Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • 100 days until the Kielder 100
  • wenanwhere
    Free Member

The day is pretty epic and you get dragged along with that and particularly getting chatting to people. Just make sure you have you back drops dialled in with your favourite munch and carry plenty of fluid, best to carry too much better stops than run out. A few people were losing bottles so make sure your cage(s) hold em tight.

Mike, agree with the head game stuff, look at Eddie Izzard, say no more. Mind over matter…

miketually
    Free Member

Jan: 101 miles
    Feb: 102 miles
    Mar: 132 miles
    Apr: 148 miles
    May: 100 miles
    June: 96 miles

Oh dear, it’s going to bloody hurt, isn’t it?

uplink
    Free Member

Just one month now

And I have a cracked wrist that’s hampering me a bit but I managed nearly 9 hrs solid riding last Saturday on very similar terrain at Hamsterley

pretty sure I have the endurance but the speed may let me down

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Anyone know about tapers? Thinking I’ve got three hard weeks training before a gradual taper over a fortnight.

What are other people going to do?

uplink
    Free Member

What are other people going to do?

Stop all riding on, about the Wednesday before
    All my training has had to be ad hoc but I feel strong enough, difficult to plan things when I don’t know where I’ll be from one day to the next

Roo
    Free Member

I’ll be spending the 2 weeks before mostly panicing.

Is it too early to start carbo loading?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’m planning to ride every day in the two weeks before hand, but mostly just flat 10 mile rides on my road bike at tick-over. I think it’s really important to keep the legs turning over so they don’t feel flat come race day.

But then I’ve not done much MTB racing and nothing like this, so I’m just applying running principles to the situation really, so would appreciate some input from those better qualified.

uplink
    Free Member

Well I have a training plan [that I never got to use] based on something Matt from Torq wrote for the mag a couple of years back

It goes something like

3 weeks to go – very hard training week

2 weeks out
    Mon – rest
    Tues – hill reps
    Wed – Rest
    Thurs – rest
    Fri – easy spin out
    Sat – 5 hrs moderate
    Sun – rest

1 week out
    Mon – rest
    Tues – Hill reps
    Wed – rest
    Thurs – rest
    Friday – easy spin or rest
    Sat – race

jonb
    Free Member

Try and ride a bit over the next 2 weeks. GO away walking for a week. Rest in the final week before the event.

Any training plan has gone out the window, I feel quite a bit less prepared than last year.

uplink
    Free Member

The 3 weeks thing I posted up there was the last 3 of 13 BTW, as you were asking about tapering

ace_sparky
    Free Member

I am into the final hard week of my second 4 week build period, then I have an easy recovery week, then 2 weeks to peak and a week to taper. I was up at Kielder at the weekend just to check out the area for the first time, rode the Lakeside way and all the red routes including the 1900ft climb up to deadwater fell, about 50miles with over 6000ft of climbing and legs felt good. Gear and bike is about sorted, just need to service the bb, forks & shock over the next few weeks, overall training going well, making good progress and feeing pretty good so far 😀

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Some good tips guys, I recently participated in some sports science research and got my proper heart rate zones etc, bit late to be using them now though! My VO2 max is 63 apparently, racing roadies are about 70 so not too bad.

As I’ve got 3 totally different events to train for on the day for Killer Kielder I’m doing as much as I can fit in including early morning swims (motion is similr to kayaking) and doing evening duathlons.

I think generally there’s not much point doing loads of miles at this stage, some short sharp sessions will give you more bang for your buck I reckon.

I’m doing the coast to coast virtually in the metro centre on saturday on a tacx turbo trainer with gps software whilst selling smoothies made by pedal power, a good solid 12 hour fund raising session for the Calvert Trust!

