Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • 17 doing A levels and I hate it…
  • mikehopkins
    Free Member

Did you hate it? Or Currently hating it?

: (

jam-bo

Wait til you get a job, then you’ll look back on it with fond memories….

RealMan
    Free Member

I didn’t particularly enjoy the work – I don’t think many people did. But I loved college, the lessons, the sport, mates, everything about it.

First or second year?

Rorschach
    Free Member

These are the best years of your life……it’s all down hill from here yoot.

mboy
    Free Member

It gets better…

Stick with it, honestly… Sounds cliched but you’ll regret it in years to come if you don’t stick out the year or so you’ve got left, to get the pieces of paper that say you have A Levels.

Besides, if when you’re older you decide you do want to further your education (and most people do at some point, at any time from 18-80), it will be much easier for you to then get onto further education like an HND or a degree if you’ve got the A Levels already than if not.

Also, work sucks, and there’s no jobs for 16-24 year old’s anyway! Trust me, much as you don’t like it at the mo, the grass is definitely not greener on the other side…

mikehopkins
    Free Member

First year, I just want to work and get out in the big wide world. :s

cynic-al
    Free Member

I liked school, and A levels. Part time job, get pissed a bit, flirt badly with girls, jumpers for goal posts etc.

What don’t you like about it?

tommid
    Free Member

I hated it, but it opens the door for Uni, which I loved. Stick with it.
    Then do an apprenticeship and get a real job.

RealMan
    Free Member

What subjects are you doing? You’ve only got a few weeks till you’ve finished your first year, and then (assuming you’re going to a normal college like I did) you will get to drop one subject, so you’ll be doing less work, less lessons, more free time, and you’ve got rid of your least favourite subject.

Like everyone says, A levels are a great thing to have – but not everyone needs them. Wait until after your exams, see what your results are like, then talk to your parents, have a think, talk to your friends, talk to some career advisors (your college should have some, or connexions or whatever can help), come back here, and have a good think. Definitely wait until your results before making any big decisions.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Al, I love the social side it’s the work, one word…overload. : )

– Hence me posting this on a Sunday night… : P

stevewhyte
    Free Member

A levels, who needs them, what you want is a rich daddy.

project
    Free Member

Theres not a lot of jobs out there, so doing a levels is like work, you need to to it to get the grades, and hopefully get a better job.

If you where not doing a levels what would you be doing if you couldnt get a job,

sitting at a computer talking to strangers, offering advice,having a laugh, and doing the occasioanl face plant.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I hated sixth form so I left and went to college, turned out that was also shit. Unis has been great. 6 weeks left and it will all be over and I can call myself a master of engineering.

donsimon
    Free Member

Al, I love the social side it’s the work, one word…overload.

Don’t worry, it’s only a couple of years. Once you get a job you’ve look back and laugh at this overload of work, unless you become a teacher of course…

Shorty121
    Free Member

I’m currently doing A2’s and no matter how hard I try I always seem to open the results letter to find bad grades. Hopefully once I finish in around a month I got a year in New zealand

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Yeah, it is only 2 years I suppose. 😛

Thank God I have a release in the form of a 2 wheeled beauty. : D

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No but then I messed mine up badly. Things got better by university.

headfirst
    Free Member

As a teacher, I’m bloody glad I’m not doing A levels these days, its non-stop exams with no breathing space. You just need to get stuck in and keep thinking about the good times ahead after that final exam in Year 13 and easy street at Uni!

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m currently doing A2’s and no matter how hard I try I always seem to open the results letter to find bad grades. Hopefully once I finish in around a month I got a year in New zealand

I can’t imagine where the bad grades are coming from. 😉

kimbers

a-levels are great

because they get you to uni, or wherever you want to go…..

exams and coursework come to rule your life at the time and there seem to be a million things youd rather be doing,
    BUT the harder you go at it now the more options to do what you want will open up.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

What subjects are you studying? I remember struggling with physics and maths and having a horrible time with them. After I was encouraged to drop them and just keep history and geography I really started to enjoy it.

