Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 120mm Hardtail – Show me/Suggestions
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at getting a 120mm hardtail with 2×10 drivetrain, weighing 11.5kg or less. So far I’m pretty keen on one of the Whytes, 19 Alu or 905.

Any others that I should consider?

bol

Cotics are lovely at 120.

ianpinder
    Free Member

IMG_0247 by ianpindir, on Flickr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LeeW

I was going to post a picture of my Ibis, but it looks almost exactly the same as Ian’s, but with black King wheels.

metalheart
    Free Member

A soda

Would easily build up under 11.5 on 2×10. Think there was a 21# one on the cotic website a while back.
    Oh and the Soul frame is only 1# heavier:

Neither of mine are built light though…

flyingfox
    Free Member

We sell them so I’m potentially being prejudiced here. However, it is ALL about the Whytes. Everything from the Whyte 901 is amazing, great value for money and phenomenal backup.

We like, a lot.

deviant
    Free Member

Could build it yourself?….i’m in the middle of collecting the parts to do just that.

Got a Kona Caldera frame and SLX 2×10 chainset so far, will be using the wheels from my current bike (Mavic EN521) and probably the brakes too…need to source some 120mm forks and then i’ll get building.

bongo136
    Free Member

My Kinesis xc120

deviant
    Free Member

Theres just something ‘right’ about a 120mm hardtail.

Simple, reliable, do it all….like a faithful old Labrador.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

the problem with the labrador is once out of its prime it gets a bit portly and starts to lose its rear legs and just look old.

minzo
    Free Member

Deviant, I’m going to be selling my 2009 Reba Team Dual Air 120mm maxle lite next week. They are in perfect working order, with only a small mark on one of the decals. Great forks, only reason I’m selling is I want a bit more travel so I’m buying revs. £215 posted. If you’re interested I can take photo’s and mail you them

deviant
    Free Member

Will they work with my 9mm XT hubs?

minzo
    Free Member

Don’t think so mate, they’re 20mm

deviant
    Free Member

Cheers anyway.

Kit
    Free Member

Cove Handjob frames are pretty light – one of the lightest steel frames you can buy and half the price of Ti or carbon:

Cove in Snow by Ginger F0x, on Flickr

perthmtb
    Free Member

Deviant (or anyone else who knows) – what is an SLX 2 x 10 chainset? Is it the M665 with ten speed rings on, if so which rings do you use?Or have Shimano launched a 2 x 10 variant? I currently have the 2 x 9 SLX M665 and thinking of upgrading to 2 x 10, which is why I’m asking…

speaker2animals

OOO I really dislike the look of those Crank Bros wheels. Just something not right about them. Not knocking (or know anything) their performance just don’t think they look right. But each to their own and that is a fantastic looking bike. IMHO I’d be happy for Ibis to do a none adjustable version of the Tranny (The Hetero?, which I know is incorrect, yes I am aware that you don’t have to be gay to be a cross dresser, just trying to think of a humorous (?) name) and save some cash. Cos if I had one I’d only be running it geared and am happy for the manufacturer to decide the “correct” chain stay length.

Vortexracing

Another one for a Soul

great frame

P1030728 by eastham_david, on Flickr

anthonyb
    Free Member

Very similar to Ian P’s. Just finished yesterday, just waiting on pedals
    Running Fox 120’s. well within your weight requirements

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

Boardman pro

honourablegeorge

That Ibis may well be a great frame, but it sure isn’t a pretty one.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

My recently built piglet:

Only ridden it a couple of times but seems good so far. Off to Exmoor for a proper test-run tomorrow.

tom84
    Free Member

frame kinesis 011 by biggerbenbella, on Flickr

maxlight xc120, a rocket (for sale)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘120mm Hardtail – Show me/Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.