Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 12v air compressors for toobless?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

My 9p ghetto bong thingy has not managed to seat my Advantages, it seemed to be an inadequate amount of air for the tyre volume. It was great for my little Mud XRs but does nowt with these.

Anyone using a 12v air compressor? Maplin have one for £19.99 which could be a much simpler way to get tyres mounted if it has the initial oomf. Would also be handy for the car *strokes chin*.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No it wont work they are electric pumps not compressors, they have a low volume , you need a high volume

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The smallish Clarks or similar 240v ones seem to work well (25l or so??? Can’t remember how big mine is.)

HermanShake
    Free Member

Trail rat, that figures. I’ve read a few other pages saying the same too.

Too good to be true probably is!

Maybe I need to link some more bottles in series to increase the volume?

Northwind

Yeah, car compressoor will be useless- they generally push less air than a decent track pump.

oldnpastit

Possibly stating the obvious, but have you removed the valve core?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Core removed, but the rim strips have an oval rubber lump at the valve which creates 4 little gaps at the bead. Rim snugged a bit further with some winds of gaffer, tyre was much tighter to fit but still had these gaps.

It nearly worked, I think the extra bottle will do the job. Although the car tyre is probably an option too… We’ll see.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

I have an old Gas bottle that is quite small , i wonder if I could find any attachments to make it into an air chamber for tubeless?
    Anyone tried it?

I was thinking car valve(shraeder) for inlet and pump with electronic car pump then a tube with a open/close valve for the tyre to a track pump attachment

Then valve out and seat tyre, valve back in and bobs your auntie

Whaddya reckon?

Having said all this I seated two fat alberts last night for the first time at the first attempt, stans kit on flows no problems and still up this morning so probably dont need it, all with a track pump only

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I have a slime compressor kit in my van and this is no good for tubeless. As above too slow, blow by mouth would be better.

gusamc
    Free Member

get a bit of rope, loop end and then put a noose around centre of tyre, tighten rope loop to force centre of tyre into centre of wheel rim, whilst encouraging bead out to wheel edges, lock rope off with it clamped down and then try inflating. (*it worked for my dad on car tyres)

I have an old Gas bottle that is quite small , i wonder if I could find any attachments to make it into an air chamber for tubeless?

This is the ghetto solution.

Even the cheapest 12v compressors go to 100psi, it’s not the pressure that’s a problem, it’s the volume of air.
    What you need is a big receiver or reservoir, 10 litres or so, that can put a rush of air in to the tyre faster than it leaks out around the bead.
    A bigger compressor will fill the reservoir quicker, but it’s the reservoir doing the job.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Have you tried pushing the tyre down around the valve as you release the air? I managed to get Advantages to go up first time using that method and about 40psi in the bottle.

daveh
    Free Member

it’s not the pressure that’s a problem, it’s the volume of air.
    What you need is a big receiver or reservoir, 10 litres or so, that can put a rush of air in to the tyre faster than it leaks out around the bead.

Is it only me who sees the 4 big round rubber things on cars as accumulators? Check the max pressure on your car tyre, pump it up to that, connect to your bike and pop, pop, pop. In fact, the Hans Dampf dt5.1 was so easy I just used a tubed tyre pumped to 70psi on my other mountain bike to seat the second one!

scaled
    Free Member

Or indeed the spare one in the boot 😉

eviljoe
    Free Member

Matzzz

I’ve done this with a weedsprayer, and it works just fine. Buy a couple of motor bike screw in valves from ebay, one for in, one for out, and a length of rubber tube to go from the out to the tyre. Pump it up to about 80psi using the compressor while the hose is kinked then unkink it to let the air into the tyre. Job’s a Goodun 🙂

mrelectric

^ + 1 .
    On a thread a while ago someone reommended a weedsprayer from Screwfix. It’s 7l volume and hand pumps to pressures. It worked brilliantly once you get an adapter to fit on the valve. Cheap too.

themoodster
    Free Member

daveh – Member
    Is it only me who sees the 4 big round rubber things on cars as accumulators? Check the max pressure on your car tyre, pump it up to that, connect to your bike and pop, pop, pop. In fact, the Hans Dampf dt5.1 was so easy I just used a tubed tyre pumped to 70psi on my other mountain bike to seat the second one!

I didn’t need anything but a track pump for my HD/DT5.1, the Nobby Nic needed 40psi in a 2ltr coke bottle to seat.

OP: have you tried sqeezing the tyre at the valve when releasing the pressure from your accumulator?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I had some success with a car spray compressor worked first time in most cases. But the pressure has to be very high for the tyre to bead properly, was always concerned what would happen if the tyre bust and after going to more than 80psi with no success I gave up on tubeless. Not worth the faff.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Had a look at the old gas bottle ghetto stylee today and it looks a goer just need a trip to the camping shop for bits

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I found the larger co2 bottles worked great and got my front tyre up first time.

The back tyre was more tricky as there was a cut in the tyre and Stan squirted all over my lawn.

shermer75
    Free Member

CO2 pumps

Works every time

mrblobby
    Free Member

CO2 cartridges do the job well on the trail but why would you bother using them at home when you can build a reusable inflator for pennies?

Deveron53
    Free Member

I tried one of those ’50p’ auto limit pumps at a garage. I used the flat tyre button but it was hopeless.
    Another garage had an old fashioned airline – went up immediately.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I got around it with some duct tape 😉 I cut some valves from tubes and built up the bead cavity and the inflator did the job.

Half “gorilla tape tubeless” and half 9p bong saw me seal up a wire bead ADvantage on a 719. Just did the rear the other day and found my sidewall cut in 2 places… Time for a new tyre!

oldnpastit

Good bit of bodging there!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Weed sprayer thing works pretty well. I’ve bodged an old track pump head onto mine.

Also use (lots of) neat fairy on the tyre beads to help seal it for the initial blast of air.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Oh, and I went round the bead with a bit of extra Stan’s on the second wheel and it definitely sealed up faster than the front. It only dropped a few psi in 24hrs and didn’t weep like the front (which sealed properly after 48hrs and a ride).

That weed sprayer thing is a great idea!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘12v air compressors for toobless?’ is closed to new replies.