• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pk13.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yes Another Camping advice thread.
  • Rscott
    Free Member

So I’m taking my other half to silverstone this weekend we are staying on the camp site and we have some creature comforts.

Inflatable bed, Table double burner chairs lanterns.

There is a bar and showers etc, but i want to stay as self sufficient as possible.

I’m used to wild camping, on bare minimal, so is there anything you d suggest taking as it will be her first time camping ever.

No tv’s or satellite kind of suggestions please.

brooess
    Free Member

Pillow. Makes a big difference to comfort IMO.
    I find Thermarest (as the name suggests) warmer than an inflatable bed which does nothing to insulate you from the cold ground, so maybe something between the sleeping bag and mattress or underneath the mattress?

Rscott
    Free Member

I was just thinking that, but the air bed we have borrowed is one of those fancy 3 layered ones, If it make a differance?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Top tip that appeased my.fussy Mrs was fleeces then a.fitted sheet over the airbed.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We put a fleece blanket over the airbed and below the bedding. If you have the space I’d take a couple of duvets and plenty of pillows instead of sleeping bags – that way she can steal all your body heat and leave you with a degree of hypothermia…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hot water bottle. Kids and mrs loved them this weekend when it dropped to 7 deg. And a top tip from my dad was stick an empty Pringle tube or similar to prop the middle of the sleeping bag up prior to the water bottle going in and it warms the whole thing up.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

A sh1t load of beer

eskay

A bog, even if it is just a bucket. Being able to have a pee inside the tent instead of getting out is a godsend especially if it is raining.

My wife reckons it is the best bit of camping gear we have. We were on the south coast of Cornwall last night with near gale force winds and driving rain, the red wine induced 2am piss was a far more pleasant experience than it could have been!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I still can’t post photos!

takisawa2

Coleman Comfort double air bed. Zip two sleeping bags together. Hot water bottles are a must. And a wee wee bucket. 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

An empty washed 4 pint plastic milk bottle filled with water – wrap a headtorch around it with light pointing in towards water = ambient glow light. Adding food colouring can moddify the light colour.

+1 for bucket (and sawdust) if you have the room.

pk13

I’ve started putting that silver space age insulation on top of the ground sheet it forms a nice layer to stop the cold coming out of the ground. Solar powered fairy lights are a favourite of my wife and are surprisingly bright in a tent

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yes Another Camping advice thread.’ is closed to new replies.