Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • 1×11 trickles down…
  • justinbieber

I have no idea what you two are on about.

I was responding directly to Toasty and his comments about me not realising that 10-42 gives a wide range.

njee20
    Free Member

So where does the confusion come in? Now I’m confused.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

fair do’s just i assumed you were referring to the fact you couldnt understand how people can climb stuff 1×10

point still stands though, some people just can, loads of factors involved really but with enough fitness some folks can get up stupid stuff with singlespeed! (which ive seen done)

anyways 1×11 is a great idea if your running 3x/2x chainrings, and is great for any type of enduro type long distance riding….if it ever comes down in price id consider it, though id also consider this general lee thing if it was shimano compatible

molgrips
    Free Member

What kind of flat trails are people riding that they can use 1×9 in 11 11-32 guise?

If people can singlespeed, they can ride 1×9.

Personally, I only have triples, I even just re-fitted a triple to my road bike! 😯

frogstomp

I think justinbieber is referring to his own confusion over not realising the extra spread of gears that XX1 gives you.. although I may be confused about that..

Anyway, finally got my XX1 cranks this week after months of waiting (apparently there were only 30-40 sets coming into the country on each drop) and I have to say it is lurvely! I can also confirm that Swinley poses no obstacle to the limits of this gearing 😆

wobbliscott
    Free Member

That General Lee adapter looks good – i’d use it to enable a larger front ring to extend my higher gears rather than extending the lower gears – i’ve enough at the low end but could do with more at the high end of the range. The only problem with the General Lee adapter I can see is the steps in those larger 4 sprockets. Is anyone riding it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can also confirm that Swinley poses no obstacle to the limits of this gearing 😆

The definition of ‘all the gear(s)’? Swinley poses no challenges singlespeed! 😆

frogstomp

Oi, I resemble that remark!

forexpipz
    Free Member

One gear. Steel frame. The rest can burn in eternal maintenance misery. Oh yeah. Rigid too.

If your an equipment whore. Save yourself the trouble and go learn Solidworks. You can tweak your nads off till you are blue in the face.

justinbieber

I think justinbieber is referring to his own confusion over not realising the extra spread of gears that XX1 gives you.. although I may be confused about that..

Nope!

At no point in this thread have I been confused about that. I know, and always have, that XX1 gives pretty much the same spread of gears as 2×9 (22,32 and 11-32). What has baffled me is the number of guys riding steep stuff that I need a 22t up front, on 32, 34 or 36t chainrings.

njee20
    Free Member

What has baffled me is the number of guys riding steep stuff that I need a 22t up front, on 32, 34 or 36t chainrings.

Have you tried, or are you just assuming?

justinbieber

Tried several times, and at the end of a long ride or faced with a steep hill, I like to just drop it in the granny ring and spin away

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ve got a hardtail, 1×9, 32 chainring, 11-34 cassette, weighs 27lb, and a FS, 2×9, 22-36 up front, 11-32 at the back, weighs prob 32lb. I’m not fit by any manner of means, though I’ve got a bit of technique.
    I can ride up the same hills in the peak on both bikes, it’s just different. Sit and spin vs stand and stomp. Sometimes the lower cadence on the 1×9 causes issues on techy climbs where you just stall if you run out of speed, but not that often.
    However for a big climb like llanberis path up snowdon I would want a granny ring for definite. But I ended up walking most of that anyway….
    As above, better legs and lungs would be more use to me than 11 speed.

njee20
    Free Member

Tried several times, and at the end of a long ride or faced with a steep hill, I like to just drop it in the granny ring and spin away

But if that wasn’t an option would you just dig a little deeper? Maybe with a bit of MTFU you’d be fine. Maybe you’re just not as fit as you thought. I don’t get why this is confusing you!? Do you also think the same of anyone who’s quicker with less suspension, or narrower tyres? We’re all different.

dryndusty
    Free Member

Ok so when they say xo1 released 2014 then mention “for next year” are they talking about actual 2014 or in a couple of weeks?

flap_jack
    Free Member

it’s the high end I’d miss. Currently have 46×11 and spin that out frequently. Doesn’t anyone up north ride fast anymore ?

