Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 10 year old son falling asleep and ill all weekend..Help.
  • flip
    Free Member

My 10 yr old son had a cold last week for a couple of days, Wed-Thurs. I picked him up for my weekend on Friday and he has been sleeping most the afternoons and all night and has a headache, and is dopey when he’s awake.

I don’t think it’s meningitis as he’s not been sick and has no rash, he’s had Calpol and today i got some child Sudofed because i thought his headache was his sinuses blocked but he seems the same.

Any thoughts? he’ll be going to the docs tomorrow if no change.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Glandular fever or something similar?

Drac

Ring NHS Direct tonight or pop along to a walk in centre or even cas. It’s worth getting kids checked out as sleeping all the time and headaches is not right, not trying to scare you but high temp and rash don’t always show in meningitis.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Sleepy possibly indicates body fighting infection/virus. I think online NHS Direct offers a very good service, better even than STW!

oldgit
    Free Member

Same here but not a kid, see my earlier post.

CHB

Don’t intend to panic, but could he have carbon monoxide exposure? The effects can last a LONG time.

meehaja
    Free Member

yeah bimble down to A&E, they’ll be fine with it. NHSD will just call an ambulance for you, as will walk in centre.

SaxonRider

Ditto NHS Direct. Their’s is a wonderful service, and have helped us with our kids numerous times.

Give them a ring.

singletrackmind
    bwaarp
    Free Member

A&E

Not worth messing around when children are involved. Has he got any neck rigidity (as in can he touch his chest with his chin?) What is his temperature? Sudden high fever and altered mental status and/or neck rigidity could be signs of meningitis. You don’t need a rash to have it, depending on the cause.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Ring NHS Direct tonight or pop along to a walk in centre or even cas. It’s worth getting kids checked out as sleeping all the time and headaches is not right, not trying to scare you but high temp and rash don’t always show in meningitis.

this

midlifecrashes

My middle child, 12 year old was off school Thursday and Friday with a similar bug. Feeling very hot, drowsy and very sleepy. She did sleep maybe 16 hours a day and caught up on some CBeebies, but is near enough fine now. We Calpoled and kept her fluids up, but didn’t do anything else other than keep a close eye on her in case it turned worse.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i had similar – sinus headache/ infection for 7 days then felt better then woke up chundered had fever, headache, temperature etc; slept on/off for ages. had a rash come up so went to hospital – but not meningitus. felling much better now. 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

Just go straight to the A&E
    Thats what i did with my Daughter rather there than the GP
    Find good children’s hospital But you should jump the cue
    Good luck

flip
    Free Member

He been awake for a couple of hours now, seems ok, thanks for replies.

Going to keep eye on him.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

My two kids (3 & 5) have recently had slap cheek syndrome aka fifths disease. Each had a fever followed by very red cheeks and a rash on their body and arms. Our eldest’s school said there is loads of it going about.

3 weeks ago i had a fever come on very quickly with a complete loss of energy. Took to my bed for 5 days with a temp of 39. Also became anaemic. After the fever came a rash all over my body, at times insanely itchy. The last week I’ve had very sore joints and again no energy. I’ve not felt this rubbish since getting glandular fever 30 years ago.

At the same my friend’s ten year old son got fifths disease and ended up in ICU having three blood transfusions.

It does seem the older you are the worse it can be.

flatfish
    Free Member

I had similar for two days(wed-thurs) this week. Felt dreadful, spent a day and a half in bed.
    Had a game of paintball booked for yesterday which I had no interest in(normally I’d be giddy about it) but had a great game and been out on my bike this morning.
    Still not completely better but almost back to normal on sunday evening.

TiRed

My two kids (3 & 5) have recently had slap cheek syndrome aka fifths disease

Can be nasty – my son gave it to me (thanks) and I had a really bad reaction with an arthritis that lasted over a month. You have to have a special genetics to have this though. It’s almost a diagnostic! Sounds like you had something similar.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘10 year old son falling asleep and ill all weekend..Help.’ is closed to new replies.