Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • 1×11 trickles down…
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

My bottom gears 32-36 and it’s enough for anything I’ve pointed it up. Yes I walk up some things,

Excellent, love that statement.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

MTBR did some fairly rigarous (3 bikes on 9s 3 on 10s) in comparable conditions with comparable riders all using Shimano. 10s lasted about twice as long as 9s.

Shimano claimed it was bacause they don’t just ‘make it thinner’ each time, the chains got redesigned with tighter tolerances which meant less wear.

Quite plausible tbh, 9-speed Shimano chains were mostly *****. The 10-speed ones still aren’t brilliant but they’re a lot better. Wonder if they’d have seen the same results with a quality 9-speed chain though.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

1×10 32 11-36 for ages and it’s not enough for trail centres, climbs aren’t pleasant

Little bit of MTFU required here please.

fingerbike
    Free Member

When did SRAM get bought out by Gillette?!

I’d like to see more work by the big two on a gearbox, preferably mounted in the BB.

Happy with 9speed for the forseeable.

stumpy01

Blimey – I’m still on a triple on my FSR. It’ll be back in fashion by the time i get round to ‘updating’ it….!

v10
    Free Member

Ive been running my full xx1 for over 5 months now and its been faultless – chains seem to stretch much less than 10spd (only just changed to a new one at .75% stretch) only used to get 3 months from a 10spd one.

As to the gearing well as a previous 1×10 user i too didnt really think id need the 42t but now ive settled with 34t up front ive effectively got 1 lower and 1 higher gear than my previous 34×11-36 setup.

Having the 34/42 bailout gear is nice especially on longer rides in the peaks where its nice to be able to spin up long steep stuff rather than grind up as i used too have too.

I’ll never be going back to 10spd or front mechs again.

justinbieber

bloody hell, there are a lot of fit people on here.

I’m amazed that you’re able to do a 5-6hr ride on big mountains with that gearing. Oh well, fair play to you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My bottom gears 32-36 and it’s enough for anything I’ve pointed it up. Yes I walk up some things,

thegeneralist – Member

Excellent, love that statement.

Nice selective quoting, I said the weight and geometry of the bike beocme an issue before the gearing does. Not that I struggle due to the gearing.

90% of ride my lowest gear is 34-20 (29er), it’s also my highest.

I’m amazed that you’re able to do a 5-6hr ride on big mountains with that gearing. Oh well, fair play to you.

Ride fairly regulalry in the Lakes and Peaks, and wouldn’t bother going out in either for less than 4 hours/40miles, and I don’t considder myself that fit!

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, is that a difficult concept to grasp?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Another 1×10 32-36er here. If I was doing a CRC Marathon 100km, or a 24hr, I’d need a bail out gear but W2 or Skyline at Afan, or a couple of laps of Cwmcarn, on a 29lb FS 29er I was totally fine with those ratios.

I’m reasonably fit but not stellar fit. Probably mid-pack in Sport for XC at a guess (I’ve not raced) – probably mid-pack, maybe sneaking in upper third in Masters for Enduro, I’m a better endurance racer to be fair – top 10-15 at a 12/24 hour solo.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m not super lycra speed king fit. I just ride hills enough to get used to it. And talking the moster huge Surrey Hills here, all of 300m height 😀

Just ride ride ride. Gets me up hills at Afan, CYB and the like on 1×10 11-36 without really noticing the granny is not an option.

That said, yes, the Lakes did hit me a bit. However I’d been skiing for a couple of weeks before which put me nearly 4 weeks off the bike based on only getting weekend rides in at the time. So I blame that 😀

In fact seriously, I do find just a week off the bike makes climbs a fair bit harder.

Still, I’d rather have the odd push up than deal with the clunky and chain dropping/sucking hassles with a 2x/3x set up (and 2x pulley guides I had big issues with, so much that the thing got ripped apart by chain suck). Single up front with top guide, maybe pulley and a clutch mech. Problem solved.

