Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 180mm forks
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I am off to Whistler in July and thinking of getting some 180mm forks to replace my Lyriks. I will also use them for dh duties here in the UK but I am looking at second hand as the Lyriks will still be my main fork.

Any recommendations? Before you ask, yes the frame is warrantied for up to 180mm forks.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I quite like my Totems. Nice & beefy but not so crazy mahoosive that they're useless on anything other than pure DH. Can be converted air/coil for not much ££ to suit your preference too. Bit expensive new though (I got mine end of season cheap).

jam-bo

Totem coils.

or them new 180mm Lyric DH's

mk1fan
    Free Member

RS Domain worth a look too – cheaper and heavier.

Dylan08
    Free Member

My pal has decided to sell his Totem Coils and replace with a boxxer fotk (which arrives next week) he's racing the DH nationals hense the change. His Coil Totem's are now for sale I believe

smithy7886@yahoo dot com

🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you have a 1.5 head tube? If so, Merlin were still selling coil Totems for £400 recently.

mikey74
    Free Member

No, 1 1/8 steerer. I do have a 1.5 headtube, but the headset is a reducer.

Domains: Are these worth a look? I thought the damping wasn't that good.

I think Totems may be little too expensive.

chakaping
    Free Member

You may be able to remove a reducer wedge and fit a straight 1.5in steerer in your existing headset. But if your budget is lower anyway that's no use I suppose.

Domains are good, there have been a couple of threads about them on here recently.

I've not been to Whistler (I'm sorry to say), but if the trails are smooth-ish then the Domain should cope fine. It's only on rocks and bad braking bumps that my old one showed itself up a bit.

Forgive the plug, but I have a new 2010 Domain 302 that I took off my new bike for sale cheap, tapered steerer – with headset – in case that's of interest. Email in profile.

HansRey

the cheap totems off merlin and CRC sold out a while ago. It seemed to be that 1.5'' steerers were much cheaper, so it's worth considering putting a 1/5'' headset in.

coil Domains are well worth looking at too, even if they weigh more than vanessa feltz

Alphabet

… bad braking bumps …

It's Whistler he's going to not Morzine.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I have Totem Coils for DH and the new Lyrik DH 170 mm for hacking about on…the Totems are a fantastic fork, but the new Lyriks are amazing…will be sending the Totem's to Tftuned for the new 2010 internals..well impressed with both forks

ahwiles
    Free Member

Domain 318's are good forks.

they've got the motion control damping, so they ride like a big pike, only they don't seem to go crazy in rock gardens like my pikes do.

the chrome steel stanchions are bullet proof.

they don't have separated high/low speed compression damping – but that's pointless anyway if you don't know A) what it means and B) how to set it up.

Gary_C

I bought some 180mm Marzocchi 66RC2X's off Winstanley's a couple of years ago for £330,even though I didn't really need them at the time.

Put them on my Turner for last years 2 week trip to Whistler.

Very,very impressed with them,they're the ones with coils in each leg,plus low-pressure ir pre-load. Ran them with zero psi in the air chamber,but put a few more cc's of oil in the legs..superb performance as a result of that.

mikey74
    Free Member

I've not been to Whistler (I'm sorry to say), but if the trails are smooth-ish then the Domain should cope fine. It's only on rocks and bad braking bumps that my old one showed itself up a bit.

Hahaha, there are lots and lots of braking bumps at Whistler, plus alot of the trails are very rocky.

Thanks for the advice. I was advised against the Domains as the damping is apparently not as good as my Lyriks.

Phatman
    Free Member

hold your horses, Fox Talas 180mm

The rumours are true!

mikey74
    Free Member

I think they will be farrrrrr too expensive

dasnut
    Free Member

bos n'dee

mikey74
    Free Member

Hahaha, now there's a cheap option 🙄

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have some 2006 66 VF2s that are internally adjustable from 150-170mm that I am selling if they are any good to you. Very nice smooth coil forks with air assist pretty good condition. I will even set the travel to 170 for you if you want them.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer, but 10mm extra travel won't really have that much affect.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘180mm forks’ is closed to new replies.