Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1 X 9 set up yes or no?
  • bigdave
    Free Member

Guys i have an AM bike but live in Calderdale, I was thinking of converting my double setup to a 1 X 9 setup, i need to be able to pedal uphill but also on the other hand i go to Morzine once a year so need it high enough geared for that, Any suggestions? Put an advert in Wanted section for some parts that i think i may need.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

will 1/9 be enough gears? Calderdale has good few steep climbs does it not? 3 chainring with a 32 / 34 bottom gear low enough for calderdale? – wouldn’t be for me and a 32 / 11 top gear spinning out at 20 odd mph would be barely high enough.

Depends if you like to / can cope with mashing your way uphill at a low cadence spinning like a loon downhill

Rickos
    Free Member

Go 32 up front with a 11-34 cassette for home and then just bung on a 36 or whatever for that week in the Alps.

dobo
    Free Member

i think i’d go for a double setup if i were going to morzine or somewhere really hilly so i could get some speed going down hill

i use 1×9 currently and 32/11-32 is fine for the hills but it is a compromise on fast decents and roads.

fine for me might not be fine for you, especially as my bike is xc and not downhill

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Isn’t Calderdale steep-sided? If you like stand-up climbing, yes it will be fine.

sofatester
    Free Member

I would stick with what you’ve got. Though I’m not you, so do whatever makes you happy and enjoy your riding more.

c9tln
    Free Member

1×9 would be fine around Calderdale,I ain’t that fit and I’ve never had too much trouble in that area.

whytenosugar
    Free Member

I ride west Pennine moors, gisburn, lee quarry etc 1×9 on my hard tail. I have 34 up front and 11/34 out back and it’s great, nice and simple. Not sure I would want this set up for a trip to Wales, Scotland or morzine!

br
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, just get use to pushing up long steep hills 😉

bunnerscj
    Free Member

I have it, no probs, not many hills you cant climb on 32 / 11-32. 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1 X 9 set up yes or no?’ is closed to new replies.