Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Your next big holiday
  • fasthaggis

With UK tourism set to get a proper kicking, how do folk feel about racing off to the sun next year (or sooner) during the depression recession . Are you planning lots of staycations or booking to jet off as soon as possible?

matt_outandabout

To get?

It’s got.

fasthaggis

Aye Matt,but the real pain hasn’t arrived yet.
    Personally ,we are looking at motorhome hire (from a friend) for this summer and see what happens for next year.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The sun? If last years week in Holland was much to go by, 2021’s return won’t see an awful lot of sun, but then it’s way down the list of reasons we go.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Who is going to carry the risk associated with booking an expensive holiday going forward? If there’s a risk of a second wave, more lock down restrictions and travel bans, who foots the bill?

I’m reluctant to book anything if it’s my money likely to go down the pan. Insurance has been pretty crap this time, I don’t see that getting better. No one involved in the process will be willing to carry the can next time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my folks live in france , they have not seen their granddaughter since christmas , they have had to cancel a trip over for a family wedding and a subsequent pre season 5 week trip home.

We have had to cancel going over there also.

We may take a trip out there.

I will get away on camping or camper van hols possibly but only if its not chaos…. holidays are to be relaxing – im not fighting with every tom dick and harry – will just stay at home in that case. Homes not actually that bad.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Mostly done the world travel thing to death.
    Will be visiting the UK and Irish places I like a bit more plus some I’ve never seen.
    And as most of my global travel has been coastal and desert for hobby/work reasons I’ll do some mountains when/if I eventually do travel further afield.

fathomer

This years trip to the Alps is hopefully being moved to next year and as it’ll be my 40th we might have another week abroad around that. We also have 4-5 long weekends away in the UK most years so hopefully we might have a couple of those this year.

Contemplating booking some self catering accommodation in the Lakes in place of the Alps trip in July but not sure we’ll be allowed to go.

doomanic

Next year’s plan was to forego holidays in favour of a bathroom refit. If SleasyJet cancel my July 14th flights to Cyprus I’ll see about doing it this year instead. Assuming I can get my money back, still haven’t had my refund from Ryanair flights cancelled in early May. The cheeky sods have sent a voucher despite me requesting a refund.

matt_outandabout

I’m with onzadog.

We’ve lost about £900 and arguing with Air Transat for a refund of £2.2k over our Canada trip, the insurance had changed wording the day before we took it out in January.

I’m not going there again until we’re confident things will work out. I’ve no idea what the autumn and winter will bring, let alone spring and summer 2021.

toby1

Ideally we’d be going to France and touring the Loire valley in September, in reality this isn’t looking viable (wife’s work are saying 2 weeks of holiday after any holiday out of the UK). So she’s now talking about Cornwall which I expect to be a world of pain with everyone else also not travelling out of the UK this year, so even if we do get a holiday this year I have very low expectations.

v7fmp

next big holiday is Croatia in August. Airbnb host wont cancel or change the dates. Easyjet are still flying. So off we go!

hoping for a last minute Alps biking trip in the next 8 weeks or so if possible too!

ayjaydoubleyou

Looking to spend my disposable income on experience/services rather than things – even moreso than I do already – to do my small part in kickstarting the tourism industry.

How that plays out in practise I don’t know.

fasthaggis

Will be visiting the UK and Irish places I like a bit more plus some I’ve never seen.

This is our thinking, recently got back in to motorbiking so that’s another option.
    It’s one of the things I have been thinking a lot about over lockdown. It just doesn’t feel right (for me) to be heading off abroad while a lot of the businesses that survive here are going to need all the help they can get.

freeagent
    Free Member

We had two weeks in Lake Garda booked for August this year – road-trip from the UK with a couple of nights in Switzerland on the way down (visit to CERN) and a stop off in France on the way back.

We had many discussions about it and just decided it was a long way to go/lot of money to spend to find everything we planned to do (opera in Verona/visit to Venice/etc) was either going to be cancelled or crap due to various restrictions so we’ve moved the booking to the same two weeks next year.