Superficial
    Free Member

it’s the high end I’d miss. Currently have 46×11 and spin that out frequently. Doesn’t anyone up north ride fast anymore ?

Where do you spin out with that sort of ratio though? For me, 32×11 is plenty for all except road or fire-road descents. Usually if I’m going downhill on a mountain bike it’s on something rocky/twisty. Maybe trail centres require a big ring (I wouldn’t know)?

njee20
    Free Member

I like having a 36 for racing and for riding to the trails. I’d go up a ring size before down personally.

justinbieber

But if that wasn’t an option would you just dig a little deeper? Maybe with a bit of MTFU you’d be fine. Maybe you’re just not as fit as you thought. I don’t get why this is confusing you!? Do you also think the same of anyone who’s quicker with less suspension, or narrower tyres? We’re all different.

I never said I was fit, although I do have a nice arse. And please don’t worry about my confusion, leave that to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well for some personal experience there is a big difference between mad made and natural ups.
    I am happy on most man made trails with 1×9 36-32, they just opened a load of new singletrack the angle of the climbs makes it middle ring friendly. Back in the UK I did 1×9 for a year in the trail centres it was great out in the real world it was harder to the point where it was making me enjoy the riding less.

2×9 is the solution for me currently but with the new trails opening etc and potentially some new bikes the plan is to drop 1×9 onto my HT and go 2×10 on the full sus and see how it goes. Then see if the LBS can get a deal on the XO 11 or wait until the X9 version comes out. That should hit the spread right for most riding. Fast swap chainrings makes a lot of sense too.

njee20
    Free Member

I never said I was fit

And yet you’re surprised other people are able to ride a taller gear than you? I’m beginning to understand.

justinbieber

And yet you’re surprised other people are able to ride a taller gear than you? I’m beginning to understand.

What’s the point in making snide little comments, other than to wind people up? I thought I was asking a simple question in a fairly polite manner.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m totally done with large chain rings on my trail bikes; I just never use such high ratios and appreciate not having a “buzz-saw” near my right calf.

The issue is what do about the low ratios and this is very dependent on your bike performance, power, endurance, ride duration and what your hills are like. I can cope with 32/11-34 (9sp) 99% of the time on my HT because I target moderate grade climbs like you get at trail centres e.g. I enjoyed the combined red/black at Brechfa on my Sov with this setup. It’s really on repeated/long/steep/tech climbs that I conk-out, and these I can mostly avoid or just push the worst passages (which I don’t really mind).

I’m reluctant to lose low gearing (the granny) on my big-day-out FS bikes because after 5+ hours riding, I’ve only got energy left for twiddling. As an aside, the new clutched mechs are godsend for 2x/3x systems, sans chain-device.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

justinbieber – Member
    What’s the point in making snide little comments, other than to wind people up? I thought I was asking a simple question in a fairly polite manner.

you did at first, to which myself and njee replied accordingly, you then said you had no idea what us 2 are on about?

we answered your question about why you couldnt understand how people can ride 1×10 on tough terrain, we answered again, and even after answering the same thing over and over about people being stronger, fitter, lighter etc you still seem confused

justinbieber

you did at first, to which myself and njee replied accordingly, you then said you had no idea what us 2 are on about?

we answered your question about why you couldnt understand how people can ride 1×10 on tough terrain, we answered again, and even after answering the same thing over and over about people being stronger, fitter, lighter etc you still seem confused

FFS, my confusion comment was a reply to Toasty (top of page 3) and you two got the wrong end of the stick.

I’m not in anyway confused that people ride steep stuff with taller gears than me. I get that everyone’s different, I really do. I also fail to see where I started making snide comments to you.

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘1×11 trickles down…’ is closed to new replies.