Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • "You **** ****"
  • hora
    Free Member

Whats the etiquette with commuting on a bike?

I was pootling along in the rain this morning (no idea how fast I was going as I was day-dreaming) when a lad on a Spesh Langster overtook me, I woke up and dropped him. As I passed him he said 'you **** ****'.

Stop at lights and he passes me and says 'if your going slow you shouldn't then overtake me'….

….someone had his jam taken out of his donut this morning 😆

Jakester
    Free Member

He's right, you know… 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm- yeh but if you were in a car and you overtook someone then they put their foot down tis a bit annoying – Why did you put you foot down when you were pootling? That said I wouldn't have called you a *** **** 😯

IHN

Let's be honest, if you'd allowed yourself to be overtaken by you, wouldn't you be annoyed at yourself?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I guess overtaking someone who then takes "offense" and overtakes back could be regarded as a wee bit childish.

Oh and apparently any form of "racing" on public roads is for immature kids only…

Filthy
    Free Member

Eh was he not supposed to overtake you while you were daydreaming?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

You should have scoffed at him for being on a langster. Was he wearing his sisters jeans too?

richmtb

I know its a bit petty, but if I'm commuting and someone passes me, I always try and catch them, counts double if they RLJed.

If I can't catch them then I get fitter trying.

If I do catch them there is every possibilty that they think I'm a knob but at least I'm a fast knob 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

Maybe it was nothing to do with your riding, maybe he was an STW user who recognised you?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm with Hora on this.

He probably has a small winkie, don't worry your head about it…..
    😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

racing passig riders is for noobs. not worth commentig on tho.

DezB
    Free Member

I wouldn't've heard him due to the iPod. Still, if I'm pootling its usually cos I want to pootle, not race.

RealMan
    Free Member

Every ride is a race.

hora
    Free Member

I see it as brightning up a dull commute. I've done it before and I've been passed and beaten likewise before.

Most memorable was when I went to overtake someone, he stepped on the gas and we drag-raced. I beat him to the lights but I was breathing out of my ass and almost seeing double…as he pulled level I turned my cheek away and pretended not to be fussed 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If I were commuting near you Hora, I'd slow to let you overtake me to make you feel better.

crazy-legs

a lad on a Spesh Langster overtook me

Not guilty m'lud, I drove to work today.
    However, had I ridden in on my Langster, I would no doubt have overtaken you as well. 😉

DaRC_L

Ahh you're mistake was overtaking him – you should have just slipstreamed him and only dropped him when his efforts to shake you off had exhausted him so much that he was tooo knack'd to say anything

hora
    Free Member

Not guilty m'lud, I drove to work today.
    However, had I ridden in on my Langster, I would no doubt have overtaken you as well.

Right that does it… Its a race! :mrgreen:

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

racing passig riders is for noobs. not worth commentig on tho

**giggles**

Now I know it annoys people……. 😈

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You should've burped right in his face.

Preferably curry/garlic.

flebby
    Free Member

once overtook a roady on my flatbar roadish bike who was clearly just setting out and warming up (stretching etc..) and then a few yards up the road he came flying past me, i'm guessing just to make a point.

i remember wanting to shout **** funny enough but i'm an adult 😉

hora
    Free Member

He had earphones in but he'd removed his right one (probably to see what I'd reply)

I actually replied 'aye I bloody beat you though didn't I'.. 😆

grievoustim
    Free Member

hmmm

i've had people pass me on a climb on the commute -huffing and puffing a bit, obviously made an effort to chase and pass me. in this situation i have been known to sit on their wheel till they blow, then pass them (obv doing my best to look like i'm not trying)

i'm not very proud of myself when i do this though i have never been called a knob

Junkyard
    Free Member

As I passed him he said 'you **** ****'

Perhaps he recognised you?

theboatman
    Free Member

What is 'being overtook' ? 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Overtooken, innit?

allthepies
    Free Member

I enjoy overtaking roadies when I'm on a Borisbike. However they have to be especially poor riders for this to take place 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

opposite of undertooken

coogan
    Free Member

Never quite understood the whole racing on a commute. I had one guy come storming after me after I got passed when he got stuck in traffic, he then sat right on my rear wheel. And then failed to notice the red light when I stopped and he couldn't unclip quick enough. Uber noob lying in heap behind me. Silly roadie stopping the traffic as he tried to untangle himself from his bike…

TooTall
    Free Member

I doubt it was anyone who recognised Hora. I doubt anyone could resist the temptation to push a stick into his spokes rather than just call him a name.

sharki
    Free Member

You shouldn't of passed him, instead just catch up and keep pace with him whistling loudly a happy tune whilst he's blowing out his arse trying to up the pace.

Or in answer to his comment, "you must get that saying from your wife."

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

And you wonder why cyclists don't get along with motorists or hikers if they even make a point of not getting along with their fellow riders.
    Just saying.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Jakester – Member
    He's right, you know…

+1

robbo
    Free Member

When I was about 12 my dad convinced me it was illegal to overtake someone who had overtaken you. I thiught I'd go to jail if I did it.

He was a boring bastard though…

steve_b77
    Free Member

you may well have confused him by stopping at a red light 😆

tonyg2003

Schoolboy error. You should have sat on his back wheel and wheelsucked him. Much more annoying 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

You shouldn't of passed him, instead just catch up and keep pace with him whistling loudly a happy tune whilst he's blowing out his arse trying to up the pace.

Indeed or freewheel loudly 😐 Better still get your lunch out of your back pocket and eat it on the move while he blows wind, also a good time to take calls on your mobile.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Was overtaken on my commute home today, we hit a hill he toiled i kept up my happy cadence, he then passed on the left in traffic and was almost squeezed by a bus.

Guess he just wanted passed me.

loddrik
    Free Member

Sounds like the op acted like a tit. I'd have said the same thing if I was him. Nothing worse than idiots who want to race you, be it on the bike or a car.

edhornby

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12575770&start=21260

1000 plus pages of commuter racing !!!

I can't see what the issue is with having a bit of a duel, as long as it's safe what's the issue ? Langster boy should have put himself in a position where he could make it stick 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘"You **** ****"’ is closed to new replies.