Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 1st birthday presents
  • ThePerfectKiss

My lads 1st birthday soon –

Looking for inspiration for 1st birthday present ideas

Looking for ideas other than the obvious toys…
    thnx

StirlingCrispin

A wooden trike.

Start them young I say!

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t think we got ours much. They got loads from other people, so I think we just spent the money on something useful.

wors

My son was fascinated by the *tags on the pressies rather than what was inside.

(*the wife wanted to put tags on everything, not me!)

wwaswas

trampoline with side nets – last them for years and they get a lot of fun out of them.

not quite the right time of year for one but wrap him up warm, he’ll be fine.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just get him some wrapping paper to play with.

doc_blues
    Free Member

a slide (mine loves the slide in the park) – they can grow into that

we are still searching for the perfect toybox – want a nice wooden one, which he can grow with and use as a piece of furniture when he is grown up – everything out there we have found has been entirely unsuitable so far

our boy was more interested in the wrapping paper than the actual present on his recent 1st birthday

GW
    Free Member

doesn’t really matter, a 1st birthday present is more for YOU than him 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

Start a trust fund?

miketually
    Free Member

We got a little trampoline for ours when they were little. One with a handle to hold. They always loved that and it lasted them for years. Be prepared to swear a lot when trying to thread and tighten the elastic though! When the elastic goes, you can get more from B&Q. Ours must be 4 years old now, and still getting used.

takisawa2

A toy Vacuum cleaner.
    Our two (18 months & 3yrs) fight like mad over the thing.

Seriously…put the cash away for something later on.

aracer
    Free Member

Looking for that something really special? Don’t bother – they really don’t care that much at that age. My recommendation would be to wrap a job lot of empty cardboard boxes – he’ll enjoy that far more than any fancy present.

wwaswas

I kind of agree with aracrer – our 7 year old got a good 4 hours play out of the box my turbo trainer came in the other week.

and that was before she took it outside and painted it to look (not much, it has to be said) ‘like a fairy castle’ the following day.

Harry_the_Spider

My boy was going through his “oven glove” stage at one. About a fiver from Tesco.

We didn’t get him much to be honest. When he’s two it will be a different matter. He is getting one of these.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I recall giving Rosie a little rucsac filled with her favourite things wrapped up 🙂

When mine were older they played for years with the box from a tumble drier. I cut doorways and windows in the sides and they pasted wallpaper and pictures all over it

richc
    Free Member

I got my nephew a Scoot for his 2nd birthday, only thing is he’s slightly too short for it (only around 5 cm for so), so you have to hang onto the seat to help him balance.

Major downside is he won’t get off it, so people have to take turns *helping* him, so now most of my family have achey backs from the stooping and pushing. 😉

watly_biker
    Free Member

We got our daughter a wooden bike for her 2nd birthday – it was too big but being wooden we drilled a new hole in it and dropped the seat – she still wasn’t very keen for a few months – her initial attempt ended in crashing into the sofa !!
    Can’t remember what we got our kids for their 1st birthdays – they don’t need a lot and got loads from friends and family anyway.

mogrim

Clothes are a winner. Anything else is a waste of time and money…

If really feel you have to get something, one of these will be popular soonish:

aracer
    Free Member

Good call mogrim – mine was using something similar to that well before he was one, and over a year later it’s still one of his favourites.

windowshopper
    Free Member

If he’s not walking yet, any sort of pushalong to help him.

matt_outandabout

what mike said – dont bother, they get too much anyway from family and friends.

Bunnyhop

Put a balloon in a box and wrap it up.
    They love the wrapping paper, love the box, best of all the is the balloon. Hours of fun.

Books, seems obvious, Bright with big pictures. You can sit and spend some time interacting with the boy. I always buy them for my mates kids at a year old. They will last for a long time and be used over and over. Most of the kid’s I have given them to still have and read them.

TimP
    Free Member

My nephew is getting a case of wine every year which will be held in a cellar for him until he gets to 18. Will be a mix of port, Champagne and red wine at the moment, with some white wines being added much later

Just hope he isn’t teetotal…

auricgoldfinger

Just ordered ours a pushalong trike. First Birthday next week!

Have a look here:

http://www.funkymoose.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_18

gnashman1
    Free Member

Given that at age one colour, tactile and safe are going to be high on your priority list check out Myriad Toys…some stuff a bit pricey but Tinti bath colours are always a major hit with our boys and cost buttons.

zaskar
    Free Member

Ok maybe not.

Just toys or a proper hat instead of oven gloves.

samuri
    Free Member

get him something for yourself. A carpet or a new sofa and then tell him it’s his. He’ll forget in 5 minutes and you’ll have a brand new sofa.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

For my sons 1st birthday i wanted to get him something that he could keep and get use from. I ended up getting him a wooden Harley Davidson rocking horse. He loved it and over the years every kid who has visited has ended up playing on it including his little sister. Now its getting put away in the loft ready for him to give to his kids. Only cost £100 but its amazingly solid and has worn smooth from all the play which makes it even nicer.

sniff
    Free Member

FAO doc_blues

We got a handmade one with his name carved on it by a chap up near Glasgow – he does loads of woodwork and the quality is first class. Not sure if he does anything over th internet but if your interested I can get his number for you.

Cheers

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘1st birthday presents’ is closed to new replies.