Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1×9 ( maybe, "again"), sorry !
  • cakefacesmallblock

I’m going to 1×9 on my Trance, for now at least. Two reasons really. Firstly to see if I can get on with 32 / 11 to 32 before going possibly 1×10. Also just to try to further improve my climbing and make me less lazy.
    So plan is to ditch big and little ring, fit a Superstar single speed, bb, chain device ( no iscg mounts), A Hope bash ring and simply ditch front mech and shifter. Will I die ? and will the Superstar device space out far enough to follow chain line if 32 middle ring is still where it was originally ?
    Ta! ..and sorry if I haven’t searched deep enough to find this out !

messiah
    Free Member

Run a 32 ring without shifting pins and cut outs.

You don’t need the bash ring so don’t fit one.

Enjoy!

cakefacesmallblock

Thank you ! Will I need the chain device or do I try it with maybe a shortened chain, so that max length is just pulling the mech as far forward as it would if I was in 44 / 32 ?
    Just want to try the set up ideally before I go buying all sorts of “marketing” ! Will save cash where I can, but want it to work, if you get what I mean ?

honourablegeorge

Which superstar chain device? They won’t all work with a bash

woody2000

I have exactly the same set up on my 456. 32 tooth Blackspire DH chainring with deep teeth, Superstar BB mounted chain guide and an 11-32 cassette.

You could probably just leave the front mech as the chain guide if you wanted to do it on the cheap for now? You don’t need the bash.

cakefacesmallblock

Guys ! Thanks again. Will run without the bash then, presumably need shorter chainring bolts to fit single ring to Deore cranks? Shorten chain ?…..Off to do some work in a minute, via LBS !

messiah
    Free Member

Sorry for confusion. Superstar type chain device and a chainring without cut outs is the best (and cheapest) way to give 1×9 a proper go (no need for a bash ring). Not using a chain device or using a normal cut out chainring is likely to cause the chain to come off and hence for you to get pissed off with it.

For me running 1×9 means more grunting and effort… so the last thing I want is the risk of the chain coming off causing my knees to smack the stem or boll*cks to hit the top bar… 🙁

Chainring bolts can be shortened with a hacksaw/file/grinder or spaced out with washers to give it a whirl.

cakefacesmallblock

Messiah ! Thanks for the graphic clarification ! Balls / toptube interface.Bad. 😆
    I dont mind grunting from effort, just not from impact.

greeble
    Free Member

I’ve been running 1×9 on my trance for a year now and its been great. never once dropped the chain I’m running an e-13 lg1 guide and e-13 chainring.

cookeaa

Yep shorten chain to up the tension on your single 32t and use shorter bolts or washers to space out if not fitting an outer/bash ring

Are you proposing to use a top only guide or one with a bottom roller, if its a top only version would a seat tube mounted version not cover what you require and save you having to take the BB cup out/allow a tad more easy adjustment? dunno what your frame allows though

continuity
    Free Member

Did you have to grind down your inner chainring bolt holes to fit the lg1+?

greeble
    Free Member

nope it fits perfect. I’m running xt cranks and a bb adaptor on the lg1 as there are no iscg tabs on the frame. There is about 4mm 5mm between the backplate and the crank granny tabs.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Agreed with the above – spend the money that you were going to splash on a bash guard on a SS specific chainring. The MRP Party Ring I use on my 1×9’d setup on the ‘big’ bike is light but expensive. The On-One stainless ring on my singlespeed is heavier but after over a year of use shows hardly any wear and was quite cheap.

The Superstar SS device (the BB mount £15ish jobbie) I ran on my old hardtail for about a year and it was faultless. Spend a few months previous to that faffing with front mechs wound out etc and it wasn’t worth the pain it caused to be honest.

Great setup though – never find myself wishing I had a granny ring. Greatest acheievement so far was the mega steep vertical climb through the trees on the black at Glentress (the start of the long slog up to the shed). Got up that which I used to struggle with even with a granny ring so it must do something for your fitness…

nickdavies

I run a similar setup which I put together on a budget to try it out on a 120mm stumpy so similar bike to yours.

Superstar BB mount chain device £16, no bashguard required, single ring short bolts £5 from hubjub and a stainless 32t ring £15 from on-one.

Well chuffed with it, saved weight, made room in the cockpit, saves all the crap in the front mech and i’ve climbed everything at all the trail centres, local xc and peaks without a problem. I’m not even fit – you need a bit of determination to get up some of the peak hills after 30K though…. 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1×9 ( maybe, "again"), sorry !’ is closed to new replies.