Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1.5" fork in 2011 Orange Five/Crush?
  • s-keeper

Hi,

I’m interested in an Orange Five or Crush frame, but have 1.5″ straight steerer Revelation forks. Is there any reason I can’t get this to work with the top cup from the new Nukeproof 44EEOS headset? e.g. max cup depth or any lips that might get in the way?

Cheers,
    Andy

Rorschach
    Free Member

Headtube on the 5/crush is tapered for semi integrated 1/8 top and semi integrated 1.5 bottom.In theory you could use a 44xx (44mm I.D still external cup for 1.5 steerer) lower cup on the top of the headtube.But then you’ve still got to find a compression ring and top cap as it’ll come with a crown race.And it’ll look weird!!
    Just looked at crc-thats for a plain 1.5 (49.57mm I.D) headtube with 1.5 steerer.It won’t fit either end of the headtube on an orange!
    I have to deal with this stuff everyday an it boxes my swede!!
    Better off buying a new csu for the revs… 😥

s-keeper

The new Nuke Proof Warhead 44EEOS Headset allows you to fit a 1.5″ fork in these new 44mm headtubes the new Ragleys have. So I thought I could use the top cup from that with whatever standard zero stack bottom cup for the Five/Crush.

My concern is that the Orange headtube has some machining or whatnot that only lets you use a zerostack top cup.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Thats what I thinking….was looking at the wrong one before 😳 thats a neat doofer ain’t it?Seeing as I pressed in a headset on an Orange the other day you’d think I would have noticed eh?No such luck.I can have a look on monday for you cos there should be another one there to do by then.
    It’ll still look odd tho!

s-keeper

That would be great if you could, thanks!

I don’t mind odd. It already looks odd that I have a giant 1.5″ steerer and downhill stem sticking out of my hardtail.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Morning!!!Had a look at a crush…theres a lip about 8-10mm inside the headtube goes thicker 😥 .I’d assume the 5 headtube is the same.Sorry.

s-keeper

Many thanks for looking into it. Actually, I think this might be OK. There are two versions of the 44EEOS Headset… a deep cup one for 44mm headtubes designed for the thing, and a shallow cup one that is also compatible with ‘other’ frames. I may look at this further / take the risk.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just measured a 5…its more like 20mm on the 5 headtube.

james_turk
    Free Member

Was wondering the same, want to put straight 1.5 forks on an alpine 160.

Have a look here,

http://blog.sidewayscycles.co.uk/2011/03/25/1-5-steerer-integrated-headset/

It will look odd, but it might work!

perra
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m also looking into using the 44EEOS top cup on a standards 44 ID (ZS) headtube. (On One Carbon 456 frame)

I just found that the insertion depth on the frame allowed for the top cup is 6,5mm, and the versions of the 44EEOS I have found are ~15 and 20mm.
    So if there is a 44EEOS for “other” frames that can fit inside the 6.5 that this frame has, it would be perfect.

If there isn’t already a shallow cup, how big of a problem would it be to first cut the cup down to <6.5 before inserting it?
    I find it rather unlikely that it will pop out, or?
    Also the most stress will be on the bottom part that will be a real 1.5″ set in my case.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1.5" fork in 2011 Orange Five/Crush?’ is closed to new replies.