Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 316 total)
  • You're Fatist!
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

We also do a lot less physical activity anyway – I think the health delusion book pointed out that we do the equivalent of a marathons (running not choc bar) less activity per week compared to those in the 70s.

Also apparently we also subconsciously associated fat people with disease.

Especially if they are really fat – all those germs festering under the rolls of fat.

I heard that on the radio, but not the bit about the rolls of fat – that’s my supposition…

molgrips
    Free Member

I had heard that food was less nutritious than it used to be, but because of nutrient-depleted soils rather than any nefarious plot.

molgrips
    Free Member

History tells us that when groups of people are forced to live on limited calorie intake and maintain active lives there are very soon no obese or even fat people left in the population whatever their genetics or illnessses.

How do they feel though? And how does their athletic performance vary?

MSP

Even so, you cannot be seriously telling me that an average snack from today (whatever that is, Greggs XL pasty or whatever) is less calorie dense than a snack from 50 years ago (apple or monster tomato or what have you)?

I am saying that a tomato today has more sugars and less nutrients that 50 years ago.

I had heard that food was less nutritious than it used to be, but because of nutrient-depleted soils rather than any nefarious plot.

It is more that they have been selectively bred to taste sweeter and look more colourful, force grown to be plumper, and treated to look fresher for longer. The growers/supermarkets haven’t set out to create produce that is deficient in nutrients, they just don’t care that it is the side effect of the qualities they do want.

oldboy
    Free Member

If people heed the advice it works. I suggest that if the deniers on this thread heeded the advice they would not be in the obese category of the body mass chart. History tells us that when groups of people are forced to live on limited calorie intake and maintain active lives there are very soon no obese or even fat people left in the population whatever their genetics or illnessses.

Exactly! For the deniers on here, try reading Stalingrad by Antony Beevor, or even his more recent The Second World War.

MSP

Is that when the German forces surrounded the Russian city and started shouting “oi fatty eat less and move more” thereby causing everyone in the city to lose weight and live happily ever after?

🙄

toys19
    Free Member

And they did airborne leaflet drops of hastily selected scientific journal articles that didn’t actually back up what the Germans believed, but the Ruski’s accepted their “evidence” prima facie without further critical thought, and all promptly dropped 10 kilo’s.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

At last, something positive about the Nazis – they helped people lose weight who otherwise wouldn’t have managed.

I think will all now know what the solution to obese Britain is don’t we ?

MSP

I think will all now know what the solution to obese Britain is don’t we ?

Yep, aids! rarely see a fat aids victim, the link is obvious to anyone who has watched Philadelphia!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Wow! Is this still going?

I lost interest three days ago.

Edukator
    Free Member

How do they feel though? And how does their athletic performance vary?

If the on form weight of endurance athletes is anything to go by peak, athletic performance is to be had in the middle to lower part of the “normal” body mass range even though the athletes are very lean. Below that performance goes down. Strength athletes clearly benefit from a few extra kilos though suffer if they try run very far.

As for how they feel, I’ve felt fine in the lower half of the normal range in Summer but in Winter feel cold and hungry so eat my way to the middle of the normal range.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I lost interest three days ago.

It hasn’t quite got the appeal of the Dogging and social ettiquette thread has it ?

Good troll nevertheless though 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I had almost forgotten that thread. Strangely, one of the guys on the Thursday night ride knows the lady in question. When he twigged who it was he said he would struggle to look her in the face at the school gates when collecting the kids

basstronic
    Free Member

😯

haggis1978

Im back! did you all miss me?? 😀 😈

I love how you’re all biting so hard at my comments. haha. Anyway i have in no way, shape or form a problem with working IN the oil and gas industry. Im merely explaining some of the realities behind it that some people might not be aware of so that they may possibly further understand where i am coming from.

This is a risky job that i do out here and i honestly love it. I actually get a kick out of knowing that not everyone can do it.

Out here we are hammered with safety safety safety. Yet some of the things oil companies do clearly bend the rules to suit themselves.

One of the reasons we have more fat people out here and partly why they did away with BMI testing in the offshore medical is due to an ageing workforce. They need people out here to do there work.

I know that this puts others and the fat folk themselves at risk.

The fatist in me gets pissed off with the fat folk out here when if one day i decide to have a cake after my dinner and the one i want isnt there and you look over the mess hall and see Bloater No1 that was squashing me on the helicopter sitting eating 2 bits of that cake with a load of custard. BECAUSE HE’S GREEDY AND NEEDS TO LAY OF THE PIES AND CAKES!!

