Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 1075gm road wheelset for less than £300
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Just building some wheels for a pal…PX 20mm carbon tub rims, rev spokes and I think A2Z hubs, **** me they are light!

njee20
    Free Member

Rude not to!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

tubs tho………doesn’t count! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh and Andy I’ll get them finished soon!

cynic-al
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think my 288g/alpha build is going to get me in trouble with an ever spiraling series of “ohh that’d be lighter” moments!

DT78
    Free Member

Tempting, my roadie is on back order and I’m already thinking about upgrades

aP
    Free Member

Is the life of them measured in hours?
    (having spent 4 hours yesterday with a Lightweight registered technician)

trailmoggy
    Free Member

my mate runs tubs and loves them, but ive told him if he gets a puncture i’m leaving him

njee20
    Free Member

No reason it should be. Rims are the same as FFWD F2Rs, androad hubs don’t have a particularly tough life!

cynic-al
    Free Member

IME road hubs do have as hard a time as mtb, even moreso when folk think they don’t and never service them…

tonyg2003

I don’t that it was the hubs/spokes that anyone was thinking about in terms of reliability. It’s the rims that would be of most concern. Although as always this depends on your weight/power.

njee20
    Free Member

FFWD place an 80kg weight limit on them, I’d have no qualms using them, but I don’t weigh 80kg.

mustard
    Free Member

on-one have a limit of 80kg on their built wheels with the same rims, I was just sshy of 80 last time I weighed myself 😀

njee – how do you know all this stuff about which brands are running the same parts, and how do you retain it?!

Al – I was weened on Guinness; all good things come to those who wait!

njee20
    Free Member

njee – how do you know all this stuff about which brands are running the same parts, and how do you retain it?!

I know about the rims in this instance because when they first listed them they still had the complete description lifted from FFWD including things like: “Includes FFWD decals under clear coat”, which seemed unlikely!

There’s quite a bit of talk about this sort of thing on Weight Weenies too, and it’s reasonably obvious in a lot of circumstances where products are shared. The rims are made by a company called Gigantex, who also brand them for Token, FSA (I think) and various others.

I retain it because I’m a complete nerd who can reel off Pi to 65 decimal places, know virtually all Shimano part numbers by heart and like lightweight bike parts 😉

mustard
    Free Member

Excellent work!

Now, what do you know about the differences between these two? http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/RIPXCAR50/planet_x_carbon_r50_rim and http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/RIPX50C/planet_x_50mm_carbon_rim and is there any reason i couldn’t use the 24 hole version of the latter as a front?

Just a wee bit of preliminary research at the moment… – must resist urge when I haven’t even ridden a tub yet never mind glued one or had to change one roadside following a puncture – thinking some Ambrosio Nemesis rims for winter 😈

njee20
    Free Member

No reason at all you can’t use a 24h as a front.

The second one, without the decals is definitely a Gigantex one, not so sure on the front one, looks a little different. I’d ask them, no reason for them to be cagey. The cheaper one is lighter, if you can live with the decals it looks a better option!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think my 288g/alpha build is going to get me in trouble with an ever spiraling series of “ohh that’d be lighter” moments!

Whats that your building? Are those stans rims?

njee20
    Free Member

I’m guessing that’s Novatech 288g hubs (from the ‘bay) and Alphas, rather than 288g Alphas, which was how I first read that.

Should still be a brilliant ‘everyday’ wheelset if you don’t want the faff of tubs.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

No reason at all you can’t use a 24h as a front.

Just be aware that a 24 hole rim might be drilled with slanting spoke holes for the off side and vertical for drive.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stans alpha rims (2x 350g) £150/pair posted 2x350g from CRC with £10 off £75 voucher codes

288g hubs off ebay (mine are branded sokin, but there’re loads of other ‘brands’ on there too, MrRide etc) £60 posted

24 spoke front, 28 spoke rear, about 40p/spoke @4.4g/spoke = 228g, £21 from rose bikes

KCNC Ti QR’s 40g, £40 from XCracer

Total weight = ~1300g inc QR’s for £270

Extras:
    £10 for some Ti QR’s from China which were so badly made I binned them
    £3 electrical tape
    £60 Park spoke tension guage (not really needed as I checked my last pair of wheels with it and they’re almost spot on and under the stans tension limit)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m guessing that’s Novatech 288g hubs (from the ‘bay) and Alphas, rather than 288g Alphas, which was how I first read that.

