Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 1 bike vs 2
  • mafiafish
    Free Member

got the standard 140mm bike but hasn't really proven to be any better/ more capable more comfortable than my old 120mm bike.
    Considering gerrin' rid and geting a 6-7" bike sx trail or something? and keeping the xc one.
    Just from experience of people with a trail bike and a play bike do you constantly feel 'I should have brought the other bike for this' whilst out on a ride? Cost is an issue too so I can have one v good all mounatin bike or 2 ok bikes. Any suggestions?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I wouldn't have bought a 140mm bike if I already had a perfectly good 120mm bike, for exactly the reasons you're experiencing; they're not all that different. I'd want a DH bike, a long travel hard-tail, then I'd probably ditch the 120mm and get a 100mm and a 140mm bike, in that order, if I was expanding my bike collection.

Drac

What only 2 bikes?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Drac – Member
    What only 2 bikes?

Yeah, I thought that…

What an odd concept.. 😉

stompy

What only 2 bikes?

😯

mafiafish
    Free Member

Student so two is most I can get away with!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

*pulls up chair*

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Each to his own. I've only got one bike & I'll guarantee nobody on this forum, even those with X number of bikes, enjoy themselves ANY MORE than me when I'm on mine. & thats what counts, If your'e happy with 2,3,4,5,6,7 or whatever amount of bikes, then why not?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

So long as you can afford.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Essel what bike? Mine are hi-fi deluxe 2008 and 2009 prophet.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've only got the four, but ones a roadie, the other a SS commuter and 2 MTB's.

I have found myself riding my HT less though as my FS gets lighter and more nimble feeling – me likely adjustable rear bounce 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Essel what bike?

Mine's a plain old HT, albeit a custom brazed frame jobby, 130 forks on it. Does me for everything including a trip to Chamonix a few years back where it was fine. I have had 2 FSsers as well as the HT but got shot of both & now have no intention of having more than 'Old faithful'

Drac

A poor stundent ay 2008 and 2009 bikes I feel sorry for you.

titusrider
    Free Member

hummmmmmm interesting proposal, ive got no experiance of 120mm but my 140mm full sus is a dream come true, climbs as well as my 100mm full sus previously and decends as well as my SX trail ever did (well bloody close anyway)

if your 140mm bike doesnt match up to this then maybe you didnt buy the right one!!

Rickos
    Free Member

I'd have a 120mm lightweight (26ish pounds) for long days out and a 160mm burly bike (33 to 35 pounds) for uplifts and woodsy razzing running 1×9 and a chain device and prolly coil suspension front and rear.

So, something like a Fuel or Rush and an 05/06 Enduro or Patriot.

mafiafish
    Free Member

A poor stundent ay 2008 and 2009 bikes I feel sorry for you.

Plenty of time to work in the summer! Perhaps incredibly tight rather than empoverished would be a better desciption.

GW
    Free Member

got 7 bikes and don't think I've ever felt I'd taken the wrong one.
    and I don't even have a trail bike.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I have a marin quake (7") an 07 giant trance (4.2") and a charge blender (0")
    Have only just got the blender and already I can see some issues of wishing i'd brought the other bike but its not that bad.
    i'm definitely happy with the quake and trance arrangement.

Rickos
    Free Member

mafiafish – were you at the FoD a couple of weeks ago on a white Prophet? If you were I was the bloke on the black one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you race on the XC bike?

If not, I'd keep the 140mm bike and get a bigger bike (if that's the direction you want to go in).

Otherwise you could feel there's too big a gap between bikes and that the XC bike isn't man enough for a lot of rides.

I just bought a 140mm biek for this reason.

DezB
    Free Member

I've got a 145mm bike and a hardtail. No need for anything else (yet).
    Apart from the hack and the road bike.

Obviously, I'd like a short travel FS (ooh, say an ASR-SL), but can live without.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think fitness and perception are bigger factors than I like to admit.

Some/most days I think my 30lb 130mm hardtail is just too heavy and I should jack it in for a rigid 2×9 XC bike. Then I look back and realise its not just me suffering on the climb and that in reality I'd climb faster if I got shot of a few kg's from my waist rather than the bike.

Then again the bike collection has gotten silly in recent years so I'm going to have a big sell off and concentrate on one rigid bike for all day rides weighing somewhere in the low 20's, as most of the time at Swinely I forget to un lock out the forks anyway! And maybe we had it right in the 90's after all!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

You've seen how many bikes I have (albeit with very clear categories- XC race, burly HT, 6" bouncer) and I've never felt like I've taken the wrong bike.

I take them all to Kemback and ride the same stuff, just in a different way. Obviously I'll do bigger stuff on the DH bike and the Evil, but I'm happy doing the first 2 doubles on the racer.

You'll get it clear in your head after a while where you prefer riding them and always choose the right ones. Say, for me, the alps, big mountains and DH= bounce, trail centres/peaks/long days out = HT, short, fast, local blasts and blue routes = racer.

Personally I thought your HiFi was brilliant, and getting something like my Norco would be a great compliment to it.

batman11
    Free Member

Think im going to agree with some opinions here the difference betwen a 120/140 is only going to be minimal. I think im a beliver in a do it all bike my case a heckler and a hardtail or some such play bike, in my case just to let me know what it was like when i started this hobby back in the 90's. (New BeFe order'd this week for just such a reminder lol.)
    Think you should stick with the 140 bike for everything and get a nice hardtail play bike for the rest razzing, D?H etc just to get your skills dialed.
    Other than that just ride you can only ride one bike at a time after all!
    Bat.

mafiafish
    Free Member

mafiafish – were you at the FoD a couple of weeks ago on a white Prophet? If you were I was the bloke on the black one.

Yep that was me! Those DH trails are great, really nice set up there. Think I'm going to rp2 my prophet and service the forks and see if that brings the life back into it.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Think I'm going to rp2 my prophet and service the forks and see if that brings the life back into it.

That's got to be your best option surely? On paper, it should be better than the Fisher for most of the riding you do. And more than 140mm of travel is for girls, really.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘1 bike vs 2’ is closed to new replies.