Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Your nominations for the worst piece of design please.
  • Harry_the_Spider

I would like to offer the GU10 light fitting.

Why not use a simple screw or bayonet when you can have one of these fiddly buggers?

bearnecessities

Although not manufacturing, this one still makes me laugh…

(Office of Government Commerce)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Anything prefixed by ‘Crank Brothers’.
    Putting blurk bits on the outside.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Clear **** plastic **** melted **** together **** packaging.

highclimber
    Free Member

Halfords Apollo bikes.

brant
    Free Member

Most of the final year projects from BEng Mech Eng Hons (design) from Huddersfield Poly?

Harry_the_Spider

Most of the final year projects from BEng Mech Eng Hons (design) from Huddersfield Poly?

Good one! I actually found mine a couple of months back. 132 pages of tripe. How the hell that passed I have no idea.

TooTall
    Free Member

Rumour always was that they were working on the next OnOne frames 😆

Doors that can only be pushed with pull handles on them. Doors that can only be pulled with push plates on them. Fridge doors in newsagents and corner shops that require a sticker to show you which side of the door the handle is on because they have hidden it and removed any chance of being able to just use A DOOR! 👿

somafunk

Any shimano product packaging, my fellow bike shop workers will sympathise with me on this one.

For a “supposedly” green company who produce the vast majority of the worlds cycle components to enclose the simplest of products with so much convoluted over-designed cardboard and plastic packaging really boils my piss every time i fit components to bikes, in fact i have been known to go into such a rage that i jump up and down on the aforementioned packaging whilst uttering incoherent swear words.

I’ve even fired off a few emails to shimano but obviously they’ve never experienced the sort of incoherent rant that a short arsed hairy scotsman can fire off in a matter of seconds, my balls to the wire/strava-esque kom typing speed surprises me so it’s no great surprise that i have not received any reply as of yet.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I understand the above after fitting a full shimano groupset/brakes to my bike. There was what can only be discribed as a S**T load of packaging left over.

JCL
    Free Member

Sram XO 2×10 chain guide. Never seen anyone get more than a month out of one before the lower guide explodes.

spacecadett
    Free Member

Kitchen utensils from Joseph. Absolutely useless. The handles are much heavier than the business end of each utensil so as soon as you leave one in a pan, they flip over causing good to fly everywhere. They are simply not fit for purpose.

These….http://www.josephjoseph.com/product/elevate-carousel-tool-set

Edric64
    Free Member

Chernobyl ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Much like Bravissimo, I’d nominate anything using the words ‘new easy opening packaging’ or similar.

Oh, and the old Cathay Pacific herringbone seating layout. Awful!

athgray
    Free Member

Those tins of tuna with the foil lid. Makes it far harder to squeeze out the brine.

unovolo
    Free Member

Those packets that say ‘Tear here’ ,they never bloody work.

unknown
    Free Member

The £1billion Edinburgh tram [strike]network[/strike] half a line.

Swelper
    Free Member

redstripe
    Free Member

anything from the 1970’s, mainly clothes and haircuts (well until punk started)

spooky_b329

Kitchen utensils from Joseph. Absolutely useless. The handles are much heavier than the business end of each utensil so as soon as you leave one in a pan, they flip over causing good to fly everywhere. They are simply not fit for purpose.

The idea is you don’t need to leave them in the pan, as the weighted handle stops your bolognese covered utensil from making a mess of the worktop. However, the stupid hangy thing is infuriating as everything drops off when you look at it…

retro83
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    Chernobyl ?

User error, even though the reactor design was flawed (positive void coefficient), the explosion was 100% down to the operators.

matt_outandabout

bencooper
    Free Member

The plastic easy-peel lids on things which are welded on stronger than steel – the handy pull-tab is just there to fool you, pull it and nothing happens, and the only way to get in is to use a sharp knife.

Apart from occasionally, when the glue suddenly let’s go and everything flies all over the kitchen.

cbike
    Free Member

Dyson Vacuum cleaners.

Too heavy, too much plastic, doesnt fit under furniture, still needs filters cleaned (and they take 24 hours to dry) you get to look at all the crap from your carpets, they fall over when you use the hose…I can go on…

nealglover
    Free Member

You have ever so slightly missed the whole point of the design then ? 😉

nicko74

Much like Bravissimo, I’d nominate anything using the words ‘new easy opening packaging’ or similar.

er… Bravissimo stuff comes with “easy opening” on it? Bonus! 😉

Those packets of ham that say “peel here”. You follow the instructions, and end up with a still-sealed pack of ham in one hand, and a complete label from the front of said pack in the other hand…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The corned beef tin: Finger amputation garaunteed upon opening.

Gary_M
    Free Member

USB cables in particular the end that plugs into the PC/charger.

slugwash
    Free Member

Please step forwards the Vauxhall Zafira handbrake lever (55 plate onwards). It resembles a clip together mystery object that tumbled out of the middle of a Kinder Egg, but is only half as sturdy.

It was a real pleasure when mine shattered into three pieces at the local tyre fitters leaving me stuck between three fairly close walls with the handbrake jammed on ten minutes before the place closed and just before a 200 mile drive to Gatwick for a much needed family holiday 😥

(apologies for long sentences & sarcasm)

banks
    Free Member

GXP BB’s.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

downshep

Topeak Defender front mudguard. Takes some skin off your fingertip when you remove it.

Spent months working next to this monstrosity being built – still not sure what it’s meant to be…

munkyboy
    Free Member

+1 dyson anything. Over designed and a bit silly

Crank brothers, less time should be spent on the packaging and ‘design’

That oversized mini, Vauxhall adam, Nissan juke all make me snigger when I see them

Revit, if you use it you will know

garage-dweller

I cannot believe no-one has nominated virtually every piece of UK cycling “infrastructure”.

I declare me the winner, although the nomination of the op was a good effort.

neilthewheel

There must be millions of these feckers in service and every last one of them dribbles tea all over the table. I mean, why??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I mean, why??

Do you perhaps mean, “Why do I go to places that use these things?”

😉

rickmeister

The hard plastic packaging surrounding memory sticks and stuff.. supposed to be in store theif proof but needs industrial strength machinery to open without looking pints of blood after slicing fingers open.

I usually fail to get my purchases after attacks with scissors, knives etc etc

tiggs121
    Free Member

john_drummer
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Your nominations for the worst piece of design please.’ is closed to new replies.