Oh and sram 2×10… awful shifting. Too huge a range between big and granny. Spin, clunk, chain drop. Spin, grind, grind, grind, finally shifts onto big or the cable snaps, and then sometimes chain drops.

1×11… bring it on (for the right price).

justinbieber

Yep, is that a difficult concept to grasp?

No, not at all.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    well, I’m STILL waiting for the cassette to turn up allowing me to run my XX1…….
    4 months of anticipation
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Try Bike-discount.de they’ve got stock and loads cheaper than UK sellers.

the_lecht_rocks

nope – i’m an absolute local[ish] dealer convert im afraid.

bratty

*Struts in*

I used to ride the peak with a 38/48 front and a 32t granny cog at the back…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

bratty – Member

*Struts in*

I used to ride the peak with a 38/48 front and a 32t granny cog at the back…

I used to ride there with a 38t single ring.

I now have knee cartilage problems at 26 😛

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m waiting for it to reach X9 level.

I’ve been happy so far with my 1×10 set up (34 tooth ring with an 11-36 cassette) and can get up most stuff in the Peaks, Hebden, trail centres etc.

Agree with those who have said that it will be interesting to see how Shimano react because more and more people are ditching their front mechs. I like Sram gears anyhow, so will probably go 11 speed once its more affordable.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m very unfit at the moment.

I managed just fine at Afan and Cwm Carn a couple of weeks ago on 1×10 with 34 chairing, 11-36 and a 29er. Given the shocking state of my fitness, I was quite concerned in advance as to how I’d cope but it wasn’t an issue. I’m typically a spinner too fwiw.

mick_r

24×28 was the awesomely low mtb granny gear BITD, which was only slightly lower than a 32×34 single ring setup today.

I’ve also yet to find a UK trailcentre that can’t be 99% ridden singlespeed…. Most of the Lakes is also feasible ss (OK Walna Scar is a walk).

I’m quite looking forward to the 42 rear cassette option for Alpine duties and Lakeland passes on my 29er (where I’m stuck with a 32t Uno ring). But I’d be even more interested in a 10speed version without the stupid tiny bottom sprocket (so it also goes on regular hubs).

Superficial
    Free Member

For me, that’s the issue.

I can ride everything* with Shimano 1×10 for the first couple of hours. So for short loops it’s ideal. But anything longer and I do struggle a bit. For all out efficiency on long rides (3+ hours) I’d probably have to go for a double. I’m happy though, I have the shifters / chainrings to turn my bike back into 2×10 but I don’t want to just at the moment.

*Including nasty steep stuff that a lot of people don’t bother to ride. On really difficult/technical climbs often the momentum is important and I find that if I try and spin up in the granny gear I’ll fail whereas 1×10 forces you to keep the power on which is great for training and powering up difficult stuff. On long/steep/not technical climbs I sometimes miss the granny ring though.

The best option for me would be something like 34t up front and 11-42. On the mountain bike I don’t really care about big gaps between sprockets so 10 speed is fine. I’d have considered XX1 if it wasn’t so bloody expensive! C’Mon Shimano, show us what you’ve got.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Check out General Lee cassette adapter. Turns a 10 speed cassette into one up to 40t.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Could be wrong, but people here generally aren’t riding in the Andes or Himalayas.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmmm its going to a slight step backwards for me and many others i assume….

im currently 1×10 11-36, and my legs are now defined/setup for this setup, ill never ever get off and push in this gear unless its ridiculously steep, but everything round are way is pretty steep as it is….

standard midweek rides consist of anywhere between a 14-25 miles, with at least 2500feet of climb (on average id say its more like 3000 every time)

then weekend rides if time allows (which it usually does) will be 25-35 mile rides (also weather dependant) with upto 6000feet of climbing….

