Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 10 speed mech compatability warning.
  • JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Bought all the bits to convert my SS to a 1 x 9 for the purposes of commuting. Wanted to use a GS length mech and the only xt GS in stock was a 10 speed. I thought it would work as in the dim and distant past I have run 9 speed mechs on 8 speed set ups for the gradual, bit by bit, upgrade.
    It doesnt work. The 10 speed mech will not fully traverse across a 9 speed cassette with a 9 speed shifter.
    Expensive lesson learnt. Brand new 10 speed xt GS rear mech up for grabs as a result. I will stick it in classifieds with a photo and a price later to keep things tidy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Plenty of posts on this very topic!

Shirley you can return it?

smiffy

the pull ration changed for 10-speed.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Didn’t think I would be the first but thought I would share anyway. Maybe returnable, chucked all the packaging though.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ah, probably not returnable then.

phil.w
    Free Member

Shimano 10spd mtb is not compatible with anything else as the cassette is wider.

Sram 10spd is the same width as 9spd & 10 spd road (sram & shimano).

shortcut

this looks like a minefield! So no using shimano gears and sram cassettes or the other way around? Make your choice and stick to it????????????????????

xanboy
    Free Member

The shimano 10sp cassette is the same width as their 9 speed cassettes. The cable pull ratio has changed for the shifter and the mech has slightly different pivot placement and angle. The mtb chain is different to the road chains too.

dobo
    Free Member

maybe something here will work for you

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

scaredypants

reckon you’ll get someone to swap you easy enough – I would but I don’t have a nearly new 9sp mech

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘10 speed mech compatability warning.’ is closed to new replies.