have guest beers, often malvern brewery, sometime Wye valley.

The best kept pint of HPA in the county though is further along the hill at the malvern hills hotel. The bar is very comfortable and the terrace is nice too. Worth the ride, as you pass it heading for British camp but it doesn’t have much of a view because of its spot.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Pilchard Inn, Burgh Island, South Hams, surrounded by sea

It’s all about the Pig’s Nose down those parts! 🙂 Pilchard’s for grockles. Grockles with a bit of taste, mind you, but still grockles.

Drac

Is that Solo’s local Binners?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The Brewers have Wye Valley HPA on all the time, and a frequently updated selection of guests. I have to visit regularly in case of Salopian Oracle making an appearance – tried for a bat-signal type setup but they weren’t having any of it 🙂

Worcs pubs? How could I forget The Talbot, Knightwick. Top food, home grown veg, local meat etc…home brewed ales, big beer garden right on the Teme, best pork scratchings around, always peaceful even when busy. Splendid.

SaxonRider

The Maenllwyd Inn near Caerphilly was beautiful once. I suspect it’s garden is still one of the nicest around, with its gorgeous view of the green hills. Owned now, as it is, by Chef & Brewer, however, it is like it had an operation to have its soul removed. The signage is naff, the frosted glass dividers inside look naff, and the big stinkin’ posters advertising the meal deals have utterly destroyed it.

If views are what you’re after, though, it is still worth going to… unless Chef & Brewer have found a way to convert those into shit too.

gazc
    Free Member

Saracen’s Head at Symond’s Yat.

we stopped in for a pint, ended up camping in the site over the road, getting a bit friendly with the locals and canoeing down the wye – awesome!

ship at low newton is great (and as are others listed by drac – we go up to northumberland coast a fair bit)

ty coch @ morfa nefyn is great too – trying to ride along the rocky beach from our digs wasn’t the best idea mind!

http://www.tycoch.co.uk/index.php/view-the-webcam

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I like a beer and burger at the Inn On the Tay at Grandtully

Also the North Ronaldsay Bird Observatory bar is one of the most perfect places I know

Oh and not forgetting The Old Inn at Carbost on Skye. Scenic location, oh yes, and a distillery across the road.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

gazc, we often canoe down the Wye to SY for the night, spend a night there getting suitably liquid, then get up and meander down to Monmouth the next day. Great way to spend a weekend!

Another to add to the pot from me –
    Tafarn Sinc, Rosebush. An oddity, but worth a trip!
    The Quay at Cresselly (Yes, I know the name over the door is the Cresselly Arms, but I’ve always known it as just The Quay)
    The Druidstone. Oh yes!

Drac

Gelnuig Inn

razorrazoo

My only regret is that it always seems to be a fleeting visit now kids are in tow, and I’m always driving.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Webcam of the view from the Ty Coch Inn in Morfa Nefyn

grum
    Free Member

Jura Hotel
    Wasdale Head Inn.
    Eagle and Child Staveley

razorrazoo

I’d also have to say the Scotts Arms outside of Corfe as well. Fantastic view.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Pubs in scenic locations/great views/beautiful beer gardens’ is closed to new replies.