Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fort William advice
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

So I’ve got two nights to kill in Fort William after work this week. I’ll have the bike, boots and car and would like to bike one evening and go for a hike on the other evening. Was thinking of just heading to the Nevis Range trails for biking and Ben Nevis for a hike, although I’m told the tourist path is very dull.

What other options should I consider that might be more rewarding?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Just one more thing…somewhere decent for a feed?

mangoridebike

What night are you planning for biking? I may be free if you fancy meeting up? email in profile

Food options include the Crannog seafood place or the Ben Nevis Inn amongst others.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Spice Tandoori was alright a couple of weeks ago when I was at the BDS up there.

The mussels at No4 were good but the lamb was disappointing.

Mounty_73

This pub is good…

Home

stevomcd
    Free Member

If you want to climb Nevis by a more interesting route, do the Carn Mor Dearg arete. You can either go up the tourist path as far as the half-way lochain and cross over from there, or start from the North-Face car park (near Nevis Range) instead.

Even do it as a loop by going down the tourist path.

By going up the CMD arete, you get a full view of the spectacular north face of the Ben, with all its famous climbing routes and gullies. Probably still full of snow too. One of the best days in the hills I’ve ever had* and all completely hidden if you take the tourist path.

You will see the CMD arete itself described as scary or challenging in various red-sock rambler sources. It is neither of these, but it’s a beautiful place. There is a fair drop off the arete into Coire Leis, but on the other site the ground just mellows out, so you can just walk a few feet back from the edge if you’re of a very nervous disposition.

*It was the first “proper” day back in the hills for me after I broke my back, so was important to me anyway, then was just one of those days in the hills where everything (weather, lack of people, route) was just perfect. Including a Tornado blasting through at close range while I was up on the arete.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, mango I’ll mail you later, tomorrow night would suit me best, short notice I know!!

Northwind

The only good advice I can give you re riding at fort william, is don’t do the waymarked 10 Under the Ben route, it’s pish. There’s good stuff on it though- you can ride the first section out of the car park then double back along the road, and you can include Nessie on a loop of the Witches Trails with a little fireroad bashing.

(the race route isn’t the same at all btw).

I really like the Witches Trails, nothing particularily challenging or outstanding, but they have a nice clawed-from-the-earth feel.

bigbloke
    Free Member

As an alternative take an easy walk along to Steall Falls at the bottom of Ben , i love the place, so did my children when we went back after 12 years. Feels a bit like a secret lost hideaway (which it obviously isn’t judging by the amount of visitors) superb scenery though.

athgray
    Free Member

The CMD arete on Ben Nevis is good. Also good walking if you drive to the top of Glen Nevis and walk up some of the mountains on the South side of the glen. The falls of Steall are nice as is Stob Ban in the Mamores.

grum
    Free Member

The only good advice I can give you re riding at fort william, is don’t do the waymarked 10 Under the Ben route, it’s pish.

+1

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Mango YGM

tandemwarriors

Just back from this years 10 Under. Nessie is still closed due to storm damage, but certainly worth mixing the witches trail with some 10 Under sections.

Rob

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fort William advice’ is closed to new replies.