If you are studying 3 or 4 A-levels why not look to drop to 2. You will still be able to get to university on that, although higher grades would obviously be needed to keep the UCAS points up.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

English
    Art
    &
    Psychology

RealMan
    Free Member

Any idea what you want to do? I believe any A levels are better then no A levels, no matter what job you’re going for, but if you’re interested in something completely different, it might be why you’re not enjoying those subjects.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Dunno just wanna get a job and be a success at something.

anagallis_arvensis

As a teacher, I’m bloody glad I’m not doing A levels these days, its non-stop exams with no breathing space. You just need to get stuck in and keep thinking about the good times ahead after that final exam in Year 13 and easy street at Uni!

i agree with.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I am in my 1st year of uni now doing a masters in civil engineering. I struggled with maths all through my A-Levels. I started with further maths, then dropped to normal and ended up with a C. not amazing but my physics and product design grades got me into uni and it’s great. People say that A-levels make you work the hardest and I think it is probably true. Although some things at uni have been hard it is so relaxing to be able to do what you want and when. The stress of exams has gone and I am finding that I am doing well in things that I found really hard at A-level. It is a fresh start (cliché I know) but it is true and you can forget about everything that hasn’t worked out in the past and just live for the present! (even more clichéd!)
    Also I just got a new bike so it doesn’t get much better than that 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

hexhamstu – Member
    6 weeks left and it will all be over and I can call myself a master of engineering.

hmm, and like every other student, you’ll get a job and realise you know heehaw! 😀

druidh
    Free Member

mikehopkins – Member
    English
    Art
    &
    Psychology

Teacher or social worker then….

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

That Psychology A-Level is probably the one that causes you the most grief to get good grades in… and it sounds like you have no specific plans for it.

Remember you have options other than all or nothing if it gets that bad staying on top of the work load. It was the best advice I was given.

crankboy
    Free Member

A levals and degree and professional exams were all really swearfilter , I had bad exam dreams every April till I was in my thirties . But those exams laid the foundations for financial security , being a smart arse in pub quizzes and a job I enjoy . Suck it up do the work and get yourself the best results you can. It is genuinely worth it.

RealMan
    Free Member

It’s all too easy to take something easy or promise yourself something will just be a temporary thing, then get stuck in a rut. Best to decide what you want to do (or at least have some idea), before you go and try and do it. Until then, might as well stay in college IMO.

Uni is awesome by the way.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

interior design? what can you see yourself doing? then get work experience in the job you want to end up with before you start a degree.

mboy
    Free Member

If you leave education now, with no qualifications, unless you’re very lucky or have one hell of a lot of natural talent for something (ie. football or Golf), you’ll be lucky these days if you could make a success of yourself stacking shelves!

This isn’t a slight against anybody out there who doesn’t have qualifications, especially those that have done well for themselves, just sadly a result of the state of affairs we are in today. Quite simply, there are more than 1 million 18-24 year olds out of work, and most of these have no real qualifications (you spotting a pattern here?).

If you don’t like your A Levels, change them. If you don’t like the A Levels you change to, change them again. Or change to a more vocational qualification perhaps if that suits.

DO NOT THINK for one moment you’ll be able to leave college and just go and get some work… 30 years ago, yeah no problems, but times have changed drastically sunshine.

Incidentally, I’m saying this as a highly qualified 31 year old, that struggled so badly being in and out of work, I’ve decided to return to education yet again to pursue something that I’m really passionate about.

The more qualifications you have, the more choice you will have in the path your life takes.

iridebikes
    Free Member

I didnt do my a-levels, instead I did an apprenticeship. I earn more money than many friends who did do rthe a-levels and uni route, and i have been earning that money for longer. But i wish that i’d dont emy a levels, as now that im older and i want to change career and go to university, I find myself in a position where its alot harder to gain entry to a course.

I’d say stick with it, its only a year.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for all the advice, didn’t expect that much of a response. : )

stuartie_c
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    mikehopkins – Member
    English
    Art
    &
    Psychology
    Teacher or social worker then….

Eh?

samuri
    Free Member

heh! A-levels were so easy. You only work a few hours a week. And that was twenty years ago. My son (who is seventeen), seems to spend virtually all his time at home. I enjoyed college far more than sixth form though. Plenty of girls, beer and fun.

Trust me pal, once you get a job, even if you enjoy it, it’ll be 5 million times worse than what you’re doing now if you want to get on.

You’ll graft hours you wouldn’t believe possible, come under pressure that will scare you silly and spend hours at night awake worrying about work….WORK!

HTH. Have a nice life.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Realman = Conman

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

samuri – out of interest what is your job?

float
    Free Member

completely buggered my a levels too. big mistake, really limited which uni i could go to and even a lot of the engineering type job now ask for your a level results :|. In hindsight i have no idea what happend to me through college. hated every day i had to go there, no real friends, and i didnt really know what i was going to do afterwards so had no motivation. even so i went to university as was expected and it is flipping ace!

its shit at the moment but it gets a lot better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘17 doing A levels and I hate it…’ is closed to new replies.