We’ve got access to house in South Wales in Aug so might go down there for a week, but other than that won’t be going anywhere before Garda in Aug-21.
    I honestly don’t feel right about a holiday this summer and don’t really understand peoples insistence that they must get away at the earliest opportunity.

timidwheeler

Still hoping that our two weeks in the Alps will be possible at the beginning of July. We will drive over in the campervan so fairly low risk. Nothing actually booked at the moment so we will play it by ear.
    From the noises coming out of most of the UK national parks we will be far more welcome in the Alps than the Lake District.

ads678

My sister has a house in the Pyrenees so driving down there is always an option for us. maybe with a week camping in Spain. We’re supposed to be going there in August but we’ll see….

NZCol

We’ve got a motorhome so will be using that as much as we can. Had planned a trip to France this year in it but will see what next year holds.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Camper van purchase is looming closer 🙂

kilo

We’ll be over to our place in Ireland when practicable and will try and get over as much as possible through autumn and winter. Canada probably next year, mainly because our flights have rolled over from this years aborted trip. We were planning a long multi-month holiday in 2021 but this may bite the dust and try and get to a couple of the places we fancied (mainly Japan). Not really planning any staycations.

ta11pau1

Lots of UK MTB trips.

I’ve missed out on a long weekend in the west country, a weekend up snowdonia, and another few days in wales.

Got 2 weeks in the tweed valley/aviemore booked for late september, west country weekend in august and a lake district trip in September, plus plans for Wales, peak district and more.

I might look at a week in Spain in Jan/Feb depending how bad a winter we have and what the situation is like for overseas trips by then.

Tracey

Ours for next week to Lake Garda and the Alps has been cancelled until next year
    Next one is in September to Sospel, San Remo and Finale to tie it in to the EWS event. Still got my fingers crossed for that.
    Will probably spend some time in the UK with the camper, over and above what we normally do.
    Youngest daughter is still convinced she is going to spend the Summer in the Alps now her Whistler summer has fallen through. She spent most of yesterday trying to put the trip together.

fasthaggis

I honestly don’t feel right about a holiday this summer and don’t really understand peoples insistence that they must get away at the earliest opportunity.

This was partly my thinking, just wondered how others might feel about rushing off abroad while things are going to be so hard for a lot of places in the UK. It also feels like this is a great opportunity for a lot of tourist spots to up their game and deliver a far better service.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Anyway, fears of economic Armageddon aside…

We postponed our week in Eurocamp at the end of July… it was as much about using the money on the house as much as Covid travel fears. We’re going to book at weekend in Bluestone for Sept, accepting there will likely be some Social Distancing still in place then.

Instead of a week in France in ‘21 we’re going for 2. A few days in Eurocamp near Paris to visit Mickey and maybe the City, then down to Morzine for a week activities and such, stopping for a few days in another Eurocamp on the way back.

Johnson seems keen to try to save some of the summer for U.K. tourism and the longer this argument about quarantine goes on the more U.K. places will be booked.

I’ve recently bought a tent, and despite the fact I **** hate camping, I’ll be heading up North Wales for a bit when regs allow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Camper van purchase is looming closer 🙂

given that prices have sky rocketed its tempting to flog mine…. its at the right end of the market 😀

BillOddie

We were incredibly lucky to have a nice big holiday in Florida in February so that was us done for the year anyway.

We’re looking at the Alps (probably Tignes) for next year but going to wait a while before booking ANYTHING. Aside from that it’ll be the odd weekend away in the Campervan and trips down to South Wales to the family.

oldtennisshoes

Our Alps / Northern Spain summer trip has been cancelled. I’ve booked the last week in July for Islay, but even that might be under threat if things don’t open up more.
    I think the 2m distancing restriction will go in the next couple of weeks – reduced to 1m. If it does, that increases the chances of cafes, bars and restaurants opening up, which will make a holiday more appealing.

Creg

Hoping to get some touring done in the UK, maybe the Caledonian Way later this year if restrictions allow.