Should still be a brilliant ‘everyday’ wheelset if you don’t want the faff of tubs.

yes that makes sense, the PX rims or the Alpha’s are my own current build dilemma.

njee20
    Free Member

KCNC Ti QR’s 40g, £40 from XCracer

If you’ve not got the skewers already check out Mt Zoom, mine were 1g heavier than the KCNCs, but are far far more confidence inspiring; much longer levers so they actually feel like they’re holding your wheels!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Already got them, I’ve got them on the mountainbike so should be Ok on the road bike, after the chinese ones I was sticking with what I already knew! The ones from China had plastic inserts where the KCNC ones are brass, which just chewed up as soon as they were tightened, then again, what did I expect, postage to return them to china would be £8!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What tires did you get in the end?

mustard
    Free Member

What tires did you get in the end?

me, Schwalbe Ultremo HT, or TINAS?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Haven’t decided yet, the bits are still on the kitchen table as I’ve been busy and haven’t had an evening free for spannering.

I’ll probably just get whatever’s currently on the best offer out of the usual ultremo/gp4000/pro4, much as I’d like tubeless it seems an expensive faff on a road bike, and I might treat myself to some of these tubs if I can get myself under the weight limit this summer!

thekingofsweden

My alphas came in at 1225g the pair similar spec to yours.
    24/24 running tubeless for about a year no problems built by me.
    Also completed the tour of Flanders on them and there still straight as a die.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Go tubeless. It’s great.

mustard
    Free Member

Last coat of glue and mounting tubs tomorrow *excited*

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Pah, you need Tufo tape, you could have those tubs fitted and be out riding by now 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Nah, glue all the way!

1225g is good for the Alphas, considering that’d be a totally ‘normal’ wheelset.

mustard
    Free Member

Not been riding very much recently after a big crash in the bunch in a race (broke my pinkie 🙁 which then didn’t sit right and had to get wired a couple of weeks later) and the weather has been pish so didn’t think it would be wise to take them out in the chaingang until I was comfortable with the braking.

Took them out for my first proper ride on them yesterday , they feel so good, dunno if that’s ‘cos they’re tubs or just so bloody light. Braking wasn’t too scary even in the wet.

The only downside was the chunk of wire that sunk through my back tyre on the way home – looking at the bright side; changing a tub on the roadside wasn’t too bad, don’t think it took much longer than changing a tube, bit more expensive though!

Now, do I send it off to get repaired, cut it open and attempt to repair it myself or squirt in some Stans and hope for the best?

Thanks again for building them Al!

njee20
    Free Member

Bit of Stan’s won’t hurt, can always send it off if that doesn’t work.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Personally I’d get it repaired, I don’t think I could trust the tyre with only a sealant repair.

mustard
    Free Member

I’m thinking Stans and I’ll be putting some into the next training tyres I get (the cheap contis I’ve got at the mo don’t have removable cores 🙁 ) as a preventative measure, what’s 20ml of sealant when your wheels weigh this little 😀

I found a good vid of Stans at work in a tub here; [video]http://vimeo.com/6477712[/video]

3rd edit lucky 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I ran some Stan’s in my Conti Competitions. Never flatted, dunno if that was luck, or with assistance from the Stan’s though! I’d do it again as a preventative.

cynic-al
    Free Member

mustard – Member

Took them out for my first proper ride on them yesterday , they feel so good, dunno if that’s ‘cos they’re tubs or just so bloody light.

It’s the build 😉

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘1075gm road wheelset for less than £300’ is closed to new replies.