Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Your Worst Tumble ?
  • makkag
    Free Member

after my thread yesterday with my swinley Owie im now sat here with mild concussion and brused hip and ribs and swolen knee. must have gone off at about 20 mph and according to my pals was a little lucky to ride away . i wanna hear your owie storys and put my wimpyness to shame !

ononeorange

End of a long muddy January ride in the Surrey Hills – descending quickly on the rough concrete road in Denbies vineyard to the car – onto the grass verge to avoid a family – didn’t realise there was a large lip to get back onto the road (covered in grass) – over the bars onto the concrete at around 30mph. Think I landed on my head – helmet was in two pieces – and slid for ever. Ambulance and back brace, two large pieces of concrete in my hand (one of which came out 3 months later after an operation) and most of my left side shredded.

I felt like crap for weeks but on the upside ended up with some impressive scars (reference to the earlier “Chicks dig scars” thread).

getonyourbike
    Free Member

While riding DH at Cwmcarn:
    Near the bottom of the track I sent the drop off the bridge a bit lot too far and didn’t have time to set for the massive berm (think, 8ft high). I lost control at the start of the berm and somehow went flying off, over the top of the berm and landed at the bottom of the other side… on my head. Cue aching neck and moderate concussion. I was pretty lucky really.

theflatboy
    Free Member

fractured skull. unconscious for 5 days. 32 staples. hospital for two weeks.

LeeW

In a race in 1998 I came off and nicked palmar artery in my right hand. I didn’t ride a bike in anger for several years after. I have a cracking scar from my wrist to the inside of the second knuckle of my little finger.

aftershock
    Free Member

Forest of Dean, took my eye of the track on a rapid descent for a moment, woke up in hospital with 2 broke ribs, fractured wrist, 30 stitches in my left forearm where I had severed the muscle and a fractured collar bone.

Oh the fun of DH lol.

commierider
    Free Member

Quick Friday summer evening blast in local woods, not paying attention, over the bars. Landed on my head and was unconscious for an unknown period. Rode home feeling ok but turns out I had concussion and something called transient global amnesia. Spent the night in casualty and couldn’t hold any info in my brain for 24hrs. Wife was pretty scared at the time as I kept repeating myself!

gee
    Free Member

Fast descent at D2D last year, went to pass someone and hit a hidden stump off the trail at full tilt hammering out of the saddle. Wheee…. Broken shoulder.

GB

makkag
    Free Member

and the next question has it stopped any of you pusshing too hard ? as i think i will be keeping both wheels quite close to the floor for a while now and start building up magain slowly !

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m still pushing but I’ve lost the urge to ride as much DH now, I’m riding fun XC stuff instead. It’ll come back soon enough on its own though.

theflatboy
    Free Member

no, because i don’t remember how i did it! except that i (almost) always wear a helmet ever since.

br
    Free Member

Broken wrist and hole in my leg (you could see my knee-cap) following my son (then 10) down DH3 at Aston Hill…, 4 nights in hospital, 2.5 hrs operation and I’ve still the metalwork in me.

And then last week over the bars at Innerleithen, still not learnt 😐

makkag
    Free Member

my bash hat saved me from something a lot more serious i think Completely cracked through & when i got up this morning there was a lump above my temple and mark from the impact .. i doubt i would be just sat here with a fuzzy head !

whytenosugar
    Free Member

OTB at Gisburn, going too fast with not enough skill! 😉 Run out of trail, helmet shattered, out cold for a couple of minutes with an egg sized bump to head, got some nice scars on my chin and top lip! Ended up with physio on my neck for a couple of months too! 🙄

gee
    Free Member

Not really, I’d done well to be racing for as long as I have without hurting myself so I knew it would happen eventually…

vikingboy
    Free Member

Hey Dean, it was me you were riding with yesterday when you crashed. Not surprised to hear you are feeling a bit rough this morning, it was a pretty quick smash, I would guess a bit quicker than 20mph though.
    Don’t let the crash affect your confidence, your basic technique was fine but next time wait until the bike lands before you try to turn the corner! if you had hit it with less speed you would have landed in time to settle the bike and get round the bend for the next jump. Drop me a Pm when you are heading over next time and I’ll show you some smaller stuff to build some confidence on.

Get some updated pics up too so we can see the bruising!

makkag
    Free Member

Hello pal, Im sure i will do it again, said to Adam i want to nail that set before summer on the way out ! just feeling a little tender and sorry for myself .. That would be great !If im feeling right may be around next saturday , so will pm you .. Change of Tires and Pads Perhaps may be a start !!!