Next Spring, if I can afford it (hospitality worker here so its unlikely), maybe do the trip I had planned for this year which entailed packing a bag of clothes and travelling Europe by train. No particular plan in mind, just go wherever I feel like it.

ayjaydoubleyou

This was partly my thinking, just wondered how others might feel about rushing off abroad while things are going to be so hard for a lot of places in the UK.

Its wrong to generalise based on the words/actions of a few but the recent “locals only” attitiudes of the national parks and Cornwall means I’d rather give my money to the French/Spanish/Greeks right now.

Yes it will be circulating money in the UK economy rather than exporting it, but I dont subscribe to the idea that they are more deserving purely by virtue of being British, compared to our European neighbours.

phil5556

We were supposed to be heading to either Holland kitesurfing, French Alps biking or Ireland doing a bit of both at the end of August in the camper.

There’s a good chance we’ll just sack everything off apart from the odd few nights away locally(ish) and use the time to build a new camper. New van was the plan over winter but might start it sooner instead.

Turns out home has actually been quite nice.

ElShalimo

We were planning on 2 weeks in France, walking, riding, eating, drinking etc. staying in campsites & aires in the van.

If we can’t do that we’ll go to NW Highlands in the campervan.

5lab

still hoping that whistler at the end of august might work out. Got nothing booked and won’t be booking anything more than a week in advance, I recon its 50:50 as to whether I get there or not

doris5000

We’ve lost about £900 and arguing with Air Transat for a refund of £2.2k over our Canada trip, the insurance had changed wording the day before we took it out in January.

ooh, let us know how you get on.

We were supposed to be in Canda right now, and are also about £2K in the red on it. The two companies we’re dealing with (Air Transat and WestJet) have given us vouchers valid for 18 months or so. In theory we’re happy enough with that, we don’t mind just putting the whole thing back 12 months, it’s sunk cash anyway.

But…. are those companies still going to exist in 12 months? If we do re-book for next year, and Coronavirus is still kicking around, will that screw our insurance because it’s a ‘pre-existing condition’ or whatever?

These questions aren’t really directed at you Matt, I’m just fretting out loud….

jimdubleyou

I have 2.5 weeks booked off work for August. We were thinking about heading to California but hadn’t booked anything.

I can’t see us going anywhere until there’s an effective treatment, or a vaccine.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Just in the process of buying another big camper. Had to sell our other a few years ago to get some capital to buy our business property. The plan is to head south in July in it and see where we can get. It seems almost all of Germany is heading to the Baltic Sea so we are hoping Austria and North Italy will be emptyish.

joepud
    Free Member

Gotta be honest if possible im going to be going on holiday this year. Me and my partner are hoping to visit Istanbul this year and then somewhere hot around Feb time (thailand or something similar). Im not putting my life on hold waiting for a vaccine that may never come. We will likely book something with free cancellation and the same with flights. We haven’t looked at specifics yet but we are both of the opinion get busy living or get busying dying.

ThePinkster

Stopping in the UK and making as much use of the caravan as possible.
    Already booked into a couple of sites next year so fingers crossed there won’t be any resurgence of the dreaded lurgy.

We’ve got a pitch booked on a C&MC site in Scotland at the end of July this year, just hoping that will go ahead (C&MC are hoping to get some of their Scottish sites open from the 15th July). Got a week booked in Wales in October too (we’re quite hardy folks 😉 ) so looking forward to them first if they happen.

white101

Reads thread

Looks out window at T25 camper sat on drive

Checks bank balance

Reaches for For Sale sign

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its wrong to generalise based on the words/actions of a few but the recent “locals only” attitiudes of the national parks and Cornwall means I’d rather give my money to the French/Spanish/Greeks right now.

Are you living in a Chinese pipe ?

It’s been locals only for everyone not just the attitude of Cornwall et all…. It’s the right attitude at the time im afraid. What an wierd grudge to hold

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m planning a tour of Primarks, McDonalds drive-thrus and DIY stores of the UK.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Your next big holiday’ is closed to new replies.