Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • £100 to spend on maintainamce stuff- Tools Grease etc- advice needed
  • geoffers72
    Free Member

Hi all, I have had a bike for years but now find myself keen to learn more so what tools, greases starter kit should i get- Been on CRC and there is toolkits for 50 quid

Also what kind of spares do you lot keep- suck as Chain, Tubes tyres etc

Thanks for looking and I appreciate anyone taking the time to reply

Thanks

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

A good set of hex keys are a must. Try Bondhus, Allen, Teng, Snap on etc.

I keep spares of nearly everything.

Spare rings, cassette, chain, cables, mechs, mech hanger, brake pads, bearings, spokes and tyres are handy to have. Build up these stocks with heavily discounted stuff so you don’t have to make a distress purchase at your lbs.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hi, I keep spare tubes (Slime) a chain in my cycling bag. The idea being I can get home again should those break, also a first aid kit should I break.

My bike tools have been built up over the years, I’ve got a mix of park tools, Stanley Allen keys and screw drivers. And a few bits I’ve needed over the years. I also use that muck off replica stuff from poundland to clean my bike, I think it’s a good bargain. Happy cycling.

geoffers72
    Free Member

I dont know what to get on CRC- was just going to browse but dont know what kit is good from what isnt

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Alen keys.
    Torx keys. Same as above.
    Spanners
    Screwdrivers
    Rubber Mallet
    Hacksaw
    Tyre levers
    A reasonable track pump
    Anything specific to your bike (HTII BB spanner etc)
    Chain oil
    Prep grease/copper grease
    Park bearing grease
    Muc off
    WD40
    Rubber gloves
    ABFO hammer

Then you can add things like gucci grease guns, torque wrences etc… later on. But with the tools above you can strip your bike down to it’s component parts.

I don’t bother keeping spares in my shed (except what’s in my camelback*). Just keep 6 bikes instead, then you don’t have to worry too much if ones not fit to go out on a Sunday morning… 🙂

*In my camel back I have 2 tubes, some chain, a spare mech hanger, zip ties, puncture repair kit, pump, spare bolts, brake pads and then the usual tools.

mattstreet

Good list by tree-magnet there – only thing I’d can think of right now on top of that is a good chain splitting tool.
    Happy shopping!

midlifecrashes

Nobody said spoke key yet? The triple size Park one is handy if you have a range of bikes with different spoke nipple sizes.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

But if you only have modern mtbs you will be less likely to round your nipples with a red spokey.

Decent cable cutters will be useful.

Avoid bike specific brands, they are often overpriced.

llama

you can build a bike with: hex keys, cable cutters, BB tool, hacksaw, grease, hammer, pump, tyre levers, chain tool

don’t forget the hammer

geoffers72
    Free Member

Thre is a Kit over there from X-Tools- any of you know if there kit is good enough quality?
    Seems like Park Tools are a big name

Who is a good brand for getting grease- I noticed the guy from Chain Reaction using a clear grease

flip
    Free Member

Work stand will change your life!!

Good cable cutters too 😉

andyl
    Free Member

I got a basic bike tools box from Lidl for £20 – has a decent (if you are sensible and not ham fisted) chain splitter, cone wrenches, allen keys (I have loads anyway from working on cars etc) and octalink bb/CL rotor tool, chain wrench etc etc. Pretty much the same as the ones you pay £40-50 for.

Then I added to it with things that were missing (eg £3 chain ring bolt tool) and some decent (eg Park or others) things that warranted it – eg external BB shell tool etc. I like park blue tyre levers too as they are nicer to use than softer ones.

Wire cutters I got some decent ones from a tool shop with the good curved jaws.

Greases etc – despite having lots of nice cheap car products i have splashed out on some bike specific stuff but look at Weldtite stuff for red teflon grease which is great in hubs and only £3.99.

Track pump – can highly recommend Topeak sprint ones – the cheapest one with the air release button – it is all you need and will outlast any cheap one and be easy to live with and not get thrown across the garden.

Oh and another good buy from lidl is the bike stand. Had a few £80+ ones and the £30 lidl one is more sturdy and feels better made. Clamp is a bit poo but that can be fixed.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Bought the Chain Reaction X-Tools kit as a spare set of tools to leave in the chalet workshop. No complaints about it – not as well-finished as, say, Park obviously but most of the tools do the job just fine. The only gripe would be the chain tool, which only has 1 stop – 2 is better, makes it much easier to loosen up a link if it’s stiff after joining. Tyre levers are a bit flimsy. Otherwise, includes almost everything you need to strip/re-build a modern mountain-bike.*

Also bought a set of the handled allen keys from Superstar. These have been a real winner. Quality is decent enough (no-one’s managed to round one off yet!) and having a big, chunky set stops people losing them!

*Except a big hammer…

tony24
    Free Member

Cable cutters get irwin off ebay as there twice as good as the brands on chain reactions and half the price, samw goes for allen keys etc irwin and stanley will be better and cheaper.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Allen key set.
    Hammer.
    Rubber mallet.
    Cone spanners.
    Pedal spaner.
    chainring bolt tool.
    BB tool.
    Sram power links.
    Adjustable spaner.

In reality an Allen key set and a mallet will pretty much strip a bike down to it’s component parts.

geoffers72
    Free Member

having looked through the kits it appears like X-Tools seem ok and are a good price

I also like that fact that the tool boxes dont all seem to share the same kit

Going to get some grease and lubs- how many different kinds should i get(for my bike only)…lol

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

A mate had the lidl kit, the chain tool broke on the first use, the pin spanner went the same way.

Newer park chain tools have a chromed pin which seems to bend very easily compared to the older black pin.

Pedro’s plastic tyre levers are better than park, i’ve broken plenty of them!

The x tools stuff is cheap, that is the point in its favour.

geoffers72
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies Stuart

I am new to the whole fix and maintain your own bike

I thought about taking a course- did most of the guys pretty much teach themselves?

donsimon
    Free Member

Decathlon used to do a fairly comprehensive tool kit for about €30,00 and a stand for about €50,00 leaving plenty of money for a decent hammer. A good course would be good too but if you have a logical mind you’ll find most stuff on the interweb.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I use several different greases and lubes tbh:
    Rock N Roll Red Devil (general)
    Rock N Roll Super Web (hubs and bearings)
    Rock N Roll Super Coat (seatposts, anti seize, bars/stem
    Stendec Easy Glide Fork Grease (pretty self explanatory)
    Fork Juice
    Muc Off Wet Lube
    WD40
    White Spirit (chain cleaning)
    Isopropyl Alcohol (brake pad, rotor cleaning)

That’s lubes and stuff but realistically you don’t need half of it. Tools, as above really

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘£100 to spend on maintainamce stuff- Tools Grease etc- advice needed’ is closed to new replies.