Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1×9 with a 12-36?
  • AJ
    Free Member

Any body got any thoughts i wanna 1×9 it but there's hills where i live

maybe 30tooth on the front 12 36 rear?

GW
    Free Member

30T chainring? what? fitted to the granny tabs? 😕

just run 32T & 11 34.. there's no shame in walking.

if you're planning on riding off road, you'll need a chain device of some sort as well so if riding up is that important to you might as well just stick with 2×9

AJ
    Free Member

extralite make a 30t that works

eichler
    Free Member

GW "there's no shame in walking", err actually there is. Can't understand 1×9 for trail bikes. Leave it for the DH and 4X bikes.

AJ
    Free Member

HA i ride a blur 4x as a trail bike

GW
    Free Member

ha ha PWNED!!

eichler
    Free Member

AJ nice bike. Shame they aren't making them anymore – amazing trail bike. I would have had trouble deciding between my 5 and that bike if they were still in production. As you know, I meant I would not ride a single front ring for anything other than downhill-orientated riding. 36/22(or 24) and an 11-32 (or is it 12 – can't remember) gets me up all the climbs in the peak district and it doesn't spin out on the way down. It's mountainbiking, not hiking whilst pushing a bike.

mamadirt
    Free Member

1/9 is fine. I run 36T up front and 11-32 at the back and having singlespeeded for years it's quite nice to have a spare gear or two 😉 . Most stuff is manageable in 36/32 and anything that's not wouldn't be much fun to climb anyway I reckon.

AJ
    Free Member

Yep i know i'm a big mountain rider i live in the cairngorm national park. but 30-36 that gotta be easy enough for serious uphills and i get to ditch 400/500 grams in shifter, mech, cables and faff

dunno i'm just sounding out ideas, like actually i just want 5 sprockets on the rear for uber simples

njee20
    Free Member

400/500 grams in shifter, mech, cables and faff

No way. You'll still need something to keep the chain on, that'll weigh as much as the front mech if not more.

The Extralite ring isn't bad, but is designed to be run as a duo, if that bothers you. You'll also have to file your cranks down to get it to fit, otherwise the chain rides on the spider. They're expensive, and don't last all that long, I find they're absolutely trashed after about 9 months use.

I wouldn't bother.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1×9 with a 12-36?’ is closed to new replies.