all of the climbs we do we always ride, if we need a break we stop for a break after the cilmbs or just one stop midride for a little breather , but ive not failed power wise on any of the climbs (bar 1 that springs to mind, which is just mega long and very steep)

not willy waving, just as per njee etc, people are fit, and can cope with a 1×10 setup for almost any terrain, my legs have adapted (or ive got fitter) and i cant imagine ever going back to a full 2x/3x setup

however if in a few years shimano does 1×11 and its reasonably priced (ala xt in germany) then i guess i’d have it, but in a way it will be a step back fitness wise for many

it still pisses on any 2x/3x setup mind, but if your fit enough (have the will/desire/physique/build/bike etc) then you can get up anything after enough hard work and fitness

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

edit : just seen that general lee thing, that looks interesting for anyone who is considering 1×11 sram setup, of course if you have the 1×10 and are struggling slightly or just need a bit extra for an enduro type even or similar!

i wouldnt be surprised is shimano trump sram, and bring something out similar so no body has to upgrade to 11 speed!

if a company like that can do it, surely a company of shimano’s size has the resources to do something similar if not better

messiah
    Free Member

I’m waiting for an XX1 cassette to complete my groupset. I’ve been running 32×11-34 on my hardtail for a few years and the same on my full suss for the last couple of months. On the hardtail its fine and I don’t see a need for a lower gear but on the big-bike which I take up the bigger hills (Mountains) I’d like a lower gear. Its not the steepness that gets me so much as the rough/looseness. To get through really rough/loose sections my trick is to get into a low gear and hit the rough spinning fast and pinballing through. Running the 1×9 does not give me a low enough gear for this style of riding and I find I’m simply not able to get through some of the tough bits I can usually ride… which is dissapointing and frustrating as I know I can ride them. Once stalled it’s also very difficult to get going again with the 1×9 on the steep and rough, if I had a lower gear I could start to ride from where I stop more often… again frustrating as the challenge is to ride as much as you can, or have in the past (or you might as well walk all of the climb IMHO etc etc)

1×9 was great for Glentress a few weeks ago… although I’ve ridden all that on a 33×18 singlespeed so no surprises there :mrgreen:

End of the willy waving. I hate front mechs and would not go back to one if I can at all help it (even on my road bike I find it a PITA)…

I think the 11 speed XX1 and derivatives are a game changer. People started running 1×9/10 because it worked better and gave them the gearing they needed, but there is a compromise at either end of the ratios IMHO. XX1 (etc) takes a good step to fix that compromise. Well done SRAM for listening and reacting… smell the coffee Shimano.

Northwind

In terms of fitness, you don’t need to be mega-fit to single ring most things in the UK… I’m in reasonable shape but it’s all just bike-fitness, no actual “training”, just riding. Sometimes a long or draggy/lumpy climb gets me though… I was glad for the granny at kinlochleven but it’s never been missed at a trailcentre.

But, where it does fall down IMO is low grip- because all you can really do is torque everything, you can’t spin it for smoothness and grip. My 1×9 setup was piss-poor in the snow and ice, and at the inners enduro last month I ended up pushing some sloppy climbs that I’d normally have just strolled up in the granny just because I couldn’t find the grip. Irritating, that.

ransos
    Free Member

I rarely need the granny ring on my triple, but given that it weighs chuff all, it’s nice to have a bail-out, and I have the bonus of a much nicer spread of ratios on the cassette.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

one things for sure, ill never go back to a triple, i used to hate front mechs, devils work them…never get them setup right and even when i did after a few rides it would have taken a whack and gone out of sync again….hated it when it clogged up with mud (didnt work) etc, just generally crap!

i do love 1×10, and yes although i can ride everything with a 11-36 as above, its mega hard work on some climbs, i do like punishing myself, climbings ‘my thing’ but then on some longer rides, i guess it would be nice to spin up rather than kill my legs out the saddle just to not stop (you get fitter this way as you have no choice, so its catch 22)…

i do like the idea of that general lee adaptor thing though, without having to get a new groupset!

does it work on shimano gears too or just sram?

forexpipz
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the 11 speed technology and its the best thing to hit mountain biking in a long long time.

You doubters are clearly ill informed.

