Home Forums Bike Forum You can make one “standard” an actual standard

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • You can make one “standard” an actual standard
  • kerley
    Free Member

Because a standard is a set of agreed-upon rules, specifications, or guidelines that establish requirements and characteristics for materials, products, processes, or services. These standards are designed to ensure consistency, quality, safety, and compatibility.

It never means that there can only be one version of something.

This needs to be posted every time a standards thread is raised.  What people actually are referring to is having a universally agreed sizing (that would be a standard) for a given bike part and no manufacturers can deviate from that.  It means that nothing would change or potentially improve.  We would still be on 1 inch threaded steers are that was the universal steerer type.

Kramer
    Free Member

@jameso

We need options for axle OD and spacing like we need options for BB types, headsets and other aspects of bikes imho because a summer best road bike and a DH race bike are so different.

I’m pro sensible commonality and anti waste, anti planned obsolescence (if you change something it’d better be for good reason), but areas where a fixed industry-wide spec for parts fit works .. grip/control area OD on bars, saddle rail fixings, upper steerer OD and cable entry sizes is all I can think of at the mo.

As ever on this site, the one post of sense in the thread by someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Kramer
    Free Member

@kerley we should have settled on standardised Penny Farthings with solid tyres and avoided all this new-fangled nonsense. ;-)

sharkattack

Anything that isn’t a solid tyred Penny Farthing is just a skills compensator

Kramer
    Free Member

Including suspension saddles.

zerocool

In previous years I would have said either 73mm bottom brackets, 31.8mm bars or 148mm hubs now in the name of future proofing very expensive e-bikes I would want ebike motor mounts and battery compatiblity to be standardised across the industry so that people can chop and change to run what they want and if your motor company goes bust, discontinues your motor you can get something else.

I understand that technology changes over time but guaranteeing the same mounts for 10 years seems like a good idea.

chakaping

This needs to be posted every time a standards thread is raised.

Are you trying to standardise standards threads?

You might do better to realise it’s a light-hearted thought exercise, and perhaps even share something that winds you up a bit.

richmtb

See also UDH.

UDH is clever and anything that tries to solve the problem of the number if different derailleur hangers is a good thing, but UDH was primarily a trojan horse for SRAM Transmission

chakaping

UDH was primarily a trojan horse for SRAM Transmission

Yes, but the joke’s on them because I’m never getting electric gears

Kramer
    Free Member

Anything that isn’t a solid tyred Penny Farthing is just a skills compensator

60″ ain’t dead.

jameso

‘I’m pro sensible commonality and anti waste, anti planned obsolescence’ so

I would want ebike motor mounts and battery compatiblity to be standardised across the industry

This is a good call. Unlikely, but it should be a point of discussion in the industry. Or at least within motor/battery brands’ own parts.

jameso

UDH was primarily a trojan horse for SRAM Transmission

Some truth in that for sure. UDH controls small sprocket to frame clearances so SRAMs T type 55mm chainline cranks and cassettes run properly on a 148 hub – as I understood it on other cassettes or dropout / back end designs a 55mm CL crank doesn’t run so well since Boost was supposed to be for 53mm CL and that wasn’t perfect on a 148 rear.

I never found keeping a couple of spare hangers in a box that difficult tbh but UDH is a good thing overall. Chances it’ll stick as a design when Shimano go 13s? Place your bets.

@kramer
    thanks but I’m not so sure..

someone who knows what they’re talking about.

zerocool

I’d quite like 20mm front axles back, but not that pretty much all front wheels are 15×110 I’m happy to stay with that. Now if they could all agree on 12×148 for rear ends that would be great.

i know deep down that motor mounts won’t standardise as companies want everything to be proprietary like in the motor industry. You don’t take the brakes of your Mercedes SLK and fit them to your Ford Fiesta (do they still make these).  But it would be nice if the bike industry did standardise mounting.

kerley
    Free Member

You might do better to realise it’s a light-hearted thought exercise, and perhaps even share something that winds you up a bit.

Just seems to be people whining whenever a ‘standards’ thread is opened, mainly because they don’t really understand what a standard means.  Bit like moaning that cars have all different sizes of wheels but they are actually standard sizes in inches for diameter and width with common(ish) PCDs that have been around for a long time with some odd new standards such as metric in the early 80’s.

As for winding me up, no I don’t get wound up about bikes.

nickc

– as I understood it on other cassettes or dropout / back end designs a 55mm CL crank doesn’t run so well since Boost was supposed to be for 53mm CL and that wasn’t perfect on a 148 rear.

very nerdy article on Radavist about the messy history of Boost, 53mm and 55mm chainlines

Speeder

sharkattack
    20mm front axles on everything.

15mm should never have happened.

+1 Well said sir. All the other standards have at least some merit – the 15mm hade no sense when there was already a perfectly suitable (and better) standard available and in use on all DH forks.

ayjaydoubleyou

might have been a good idea 15 years ago, but given where we are now with existing products, cant we just standardise at 110×15?

