Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • your one bike upgrade
  • rep341
    Free Member

I have a whyte t129
    I have about 1 upgrade worth of man cash hidden from wife

Do I go dropper seat post or wheels?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dropper Post simple.

fin25
    Free Member

Wheels, lighter wheels make a huge difference, especially on a 29er. Much as it’s nice having a dropper post, you’ll be much happier in the long run upgrading the wheels.

Northwind

Dropper post for me, I love light wheels but a dropper makes more difference to me. Depends a bit on how you use the bike.

theredsnapper
    Free Member

Wheels…I dropped a kilo going for some hope hoops and tubeless…that’s a lot of rolling mass and instantly noticeable!

Red

timidwheeler

Dropper.

scaled
    Free Member

Dropper, 100%

You can always justify new wheels if you break your current ones, a dropper is one of those things that seems like an extravagance until you’ve got one!

rep341
    Free Member

Anyone know what the weight of the whyte wheels are. (Lazy I know) but does save me taking discs tyres cassette off if I do go for dropper instead

JoeG
    Free Member

Dropper +1

And a dropper is a lot less than a good set of wheels! Get the dropper now and the wheels when they “break” in the future. 😉

AlexSimon

Nothing has made as much a difference to my riding skill and enjoyment as a dropper post.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Dropper post, nothing comes close.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What AlexSimon said. My dropper hasn’t changed what I ride but has upped the enjoyment and speed levels. Best thing I bought for the main bike and will be getting on for the rigid SS too…

weeksy

I own a dropper, however only fit it for 5% of my rides.. I find it 99% useless to be honest. I didn’t get the dropper hype before I bought one, I don’t get it now.

mattbee

Well sell it on man, let someone else have fun with it!
    Personally I was in the cynical camp but having had droppers for the last 2 years I would rather give up suspension.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Dropper and tubeless convert the wheels tubeless can be done for less than £20

weeksy

As it’s a 100mm drop KSi900 it’s not really worth enough for me to sell it. It seems it’s worth about £60-80, which isn’t a figure I actually need, so I keep it for the rare occasion when I do want/need a dropper.

timmys

Depends on your budget really but dropper probably. £175 will get you a Reverb but £175 won’t get you much in terms of wheels!

Candodavid
    Free Member

QR for the seatpost, and spunk the money on good wheels, start saving again for a dropper after

bikeneil
    Free Member

I agree with weeksy. For 5% of a ride my dropper was good but for the rest wasn’t needed. I’ve gone back to a normal post now.

So I’d upgrade to some tubeless wheels.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like both…

The dropper for me just makes things easier especially if your a serial post dropper like I was. I was always stopping and faffing with my post height because I hate riding fun stuff with my saddle up. Using my a Reverb had become second nature now and it’s been flawless for the best part of 18 months. I do take it off for uplift days though because I’m paranoid of killing the lever.

But lighter wheels do make the bike feel better to ride everywhere.

However wheels are easy to justify, a posh dropper post isn’t. If you drop your post a lot and have so e cash stashed away I’d get the dropper first.

warpcow
    Free Member

What someone else said: dropper and then tubeless the wheels for now.

creamegg
    Free Member

You’ve got wheels already, they’re round, they spin, they work. Get a dropper, one of the best components on my bikes. Some people may not see the benefit but that’s down to the type of riding and trails. Everyone I know who has one doesn’t know how they managed before and all think why the hell did they resist getting one for so long and faffing all the time raising and lowering the seatpost manually.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You can always justify new wheels if you break your current ones, a dropper is one of those things that seems like an extravagance until you’ve got one!

Well put

tomhoward

I’d take a dropper over suspension, let alone wheels.

Plus I use it more than I did my old front shifter/mech

transition1
    Free Member

It does depend on what type of riding you do. If you prefer riding uphill & flat/XC blasting then wheels would be more beneficial. If on the other hand you prefer blasting down steep technical terrain then a dropper post would be more suitable.

chiefgrooveguru

If on the other hand you prefer blasting down steep technical terrain then a dropper post would be more suitable.

Or just riding around any corner at full speed. The more undulating the singletrack, the more useful a dropper is. I know I’m in a minority but I’d find it really annoying to have a dropper post remote so fragile that I’d want to take it off for uplift days – Gravity Dropper FTW!

tomd
    Free Member

It does depend on what type of riding you do. If you prefer riding uphill & flat/XC blasting then wheels would be more beneficial. If on the other hand you prefer blasting down steep technical terrain then a dropper post would be more suitable.

This makes a lot of sense.

Northwind

Re the wheels… This sounds like nerdy weightweenyism but have you ever weighed the tyres and tubes? You can sometimes, with OEM, get as much benefit as you’d expect from a wheel swap, just by replacing an overweight standard component. I found 350g of inner tube per end in one bike.

scandal42
    Free Member

D
    R
    O
    P
    P
    E
    R

mcnultycop

Tyres if you haven’t, then dropper, then wheels.

tomaso
    Free Member

Colour co-ordinated aluminium bolt set is the obvious answer :mrgreen:

fathomer

Dropper 🙂

honourablegeorge

Buy new wheels, sell old wheels, put old wheel money towards dropper.

Sorted.

maxtorque

DROPPER!

When i see a (rare) MTB these days without one, it looks like something is missing….

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Which gives you the most issues at the moment?
    1. Having to keep stopping to drop your seat
    or
    2. Repeated pinchflatting, snapping spokes and bending rims

I had both issues. If I could only solve one, it’d have been the wheels (tubeless)

julians
    Free Member

Depends howmuch lightef the new wheels would be compared to the old, and whether that weight saving is in the rim or the hub. If its a significant weight saving(say half a lb per wheel) at the rim then go for wheels, else go for dropper.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m an old fashioned luddite but I wouldn’t be without my dropper, I use it loads on every ride but then again I use my wheels more.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘your one bike upgrade’ is closed to new replies.