Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 10 speed – let me get this straight…
  • oxym0r0n

Shimano
    7,8,9 speed – all mechs compatible with each other & SRAM front mech. cassette, chain specific to number of speeds

SRAM
    7,8,9 speed – rear mech & rear shifter not compatible with Shimano but everything else fine (as above)

Shimano
    10 speed – different cassette, chain and rear mech – not compatible with SRAM, 7,8,9 speed and different chain/cassette/mech for road

SRAM
    10 speed – different cassette, chain and rear mech – not compatible with Shimano, 7,8,9 speed and different chain/cassette/mech for road
    😯 ❓

cynic-al
    Free Member

My knowledge of Shimano 6-9 speed

6-9 speed rear mechs are cross compatable. Fronts? – “kind of” – you may experience rubbing (fnaar).

9s chains work on 6-9s cassettes & chainrings (with a few exceptions).

8s chains work on 6-8s cassettes & chainrings.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty much, why is this such a big issue? I mean I don’t go into halfords shouting the odds because ford oil filters wont fit BMW engines?

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’m holding out for the Gilette Decade 10 blade.

What? oh you were talking about gears.

Rickos
    Free Member

Shimano 10 speed rear mechs are definitely not compatible with other Shimano as the cable pull is different. Not certain about the SRAM 10 speed mechs though. I think Shimano have moved to the SRAM 9 speed actuation ratio for their 10 speed (or something very close to it), but don’t know if SRAM have changed to something else. Shimano 9 speed is a 2:1 and SRAM 9 speed is 1:1 IIRC.

bassspine
    Free Member

All 6 speed mechs these days are so sh1te you can’t tell if they’re working properly or not. And a 9 speed chain won’t fit on the jockey wheels all that well.

6, 7, 8 chains cross are compatible, 9 speed with 9 speed, 10 speed ROAD chains with 10 speed ROAD, shimano 10 speed MTB chain on its own.

TBH I have my doubts about SRAM 10 speed cassettes and shimano 10 speed STIs, we’ve had some issues with Roubaixes which come with that mix and don’t shift perfectly down from 5 to 4.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pretty much, why is this such a big issue? I mean I don’t go into halfords shouting the odds because ford oil filters wont fit BMW engines?

Where did he say it was a big issue?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

The 10 speed road chains work just fine, got them on all my MTBs which are all 10 speed.

Phil_H

According to the man on the shimano stand at sits the actuation ration for the dynasys is 1:1.5

bol

I’ve got a shimano 10spd road chain on my SRAM 10spd drivetrain and it works just dandy. Don’t think you can mix cassettes/mechs though.

oxym0r0n

But why don’t they?

I have always liked swapping around components/upgrading slowly but with the recent introduction of so many standards it’s progression – better, stronger, lighter bikes blah de blah it is quite confusing and a lot more expensive to change around frames etc.

Gone are the days you could swap a frame and just have to worry about the front mech and seatpost fitting… 🙁

StuE
    Free Member
    Edric64
    Free Member

Where did he say it was a big issue?

Whos homeless?

bassspine
    Free Member

so there y’go oxym0r0n, that’s it definitively answered – it’s all a matter of opinion.

oxym0r0n

so there y’go oxym0r0n, that’s it definitively answered – it’s all a matter of opinion.

😀

Thanks StuE – that’s a useful thread for Shimano…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But why don’t they?

I have always liked swapping around components/upgrading slowly but with the recent introduction of so many standards it’s progression – better, stronger, lighter bikes blah de blah it is quite confusing and a lot more expensive to change around frames etc.

Gone are the days you could swap a frame and just have to worry about the front mech and seatpost fitting…

My old forks are a bit heavy, do you reckon the new sektor lowers will fit my 2003 pilots?

oxym0r0n

My old forks are a bit heavy, do you reckon the new sektor lowers will fit my 2003 pilots?

I don’t know why I am even bothering – you don’t have a BMW, you have an MG which does not even run, plus you have bombers which weigh as much as my bike not pilots AFAIK.

I bet when you were a kid your lego was all mixed up with sticklebricks and playmobile! Go and tidy your man cave or something 🙄

Rorschach
    Free Member

The only ting single speed is’nt compatible with is healthy knees….and having friends.
    I’m deliberately ignoring the whole 1/8,3/32 thing to preserve the comedy effect.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘10 speed – let me get this straight…’ is closed to new replies.