No.   It didn’t make any sense then and it makes no sense now.  Tough **** to all those companies and individuals that adopted it. You can all buy another wheel when you change fork.

jameso

@nickc that’s the one, the article I was thinking of RE 148 hubs and 55mm cranks not running so well

5lab
    Free Member

You don’t take the brakes of your Mercedes SLK and fit them to your Ford Fiesta

you’d be surprised how often people do just this in the car modding scene. this thread has someone putting the brakes off a megane onto a fiesta -> https://www.fiestastoc.com/threads/brembo-big-brake-front-setup-mk7-or-mk8.329107/

_tom_
    Free Member

I would’ve said 20mm front axles before when I had old parts to use, but since getting a bike with 15mm I don’t seem to have any issues with it. Tbh I was fine with 135/142×12 on the rear too, I’m still not really sure what boost is supposed to solve but I have it now anyway. If they could stay like this now that would be great.

Oh and I’d make 26″ a MTB standard again and ditch 27.5″ ;) seems to be making a bit of a comeback in the freeride scene (if it ever went away) at the minute.

honourablegeorge

richmtbFull

UDH is clever and anything that tries to solve the problem of the number if different derailleur hangers is a good thing, but UDH was primarily a trojan horse for SRAM Transmission

Fair, but like a lot of things SRAM, they made it an open standard, so lots of brands could adopt it, and make use of it, and it worked with existing mech as just fine. Sure, Transmission takes a different direction, but your frame still have the benefits of UDH and compatibility with old stuff.

If anything, UDH is the best example of how to introduce a new standard – bring an improvement, don’t make anything obsolete, and pave the way for other new innovation. And it genuinely replaced lots of proprietary hangers with one universal part.

SRAM have been better at this kind of stuff historically than most – their shifter mounts are another example of them keeping stuff simple and standard (looking at you, I-Spec 1,II,II,V and EV), making new dampers compatible with old forks, etc, etc.

citizenlee
    Free Member

I’m still not really sure what boost is supposed to solve but I have it now anyway. If they could stay like this now that would be great.

Boost makes sense.

https://off.road.cc/content/feature/boost-spacing-explained-15521

5lab
    Free Member

Boost makes sense.

https://off.road.cc/content/feature/boost-spacing-explained-15521

it doesn’t make sense when 150\157x12mm had been used for the previous maybe 20 years in DH – should have just used that (like 20mm for front ends)

andeh

Metric, please

chiefgrooveguru

“ Please, please think of the singlespeeders.”

Mine’s on boost hubs with an XD driver!

44, ZS44/56 and 56 head tubes can all stay, the rest can go! (44 is good for steel, 44/56 for alloy & carbon and 56 for max adjustability).

cookeaa

TBH I think they can have it, the benefits, backwards compatibility and creation of a universal standard for Derailleur hangers is worth it IMO. (And I don’t even have a UDH frame yet).

20mm front axles on everything.

15mm should never have happened.

Meh, I would have agreed a few years ago but then TBH 15×100 was fine and originally 20×110 hub standard was generally convertible with an end cap swap.

What dismays me most is that Road/gravel is currently settled on 12×100 when there was no real reason it couldn’t have been 15×100, I suspect there will be a cynical stab at introducing yet another “gravel specific” hub standard in a few years.

The forcing in of “Boost” has meant that you can’t really have easily interchangeable Hubs between MTB/Gravel/road. Similar considerations apply at the rear, there was never really any convincing reason for 110/148mm other than to prevent the swapping of wheels between old/new MTBs and curly barred bikes.

chakaping

Road/gravel is currently settled on 12×100 when there was no real reason it couldn’t have been 15×100

Interestingly, my road bike is 15mm front.

Think it was made just as standards were settling.

My gravel bike is 100×12 though, so I can’t swap wheels between them ?

Aidy
    Free Member

Date formats. Big endian.

Daffy

You shouldn’t be allowed to parent/protect a “standard” that you introduce.  This would naturally mean that if it’s a good thing everyone migrates, but if it’s not, they won’t.  So many standards and (especially) equivalents are an attempt to avoid patents.

cookeaa

My gravel bike is 100×12 though, so I can’t swap wheels between them ?

Probably with a change of end caps, but your case sort of illustrates my point, why should anyone have to go looking for spare end caps or axle adapters? and why shouldn’t people be able to swap hubs/wheels between MTBs and curly barred bikes? They do seem to be converging in a number of ways.

Once they moved MTB forks onto 15mm, why did they continue to piss about with hub/axle standards? (Rhetorical question, The answer is almost always sales). Boost didn’t really do anything either,  apart from make sure old MTB frames became obsolete sooner and ensure parts couldn’t easily be swapped with other types of bike.

