Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Your favourite British rider(s)
  • SaxonRider

Any of the BC disciplines: Road/Track/MTB/CX
    Any reason: skill/accomplishment/personality/whatever
    Any category: up-and-coming/senior/whatever (as long as they are competing)

For me there are a quite a few, but if pressed to narrow it down, it would have to be

Laura Kenny – because anyone who can go from giving birth to winning on the track within a few months has to be incredible. I watched her races at the world cup in Toronto, and thought she looked like an absolute powerhouse. On top of that, she seems to have a lovely, bubbly personality.

Luke Rowe – because when he used to write for Cycling Weekly, he came across as a fundamentally decent, fun-loving sort of guy. He also loves ice hockey, he’s Welsh, and I tend to like the strong, unsung domestique-type riders. He’s not really an underdog, but he obviously gets less notice than his compatriot GT.

Over to you.

geex
    Free Member

BC? Sorry BC can **** off now the CRC discount is rubbish.

Jimmy Pratt

If I had to say any PED infused BC/UCI competitor. Sean Yates. Mainly because of being bad ass enough to pull off that ear ring and short shorts

kayak23

Jimmy Pratt a good shout. Otherwise, Sam Pilgrim.

Just an awesome rider and a genuinely nice and funny geezer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Graeme Obree.

Sadly, I can see him out n about locally, a genuine world class sportsman, and yer average Joe will walk past not even knowing who he is….

lunge

Agree with Laura Trott and Luke Rowe.
    I like Adam Blyth, for the same reason as I like the French, he’s just arrogant enough to be fun without being a dick.
    Dan Martin too, a fellow Brummie and a fine rider to boot.

geex
    Free Member

Sadly, I can see him out n about locally, a genuine man, and yer average Joe will walk past not even knowing who he is….

Graeme says the same about you Nobeer

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 Laura Kenny for her relentless drive, upbeat personality and down-to-earth attitude (and she’s my hometown hero)

T-Mo for being such a fine ambassador for MTBing.

Geraint for his sense of humour and laidback attitude.

lunge

If we’re doing retired as well, Chris Hoy and Steve Peat are the 2 that spring to mind, Sarah Storey too (is she retired?)

SaxonRider

Dan Martin too, a fellow Brummie and a fine rider to boot.

But he’s not BC is he? He cast his lot with the Irish…

Having said that, I can’t help but like him; but he also intimidates me. He doesn’t seem the type of guy to suffer fools gladly, and so I can imagine getting dismissed from his company pretty quickly if we ever met at a pub!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Akrigg , T-Mo, Mark Webb

colournoise

Chris Akrigg. Just such a good rider.
    G (road G, not robot MTB G). Proper attitude.
    Both Kennys. Definition of grit and commitment.
    Cav. For the heart on his sleeve.

dovebiker

Chris Boardman and his coach Peter Keen – dragged British Cycling out of the dark ages and laid the foundation for the World Class Performance plan.

Graeme Obree for being such an innovator and maverick

Chris Hoy for being such a talisman and figurehead for the sport – and apparently an absolute monster in training.

Geraint for getting his rewards after many years in the school of hard knocks.

kilo

Rachel Atherton- class above everyone else, Laura Trott on the track and for the road Lizzie Deignan – always seems to be giving it her best shot. Helen Wyman on cx, at the top level for some time and comes across as a really nice person

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂 thanks geex 😂

chiefgrooveguru

Chris Akrigg. There are lots of great British downhillers, track cyclists and road cyclists but there’s only one Akrigg!

Akers

Rachel Atherton – a class apart from the rest of the field.

Bernard Kerr – bags of style

Katie Winton – for flying the flag for the UK in EWS

chakaping
    Free Member

Chris Boardman and his coach Peter Keen – dragged British Cycling out of the dark ages and laid the foundation for the World Class Performance plan.

And more importantly for CB’s shift into advocacy. The nearest thing we have to a patron saint.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Tim Gould is sound great rider.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Jason McRoy. (as long as deceased people are included)
    Chris Akrigg.

akira

Tim Gould and Nick Craig, Tim because he changed the way people raced and Nick because he’s the nicest man in the world and blisteringly fast.

transporter13
    Free Member

Akrigg.. Can do it all

robowns
    Free Member

Akrigg

ton

beryl burton. needs no explanation.
    nick craig. to stay ggod so long and through one of lifes biggest upsets.
    george berwick. proper hard nails old bastard.

sirromj

Jack Carthy, Ali Clarkson, Chris Akrigg, Sam Pilgrim.

jonba
    Free Member

Up and coming talents the North East

Thomas Mein
    https://www.facebook.com/thomas.mein.cx/

Anna Kay
    http://storeyracing.cc/anna-kay/

Kuco

Annie Last, Evie Richards

dirkpitt74

Tahnee Seagrave, Danny Hart & Sam Pilgrim.

duncancallum

I’ve a lot of admiration for Martyn Ashton. There isn’t a lot to be
    Said against him

And whilst I admire the Athertons I’m not a fan. I think the dudes of hazzard and both Hannah n joe Barnes are fantastic ambassadors

timbog160

Josh Bryceland and Phil Atwill – no contest!! 😂

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Plus one Annie Last

bikecurious
    Free Member

I’m a bit (a lot) in love with Katy Winton. Listening to her on the downtime podcast and she seems pretty cool. Interesting perspective having come from pure xc. Helps that she’s cute as hell of course. That picture from the EWS this year when she had a flat and got helped in the transition by Ravanel was awesome. The size difference between them was crazy.

iainc

Katie Archibald – proper down to earth, great laugh, hugely talented.

SaxonRider

@ianc, good call on Katie Archibald. I love her pieces for CW. She’s witty, self-deprecating, and smart. That’s on top of being a great rider.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

T Mo, world clas in every respect. Rode xc to make sure the UK had places for riders in the XC for London 2012.

poah
    Free Member

none.

ajantom

Chris Akrigg. A rider’s rider – he makes it look clean and fun, but not so out of reach that it’s impossible…..though most of it Is for us mere cycling mortals.

plus-one

Graeme obree

scc999

Some great shouts so far.

For me T-Mo and Katy Winton both have to be in there. Both so positive and encouraging of other riders, seem to genuinely enjoy what they do and don’t mind showing it.
    Brendog hasn’t had a mention yet (that I can see) – again, just seems to enjoy what he does and is so talented. Also, doesn’t come across like a dick unlike some other great riders.
    Danny Mac has to be there too.

But if I had to pick one? Martyn Ashton.

stewartc
    Free Member

Actually met Phil Atwill at the recent Chiang Mai Enduro and he came across as a real nice guy, taking time to talk to everyone who came up to him and being a generally approachable guy to all the awe struck local young riders. Not a bad rider either and likes a beer so hes no.1 in my book. I think he is the only pro British rider I have met in the flesh so cant comment on others but I like the cut of Danny Harts jib for his sense of humor alone.

mooman
    Free Member

Geraint for getting his rewards after many years in the school of hard knocks.

For someone who has been part of BC cycling development squads since his early teens I dont think he really went anywhere near the school of hard knocks .. he has had a very privileged route to the top if everything is considered. He has won numerous track titles, but he was just not good enough to convert that onto the road discipline until this year.

Graham Obree for me. He has achieved so much without the huge advantages others had/have.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite British rider(s)’ is closed to new replies.