I’m not biased as I personally only see the need for a single or dingle but for those in the know who genuinely benefit from this new technology its their ultimate setup to date.

D0NK

9 speed cassette weighs 160g, a 10spd 163g and a 11spd 166g all for 11-23T

pretty sure it’s the going bigger that is the heavy part rather than the number of cogs (as cogs end up slimmer) iirc 9spd xt 11-34 is circa 20-30g heavier than 11-32 so unless they pull of something funky 11-42 should add a whole chunk.

not in a rush for 1×11, but wouldn’t mind, think it would be good for local bike, but i’ll be keeping a dual setup on my lakes bike for a while yet

Toasty

No, not at all.

You do get that 10-42 gives a crazy range right? It’s not like just lopping off 2 rings on the front. If you used 32 single ring on the front, and hopped into the 42 on the back, you’d be roughly the same as being in the second easiest gear on an old 3×9 setup (22 chainring, 11-32 cassette).

It just trims down the range a bit, getting rid of the overlap and extreme gears on both ends.

robj20
    Free Member

I’m definitely going to be kitting my nomad out with 1×11 as soon as it becomes more available and a bit cheaper. I have had enough of a front mech.

Northwind

forexpipz – Member

its their ultimate setup to date.

Lawl.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the 11 speed technology and its the best thing to hit mountain biking in a long long time.

You doubters are clearly ill informed.

I’m not biased as I personally only see the need for a single or dingle but for those in the know who genuinely benefit from this new technology its their ultimate setup to date.

I have a new favourite derranged posted!

Northwind

I like everything about the last paragraph.

deadkenny
    Free Member

i do like the idea of that general lee adaptor thing though, without having to get a new groupset! does it work on shimano gears too or just sram?

I think just sram at present as what they’ve made so far depends on how the spider splits up and they’ve designed it for sram so far, or something. Also has to be one of the split spider cassette not a single block.

As for a big name doing such a thing. Problem is it would detract from sales of a 1×11 system and they’re all about trying to sell people new systems.

njee20
    Free Member

I like everything about the last paragraph.

The whole thing is just great! Combined with some good wheels you’ve got the foundation for the perfect bike.

justinbieber

You do get that 10-42 gives a crazy range right? It’s not like just lopping off 2 rings on the front. If you used 32 single ring on the front, and hopped into the 42 on the back, you’d be roughly the same as being in the second easiest gear on an old 3×9 setup (22 chainring, 11-32 cassette).

It just trims down the range a bit, getting rid of the overlap and extreme gears on both ends.

Yes. I think there’s been a bit of confusion – I’m amazed at the stuff people are riding on 1×10, with 32t up front and 11-36 out back.

I could cope with 1×11 because of the 42t rear and the range it gives as you describe.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes. I think there’s been a bit of confusion

Why? Plenty of people get by on 1×10, no one is denying that XX1 gives a significantly wider range, but I don’t think there’s any confusion.

Personally I have a 36t chainring and 11-36 block, and I’ve yet to walk up anything that I could get up with a smaller chainring, in fact I can only think of one hill I’ve walked up full stop, and I’m confident it’s very doable. I’d like XX1, as it would give a bit more of a bail out gear which is nice when racing and I’m a bit dead, but 1×10 isn’t enough of an issue to make me go back to a double. YMMV.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

njee + 1,000,000

theres no confusion at all, people who run 1×10 have grown stronger, worked harder and got fitter in the process to be able to cope with the climbs, that sums me up

assuming your not quite strong enough at the mo for 1×10 and by you saying you could get up something with 1×11 on, there is no doubt that even if you can get up it in 1×11 that i could also get up it in 1×10 guise, i may have to put a bit more effort in with the 1×10 but id still get up it even if you sat there spinning with a 1×11 setup…

so theres no confusion at all, as njee, it would be nice to have a bail out if knackered/dead legs but it still wouldnt stop me getting up something id just have to put more effort in

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘1×11 trickles down…’ is closed to new replies.