Lets put it another way. There are kids in Africa cant even get a bowl of rice and we’re pumping how many millions into the NHS each year to try and help these fat folk when we could be putting more money to someone who is genuinely unable to help themself.

But of course im a selfish, bigoted individual who doesnt sponsor any children in these countries or have any standing orders out of my bank accounts to a variety of charities each month for decent sums of money. Yep im just raking in the cash from the oil industry, thats right. A few comments on an internet forum and you people know everything about me.

So dont pull the moral high ground bu77shit with me you bunch of clowns. Haggis has left the building so get it right up ye 😆 😈 😛

toys19
    Free Member

Wait a minute, wasn’t that the offshore hero, did he just pull up his skirt and flounce out the door?

Solo
    Free Member

Wait a minute, wasn’t that the offshore hero, did he just pull up his skirt and flounce out the door?

Not shore what was going on there, but that last post did make them sound competely bonkers. See what happens when chunky gets to the canteen first and steals your cake ? So there, let that be a lesson for us and hopefully the last we see of that nutter.

SD-253
    Free Member

n

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Fatness is not always due to over-eating. Again, some nasty comments on here.

People are fat because they eat to much relative to the amount of exercise they do. AND most fatties I know agree with that. Even my mate who just died from obesity (or the effects to be more precise) always admitted that was why he was fat. I am afraid the amount of calories people need nowadays is considerably less than they needed in the past. Further more the average person is eating less than they used to but not enough less.
    Clearly the food industry has to take some of the blame. I have always loved this example. Drink 250ml of orange juice with your breakfast, will it effect how much you eat for breakfast? In an experiment they gave children the equivalent in oranges which was 4 large oranges. None finished them and wanted breakfast. One child vomited before he could get to 4.
    I have been doing that 5:2 diet for about a year in fact I started the day I saw the programme on the BBC. Had been in hospital for 6 weeks, Nottingham hospital to be precise where the food is great followed by 6 weeks of home help force feeding me full Monty breakfast. It was months after that before I could cycle again (a necessity when the nearest shop is 6 miles away and only 1 bus a week). I will never again be able to walk any distance but the diet will keep my weight under control ie near perfect for my height. Needed as I have decided to increase my beer consumption significantly as new landlord has turned pub round near me and it is the moral duty of everyone in rural areas to help keep local amenities going!!

cinnamon_girl

Bollox ^

Solo
    Free Member

People are fat because they eat to much relative to the amount of exercise they do

Ah, the very distillation of ignorance. You gotta luv it.
    😕

toys19
    Free Member

Bollox indeed.

SD-253
    Free Member

.cinnamon_girl – Member
    Bollox ^

. Solo – Member
    People are fat because they eat to much relative to the amount of exercise they do

Ah, the very distillation of ignorance. You gotta luv it
    There has never been an experiment which shows this “People are fat because they eat to much relative to the amount of exercise they do” isn’t true. They constantly show this in television programmes. The ones you no doubt avoid watching. Abuse will not win you the argument in fact it will loose you the argument.
    Only a few fatties lie to themselves your not helping them by agreeing.

grum
    Free Member

People are fat because they eat to much relative to the amount of exercise they do. AND most fatties I know agree with that. Even my mate who just died from obesity (or the effects to be more precise) always admitted that was why he was fat.

Clearly that simple message really worked for him then. 😐

SD-253
    Free Member

.cinnamon_girl – Member
    Fatness is not always due to over-eating. Again, some nasty comments on here.

By the way what is it do with?
    A genetic change due to??
    A inability to convert fat into energy?
    And the oldest one of all BIG BONES.. the latter is killer!

toys19
    Free Member

SD-253 does eating fat make you fat then?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ignoring people who are fat because their parents overfeed them as a kid when they didn’t know any better…

You don’t suddenly get fat – it is a gradual process and if you are piling on weight that is disproportionate from what you are eating then you will have some warning of this and opportunity to do something about it before you get close to obese.

So whether or not it is a medical problem it will still be a conscious decision to let yourself get to a fat or obese state.

All you have to do is weigh yourself often, notice that you are putting on weight, recognize that it is because you are grazing/eating loads of sugary stuff/etc, or none of the above and you need to get to the doctor to work out what is wrong.

If you like eating sugary stuff/cakes/etc then you need to balance this with increased physical activity – it is not hard.

