Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • 1×9 – What Chainguide?
  • njee20
    Free Member

The issue I see with the superstar is the back plate is a little flexy, allowing the cage to be moved by the chain, and the cage is also perhaps 2mm too wide inside for the 10spd chain I’m running. Might be worth modifying by adding a strip or two of plastic inside the cage to narrow it down perhaps, but really it should just work from the factory…

Aah, see I’ve bodged a seat tube guide, and never ever dropped the chain (10 speed), I actually made the cage slightly wider after I bent my chainring, and still never dropped it. Must just be that bit stiffer than the BB mounted one.

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah I saw you’d seat tube mounted yours njee. It might be worth a try also, but I’m not giving SSC another £20 just to buy the seat tube mounted version to see if it works.

Also much prefer the idea of having the cage mounted from a bracket coming from the BB as it means there’s no possibility of it not being lined up straight, but just with a much less flexier backplate such as seemingly the MRP and the E13 have.

njee20
    Free Member

So do what I did, £3 DMR seat tube mount from CRC, and something to join it with – I originally used some rack stays, now using a piece of carbon from Fibre Lyte. Admittedly better if you have a friendly LBS who’ll let you rummage through boxes of bits!

Can you get the BB plate as a spare for the MRP/E.13? Use the SSC cage.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

treehuggergraeme, and everyone else using a top-only guide, having problems dropping the chain.

Make your chain as short as your setup allows.

When I did this on my E13 hive, all my chain-dropping/jamming issues stopped. The problem is that the manufacturers provide no instructions on how to setup an effective system using the devices.

kayak23

Not too impressed with the seattube-mounted top-guide from Superstar (XCR ST).

The guide-cage is mounted to the seat tube clamp via a small rod, which is held in position and adjusted via a very small grub screw. Its just not man enough to hold it in rough conditions.

I fitted one to my GF’s Zesty for Morzine and it moved on several occasions, despite twisting the allen key on my tool from trying to do it up so tight.

Its a design which has potential I think but currently I’d only use it if I couldn’t afford an alternative.
    I think you could make something work with a DMR clamp, spacers and an MRP roller or something.

I run a 1×9 and use a Blackspire DSX C4 ( I got mine for £50) and its perfect, very light and negligible noise and drag.
    Blackspire DSX C4

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘1×9 – What Chainguide?’ is closed to new replies.