Thats what my Ribs look like today Btw

edoverheels
    Free Member

Not quite sure exactly what happened thanks to concussion. Low fast jump and i remember being too far to the right. Came too with a broken pelvis. It seems that my knee hit a tree in the landing and pushed my femur backwards. Chipped the hip socket (fine and no problems) but broke my pelvis. Whole right side detached in an unstable pelvic fracture. Air ambulance and a month in hospital, big operation with plates and bolts etc and three months in a wheelchair. Sold my 224 and replaced it with a Blood. Stopped downhill racing and avoid high consequence stuff like long gaps and fast jumps with difficult or cluttered landings.
    Still love downhilling but try and ride ‘well’ rather than ‘fast’ (but do neither). Now ride every day (except when pi$$ing down like today). Cycling and swimming are fine but other sports like tennis and squash are now just for playing with my children because my adductors seem to no longer exist. Currently investigating whether they can be salvaged with physio or just be thankful for what I have.

Crell
    Free Member

Very low speed incident on a boardwalk.

Broke my ankle / leg in 4 places, rearward dislocation and torn ligaments.

Got back on the bike and rode out of the forest using 1 leg.
    Got in the car and drove for an hour (it’s an auto)
    Crawled from the car and had a cup of tea at home.
    Got taken in to hospital by the wife.
    Cue morphine, and a week in hospital before they could operate as it was so swollen.

MTFU 🙂

hazza123
    Free Member

(happened nearly 3 years ago) but first tabletop on the bigset at glentress, hit it too fast and didn’t know what happened really but didn’t think it was that bad, rolled up my shorts and there was a 2-3cm diameter hole in my knee where you could see muscle tissue/fat (maybe bone) resulted in only 3stitches and a big bandage for 3weeks. Had only been at glentress for 3/4 an hour too!

aftershock
    Free Member

No, slowed me for a bit then the adrenalin rush comes back, and now I’m quicker than before BUT now I make sure I’m 100% concentrating until I get off the bike safely (fingers crossed).

makkag
    Free Member

Crell Wins !!

skiboy
    Free Member

mine was on the monkey at Cannock at the end of one of the first parts, beautiful day, summer 2010.

came out the wood to a small run of steps where you cross the fire road then the stream, I was watching my mate crossing the bridge instead of watching where i was going and the second to last step had me clean over the bars down onto the rocks on the side using my chest as padding, i did a few rolls before coming to a stop, 1 broken finger, two broken ribs, loads of bruises and cuts.

bike was still rideable so i finished the rest of the monkey and FTD before being driven 100 miles home and packed off to the hospital.

hurt a bit but generally had a good day 😀

unlike this weekend, i crashed my sovereign friday practicing wheelies doing around £100 of damage and coming down pretty hard on my left side, ( i was actually seeing stars for around 3 mins). then this morning on my way to the woods on my heckler i lost the bike coming over a canal swing bridge, real surprise, coming down really hard on my right side and trashing my 2 week old short cage carbon XO rear mech…aghhhhh

both bikes in 48 hrs!!!!

theflatboy
    Free Member

makkag – Member

Crell Wins !!

i beg to differ.

Del.
    Free Member

Probably this one : http://www.pinkbike.com/video/206864/

( second crash at the very start ) nothing broken,but a fair few bruises to take home with me 🙂

makkag
    Free Member

well true , im having difficulty concentrating today & had to go back to the begining of the thread.. Crell’s Survival ride and drive impressed me !

theflatboy
    Free Member

to be fair, that is impressive indeed.

bol

I’ve still not got all my confidence back since breaking my shoulder nearly five years ago. Now I know what sort of impact an injury can have on family life I get off and push whenever I think I’m taking a risk. Bizarrely this means sometimes avoiding little things and being un phased by bigger ones. I’ve got used to being called a nancy, but that’s better than losing another summer. I still love my riding though, and ride much more than I did before my big off.

Haze

I once borrowed a light for our regular Thursday night ride, mine being repaired.

Handed it back at the end of the ride as I only had a mile or two to bimble home, taking in an unlit footpath running downhill behind a local church.

Laid off the brakes and built up a decent speed, forgot there was a bollard in the middle of the path at the very bottom.

Took a fair battering as a result, including a couple of cracked ribs and a Giro Xen which was pretty much split all the way up the back.

Managed to stagger the remaining 100 metres or so back to the flat. **** knows what state I’d have been in without my lid.

