Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 10% "Handling fee" – Can they do this?
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I ordered a frame a while ago, and circumstances have changed, and I’ve cancelled my order. The frames weren’t going to be available until the 24th Nov.

I’ve been told that the distributors are going to charge the retailer a 10% handling fee (£85!) as they’ve processed the order already, which they’re going to pass on to me.

As there was no mention of this “fee” when I asked them to reserve me one, and I wouldn’t have done the pre-order if they’d mentioned it.

Is this one that I should just take on the chin, or is there a case for getting my money back?

I paid via paypal.

xiphon
    Free Member

What are the terms and conditions of the original sale?

Does it mention a ‘restocking fee’ if the order is cancelled after a certain time?

wwaswas

your contract is with the retailer – if they’ve been charged a restock/handlign fee they don’t need to pass it on to you.

however, if you’ve paid a deposit then that might be considered non-returnable.

but the delivery date has slipped (or is it your circumstances that have changed?) so I’d expect everyone (includign distributer to be a bit flexible. If it’s just you changing your mind may just ahve to take it on the chin.

IanMunro
    Free Member

As I understand under the distance selling regs you’re entitled to return the goods and get a full refund. If they say well it doesn’t count because they haven’t sent it to you, tell em to send it, and then you’ll send it straight back.

djglover
    Free Member

Charge back…

dan1980
    Free Member

There wasn’t anything in the t&cs that mentioned any kind of fee.

It is me that’s changed my mind on the order so I’m not really going to kick up to much of a fuss about it, other than there being no mention of the handling fee from the retailer, and I wouldn’t have carried on with the order if they’d mentioned it.

uplink
    Free Member

Legally they need to set out the terms of their returns/cancellation policy at the time you ordered it
    If they did, it needs to address the deposit issue so that you were fully aware of the consequences of cancelling the order

wwaswas

is it distance sale or you walked into a shop (Paypal would indicate the former)? If it’s distance then you’re due a full refund as above.

ojom
    Free Member

Sounds pants.

If it gets messy then IanMunro has the answer.

I would imagine though this is a normal everyday frame yes? Not a custom spec job?

dan1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It was an online order for a standard, off the shelf frame, then emails with the shop in question when they notified me the item was out of stock (interestingly still available on their website :o/ )

I’ll politely ask for my full refund and if they don’t want to give me the full amount, I guess I can start a paypal dispute (just inside the 45 days)

dan1980
    Free Member

Interesting development!

I’d emailed the distributors regarding the 10% handling fee, and just got a replay saying they don’t actually charge one!

Naughty retailer!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Heh Heh, Good move checking with the distributor 😀

andyl
    Free Member

Sounds like attempted fraud by the retailer then. You can log a fraud complaint online.

wwaswas

time to name and shame?

cb

Don’t suppose you’d care to name said retailer? I’d quite like to add them to my list of shops that I’m never going to use…

crispedwheel
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member

As I understand under the distance selling regs you’re entitled to return the goods and get a full refund. If they say well it doesn’t count because they haven’t sent it to you, tell em to send it, and then you’ll send it straight back.

Useful info, ta.

dan1980
    Free Member

The retailer is Biketechs of Rochdale.

I’ve given then till 5pm Monday to give me the refund in full otherwise I’ll lodge a dispute with Paypal and inform trading standards etc.

I’ve sent the distributors (Hotlines) a copy of the email that Biketechs sent me, so hopefully they’ll get a telling off from them too.

xiphon
    Free Member

*mental note to self*

Don’t buy anything from Biketechs of Rochdale.

Nothing worse than a dishonest bike shop…. or any

Cougar

I’d emailed the distributors regarding the 10% handling fee, and just got a replay saying they don’t actually charge one!

Fantastic. Good work.

Distance selling regs FYI.

thebunk

That’s bloody disgraceful that is.

* sharpens the pitchfork and looks for Rochdale on the map *

Junkyard
    Free Member

very funny well done you
    Yes under distance selling regs you could take the frame then send it back and get a full refund so they would be stupid to not refund you especially given the lies they have said.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m intrigued as to the shop’s response to this now…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cowboys!

dan1980
    Free Member

I’ll keep this updated once I hear (assuming I do) from them.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing that rip-off merchant in Buxton does.

albino
    Free Member

Any more news on this Dan1980? I live in Rochdale and it would be interesting to see how things have developed. Biketechs are relativley new in town. I haven’t had the need to use them for anything yet but I was hoping that they would be a breath of fresh air compared to the other, less than enthusiastic, LBS in Rochdale. Think I’ll keep up my trips to Rideon by the looks of things though.

dan1980
    Free Member

An update!

I hadn’t heard anything from them so launched a paypal dispute. I finally got my money back this morning from Paypal, and as part of the refund, got a cheery note from Biketechs saying:

“Hi Dan here is a full refund sorry for the inconvenience.”

I’m not sure them trying to steal £85 of me, and withholding a refund as something best described as an “inconvenience” but there you go. I’m not massively happy it’s taken so long, but at least I’m not out of pocket any more.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘10% "Handling fee" – Can they do this?’ is closed to new replies.