My top tip would be focus on what its going to feel like when you finish, this will help you get there.

schmiken

I’m not able to do it now so have a Kielder entry for sale! £40?

lilpete
    Free Member

Just back from two days at Kielder, 50 miles both days brought all the memories back from last year. Everything is a lot soggier than last year the reservoir is very full due to the amount of rain we’ve had. The trails are OK but the long sections of fire road are a lot heavier than last year. I live locally and I can’t see this really changing much unless we have 2 weeks of glorious sunshine. The main thing I had forgot was how much of the singletrack around Kielder was on loose, rocky and very bumpy ground! my backside is in agony today. If you’ve never done it before I would recommend a waterproof goretex or similar. The forecast for the last 2 days was good but we got SOAKED for an hour both days and it won’t be funny riding all day soaking wet. As the one of the girls in the cafe said when someone told her it was always raining at Kielder she said “ That’s why we built a reservoir here.” says it all really. Be prepared for bad weather as it comes from nowhere around here pretty much on a daily basis. And my final tip: eat as much as you can throughout the race as it is unrelenting! Still it’ll be great race you’ll never forget.

fasthaggis

My only fear is …….THE MIDGE. 😉

jonba
    Free Member

I was up there on Saturday. Did the ride over to Newcaslteton and Deadwater. I’ll echo the above. It was very wet on the ground and some of the fire road was really tough going. It has about half an inch of what feels like wet sand on top and was really dragging.

Very little mud on the proper trails as always. If it doesn’t dry up massively I’ll be running mudguards as I go soaked. I was out for 5 hours and the next five would have been pretty uncomfortable had I continued.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Going up on sunday for a recce.

Doing the xborder loop so will report back on Monday.

paul4stones

Can’t be as wet as it was the first year . . .

Kielder 100 on Flickr. 2009

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Can we all pray for sunshine!

Trying to up the fundraising on my killer kielder epic on the same day, link to my fundraising page is http://www.justgiving.com/killerkielderchallenge all for the local charity Calvert Trust Kielder.

cheers

Matt

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Any tips on tyres guys given loose conditions, surely kielder doesnt warrant anything more than a crossmark?

senorj

I stuck a crossmark on the rear last year.It was fine.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Ive been up to kielder a couple of times this year. Both times with a crossmark xc on the rear/ ardent on the front. Last one was ok, one before that I ripped the sidewall on the descent from the radio mast just over the border.

I think I shall be putting another ardent on the back on the day.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

guys, went up yesterday, although its been raining on and off for a while here it didnt seem particularly bad, just the usual sandy conditions

Diane
    Free Member

I will be marshalling at the cut off/ 100 mile checkpoint again so say ‘Hi’ if you can speak at this stage – Oh and wear some nice lycra too 😀 Oh and when you get to me there will still be about 5 miles left to go

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Ah yes the ‘its just at the top of this hill’ ladies pain and misery were brought to many when they realised they had several miles still to go! Seriously though thanks for marshalling.

Diane
    Free Member

Ah yes – good luck with the 3 disciplines ! OMG I’m tired just thinking of it

fasthaggis

Looks like we have timed that weather window just right 😥

Still ,at least it will drown some of the midge 🙂

wool

There will be no wind (so lots of midges) and pouring down with the wet stuff a quality day out! 😈

senorj

asscheeks. looked at the five day forecast this morning and was quite optimistic.
    just had another look…..buggery.
    Trying to look on the bright side ,as far as I am aware, rain =less of the midge.

oldnpastit

Trying to look on the bright side ,as far as I am aware, rain =less of the midge.

Just keep telling yourself that….

I always thought it was bright sunshine and strong winds that kept them at home….

jonb
    Free Member

What forecast are you using. BBC says light rain.

senorj

BBC – search Newcastleton.

GEDA
    Free Member

Didn’t you watch the program on chaos theory? There is no way they can predict. As long as it is not windy I do not care.

uplink
    Free Member

until thursday pm – it isn’t really worth looking at the detail

miketually
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/325?area=Newcastleton

But whatever the forecast, it could be doing anything locally on the day.

broonster
    Free Member

Seriously, the BBC can’t forecast tomorrow’s weather accurately, never mind the weekend’s! 😆

senorj

Youre’ all right of course , but it doesn’t stop me looking. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Pacelets are up at http://tinyurl.com/k100pacelet2011

Can someone double check the figures for me? A couple of the checkpoints were only 1 mile more/less than a feed station, so I just used one figure for simplicity.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘100 days until the Kielder 100’ is closed to new replies.