Bike was fine!

andytherocketeer

OTB on a road bike doing about 30 approaching a 90deg bend that was covered in sand. Dunno how. Must have done something to highside it rather than lay it down and get road rash.

8 stitches to chin, dented/chipped chin bone (can still feel the asymmetry now, 20yrs later, although it’s quite small and not really noticeable), and lots of raspberry jam.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Back in the day when we didnt wear helmets i hit a metal bar that was across the trail (didn’t see it due to sun/trees/shadows, etc. Unsure of exact speed but is was certainly >20mph, i was thrown down a rocky trail eventually landing on my back around 30ft from the bike….first thought was phew i’m alive then the pain happened…..straight to A&E. Diagnosis was a boken arm, cuts and bruises, put in plaster and told to return in a week when swelling had gone down. When i went back they also discovered i’d broken my wrist too (scaphoid) so this would need a different cast. To cut a long story short i spent over a year in plaster as my scaphoid bone ‘died’, had an operation to transplant bone from my hip into the wrist, fortunately this worked 🙂

40mpg

This one:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFHw_dHM_YY[/video]

Spilt a whole pint of cider, and got laughed at by the kids, the shame!

matt_outandabout

Worst (potential) was having an over the bars moment at Rivelin, cheeky time heading back from the ‘Headstone’, but the OTB also meant over a small rock/cliff. I basically somehow managed to land ish on feet, bounce a couple of times, slide headfirst and then use self arrest technique from snow to roll, spin and slow before hitting a tree…I must have gone 30-40m on a slope I could not climb back up…

Alex

Crikey there’s been some carnage in this thread. I ripped my knee open on a Chiltern flint while chasing a mate on a very off camber trail. 4days in hospital, general to get it fixed, absolutely blew my confidence for years.. until I was Jedi’d 🙂

It did make a couple of good articles tho: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=156

kimbers

megavalanche few years back

theres a wooden laddery drop bit, quite steep
    (think its on the qulaifier, runs under the lift and is a bit of a bottleneck if you know the race)
    first run hit it too fast, but like a numpty grabbed a load of front brake nose dive + over damped forks = im flying OTB down a steep rocky mountainside,just managed to grab a handfull of ski netting and stop my tumble as i landed on my head and shoulder,
    im confident that my helmet and body armour saved me, still left me with a damaged rotator cuff that took 18months to heal

oh and the bike ended up a fair way down and was a pita to get back!

PePPeR

I’m like Bol, I broke the side of my humerous off in 2001, and the impact it caused on our family life made it too complicated to do the same again!

I do have to remind myself of this when in a bunch and we start off down a nice inviting downhill!

It’s very frustrating to realise that I have to be a grown up!

donsimon
    Free Member

I got knocked off 2km into a 50km race resulting in a broken thumb and various nasty cuts and bruises, got back on to finish the race, somewhere in the top 30% of GC if I remember.
    Another was a 30mph tumble on the road which threw me down the road resulting in this damage to the bike.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/think180/3217750376/
    Went home, changed bikes, went for a teo hour ride. I was stiff as buggery the next day, mind.
    MTFU. 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

After 12 years of various cosmetic knocks, scapes cuts and grazes I did this last September:

Excuse the pirate face.

Unconscious for a few minutes, blood everywhere from two head lacerations. Smashed in helmet and a couple of K damage to the bike. I rag-dolled down the trail about 20-25ft.

Walked off the hill not really knowing where I was and 6 stiches later I was home at 4 in the morning. Family were saying I was pretty out of it for about a week before I became more normal.

I thought I got away with just the cosmetic stuff, but its since become apparent in my job that I’m more irritable, struggle with loud noise and have an appalling short term memory – all symptoms of a minor brain injury. All in, I think I was pretty lucky.

motox2k
    Free Member

Fractured skull, broken wrist, died on route to hospital in ambulance (was resuscitated obviously) was in hospital for 5 days and I still (10 years ago) cannot remember a thing.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Most dramatic was a run in with a car on Thursday which trashed the bike, had me landing on the car roof then sliding off again, and drew crowds of worried observers. But physically I’ve got away from it with a mild head injury and bruising, didn’t even go to hospital (although I have seen a gp since).

Most painful and embarrassing was the time I crashed on the 200m stretch of road between the car park and the trail, breaking a couple of ribs and buggering up my shoulder. No reason for it really, smooth road, car sitting behind me patiently waiting for room to overtake, but I was looking out for the turn and trying to brake and indicate all at the same time and just lost it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Your Worst Tumble ?’ is closed to new replies.