• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by sv.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 120mm Hardtail choice….
  • jaynom
    Free Member

Hi there, long time mountain biker, first time member

I am trying to find someone who will let me ride a ragley piglet, I have been wondering about a new frame for a while and since putting 120mm RLT Ti forks on my orange, the extra length over the old 100mm just does not feel quite right on the frame.

I have been pondering over a steel hardtail for months now and think the new Stanton will be too slack (no pun intended) for the all day rides (please correct me if you own one and I am wrong), have also considered the Genesis Altitude and transition TRANSAM…

any thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

danti

Cotic Soul – 120mm is around its sweet spot, light, lively and superb handling and better quality than a Piglet IMHO.

jaynom
    Free Member

Cotic Soul? the more I read the more I want, thats slipped through the radar.

Just need to find one in Bristol area now 🙄

bol

Yep, if you can stretch to it, the Soul is the obvious choice. As Danti says 120 is it’s sweetspot in the opinion of many.

stevede
    Free Member

Soul or BFe depending on your intended use, both share the same great geometry.

sefton
    Free Member

budget?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been very tempted by a soul for a while now, though started to wonder just how twangy it would be compared to an Alu hardtail which I’ve recently been loving.

thebunk

BikeUK in Bristol are named as Cotic dealers (never seen them actually stock one though).

wwaswas

Kinesis Decade Versa/Virsa

foxyrider
    Free Member

Or if you wanna go a bit lighter and racy then a Kinesis XC130, XC3 or XCPro3? 100-130mm forks.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Dialled Prince Albert is a good choice and worth a look.

letmetalktomark

120mm Soul – Just peachy.

If budget is a constraint they do come up second hand.

andyl
    Free Member

As soon as I saw this title I thought “soul”

spanishfly
    Free Member

I have a Trans AM and a Handjob, 36s on the Tranny & SIDS on the HJ, I would suggest unless you going 20mm more ignore the Tranny.

The HJ is sweet with shorter travel.

jaynom
    Free Member

now someone has mentioned the Pipedreams Sirius

this would all be good if only I could ride any of them, just for ten minutes would be enough 😆

Kryton57

I have the Genesis Altitude (now Latitude).

Superb bike IMO, a live ride that gets more capable with more speed. MBR are testing the base model as one of thier Longtermers and are loving it – final conclusions in next months copy IIRC.

I run mine at 120 for every day use and racing, most recently at SITS.

It just doesnt have the kudos of the Soul, and is definately more made for XC than AM, which is where the Soul will beat it with a bigger fork.

takisawa2

If budget is tight you could do a lot worse than a std Inbred. Seriously, they ride lovely at 120mm. I had a Soul & a second gen Inbred, both run at 120mm, & although the Soul was obviously a pound lighter, the Inbred was just as good to ride. I’d probably still have one now, be it not for my new found preference for my clown wheeled Inbred. 🙂

jasonm945
    Free Member

I have a Sanderson Life which is lovely with 120’s, before that I had an inbred, just as nice but much less of that steel spring!

Jay

rob2
    Free Member

You can get a handjob (missus) from merlin at the moment for 404 with their VIP discount and the extra 10percent off for the next 3 days

jaynom
    Free Member

geometry not being my thing, is the piglet a big slacker than the cotic or sirius??

I grew up on BMXs and do like something a little flickable and do enjoy going down 😀

chiefgrooveguru

There’s a few Soul cosmetic seconds discounted on the site right now. Great frame – not flexy but damps the buzz!

sv

Went through this myself a few weeks back (the thread about lively/whippy steel hardtail is in my history).

I now have a Sanderson Life, those ‘2nds’ Souls look good too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘120mm Hardtail choice….’ is closed to new replies.