Whenever bike industry standards come up I end up thinking back to this old (11 years now) chestnut:

Joe Grainey’s whole exasperated, gaslighting act is beautiful. The best bit is that I don’t think Santa Cruz were really big enough to be in the driving seat of that particular industry wheeze, but rather than simply say, yep its basically being imposed by the real industry big boys, there’s the whole “why the resistance” (to something that ultimately means bike companies more money). 

robertajobb

Bottom Brackets. Make them ALL Press Fit, on EVERY bike.

Do you have a recommended standard for the accompanying ear defenders to stop all the creaking entering our  lugholes ?

maccruiskeen

Bit like moaning that cars have all different sizes of wheels but they are actually standard sizes in inches for diameter and width with common(ish) PCDs that have been around for a long time with some odd new standards such as metric in the early 80’s.

Well yes and no – the car tyre / wheel industry is in a mess. The way tyres dimensions are incremented is standard –  All the wheel and tyre size combos are ‘standards’ but the variety of options has got out of hand.  Tyres have become a styling tool – mid sized cars don’t have mid-sized wheels and tyres the have whatever size/shape helps the designer create a distinctive outline.  The range of tyre size required for just ‘mainstrem’ cars is crazy. Back in the 80s 10-15 sized covered most of the cars people actually drove out of a selection of about 100 sizes in production- if you didnt drive a Roller or a Ferrari. Now to cover 90% of common cars that might drive in a garage would have to stock almost 100 size, out of a 1000 or so sizes. To stock 100 sizes of tyre, one on each corner, tyres at say three price points – a garage needs to have around 1,200 tyres on hand.

Michelin had to close its Dundee factory recently, a factory making normal tyres for normal cars – not becuase people don’t buy tyres anymore but becuase they’d tooled for a bunch of common tyres sizes at certain price points and guessed it wrong.

kerley
    Free Member

They are still all standards though, i.e. a 15 inch wheel is 15 inch, a 15 inch tyre at n width will fit that wheel because of standards. And as you say they are lots of standards which is good otherwise stated wheels and tyres would not fit.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Living.

We need a single , practical minimum standard of living.

Then i will concern myself with why 1inch threaded headsets come in different crown race diameters.

andy4d

BreganteFull Member
    All bikes should be red (or no bikes should be red). It’ll make for much fairer competitive racing

“Well, you’re just opening the door to paint-doping with option 1 – red frame painted over with another, UCI-compliant colour.  Undetectable and still 24% faster”

…..and if there was only one colour allowed it would make it easier to sneak any new bike past the household financial controller therefore unilaterally increasing sales and saving the bike industry.

intheborders
    Free Member

These “standards” that people want, what about riders who aren’t “standard” – say, taller, shorter, lighter or heavier than “standard”?

Let’s say we standardise on 29″/700 wheels, short-arses with long travel bikes are going to be complaining no end, and having custom smaller wheels & tyres made for the rear.

Or take away a manufacturers ability to make Clydesdale-rated or kid-sized d components.

And for all those pushing the BSA BB, when Shimano introduced the HT2 they were absolutely s***e, no end of complaints and how Square Taper was better etc.

For me, I’m happy with innovation as personally innovation got us to bikes that properly fit me with components that survive the type & amount of riding I do.

spooky_b329

I would want ebike motor mounts and battery compatiblity to be standardised across the industry

And chargers. For a relatively modern product I (as someone who doesn’t own an ebike) imagine it would be annoying having separate and expensive chargers for each brand of bike motor/battery, especially when you add in escooters, balance wheels and even electric wheelchairs/mobility scooters.

One rugged waterproof socket standard with an intelligent voltage sensing charger and in years to come you’d be able to leave yours at the office (and share with colleagues) and your other halfs at home etc etc

argee

As previously stated on the other page, this is confusing standards with a universal standard, even if they came up with a universal standard, it has to be adopted, it doesn’t stop someone creating their own, or using a previous standard, the only way you’ll get universal standards is via law (like the EU have done in some cases) or if it’s simpler and more profitable for companies.

BruceWee

On interesting component doesn’t actually have any standard at all: tyre size.  Sure, the BSD has standards but there is no width or aspect ratio standard.

It probably doesn’t help that people run so called 2.5″ tyres on everything from 20mm to 40mm rims but there really should be a standard way of measuring the width and aspect ratio of tyres.

I don’t think it’s ever even been agreed whether the width measurement stated is the carcass width or the knobs.

ampthill

Freehubs – choose either MicroSpline or xD, don’t care which and then make 9, 10 and 11 speed groupsets that fit as well.

But the down side is that suddenly there are 2 sorts of 9, 10 and 11 speed hubs. So an area of complete compatibility has gone.

Speeder

spooky_b329
    One rugged waterproof socket standard with an intelligent voltage sensing charger and in years to come you’d be able to leave yours at the office (and share with colleagues) and your other half’s at home etc etc

Sounds like Nokias in the 90s – change is constant and nothing lasts forever.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.