SD-253
    Free Member

grum – Member
    People are fat because they eat to much relative to the amount of exercise they do. AND most fatties I know agree with that. Even my mate who just died from obesity (or the effects to be more precise) always admitted that was why he was fat.
    Clearly that simple message really worked for him then.

Actually there is another reason.. he was a paranoid schizophrenic. Thought the social where following him everywhere they had listening devices in the wall, had cameras in his ceiling. They were 8 people working in shifts of 8 hours 24 hours a day. So didn’t go out a lot probably eat as a means ?? Died because he wouldn’t go to hospital because??? Basically a barmpot. Best mate from the age of five was in that same class all the way through school. No idea how he lost it. Saw the early stages but never realised where it was going.

Solo
    Free Member

They constantly show this in television programmes
    Oh, then it must be true.

Obesity is a symptom of a metabolic disorder now commonly refered to as “metabolic syndrome”.

Excess body fat occurs when the usual body fat regulatory systems are disfunctional at an Endocrine level.

According to how much energy your body partitions to storage, will directly influence how active you are. During experiments in the 40s and 50s, subjects on a calorie restricted diet exhibited signs of lethargy and a distinct lack of interest in doing any activity.

So people with a disfunctional endocrine system are unable to just get up and go, as there is insufficent energy available to them, to facilitate being active. Its a vicious circle.

Really, I just CBA.

Solo
    Free Member

By the way what is it do with?
    A genetic change due to??
    A inability to convert fat into energy?
    And the oldest one of all BIG BONES.. the latter is killer!

I wish Yeti was here.
    🙁

brakes
    Free Member

So people with a disfunctional endocrine system

but how common is that?

Solo
    Free Member

but how common is that?
    You’re not reading this thread, are you.

thejesmonddingo

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/metabolic-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx
    Apparently very common and caused by obesity and lack of exercise,not the other way round,or am I missing something?

brakes
    Free Member

sorry, I only read the last page.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So people with a disfunctional endocrine system are unable to just get up and go,

They seem to have enough get-up-and-go to get down to the local McDonalds or drive to the local Fish-and-Chips shop, from what I have seen.

So how come disfunctional endocrine systems are so common these days whereas they weren’t in previous decades – what has changed apart from eating habits?

What if you were to eat the same diet as people did in the 70’s – would you therefore not have a disfunctional endocrine system, as they didn’t seem to have that problem back then ?

Is it all down to Corn Syrup ?

toys19
    Free Member

what has changed apart from eating habits?

What we are sold as food- ie the stuff in the shops.

SD-253
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    SD-253 does eating fat make you fat then?

If you eat more of it than you need … Obviously. Bit of a stupid question.
    Pure carbohydrate 100grm 400 calories
    Pure protein 100grms 400 calories
    Pure fat 100grms 900 calories

Have to stop will get back if I remember. Will be a while as I have to put the trailer on my bike and cycle 12 miles to Lidl as they are holding a chainsaw for me. Will do a bit of shopping while I am at it might as well fill that trailer up! Tomorrow might go collect some wood in my trailer. Of course if I had car I would use that. Who would have thought that Epilepsy helps you keep your under control or put another way allows you to drink vast quantities of beer and eat loads of cake and not put on weight??

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You can prevent or reverse metabolic syndrome by making the following lifestyle changes:

losing weight
    getting active
    eating healthily to keep blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar levels under control
    stopping smoking
    cutting down on alcohol
    if necessary, take medication to control high blood sugar and cholesterol levels

Solo
    Free Member

am I missing something?
    Yes, its precisely the opposite.

Is it all down to Corn Syrup ?
    Not quite, but try researching the recent history of sugar consumption, per capita, in the west. You may discover a correlation between increasing sugar consumption per capita and the increase in obesity, which is just one of the symptoms of metabolic syndrome.
    Or don’t.
    🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What we are sold as food- ie the stuff in the shops

yes – they sell a lot more sugary/fatty stuff and weak willed people can therefore buy it more easily.

I am weak willed – I often buy stuff like butterscotch yum-yums from waitrose, etc, but I will counter by going for a run and monitoring my weight.

If I can’t go for a run, because I am injured or have a cold, then if I buy that butterscotch yum-yum then I do it in the full knowledge that I am going to put on weight if I don’t counter by eating less of something else.

slowoldman

So. Err… Why do people generally get fat? Why are so many more people getting fat?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 316 total)

The topic ‘You're Fatist!’ is closed to new replies.