Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 197 total)
  • XTR 1×12…10-51 cassette
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

XD Driver?

If not complete idiots.

Lets see if they get the weight and price close to SRAM

wind-bag
    Free Member

It states a new free-hub body design…surprised if it’s cross compatible with SRAM xd drive though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cause if you want to get customers back from a competitor making it harder is exactly the right way of doing it, what the world needs is another 10t freehub

andrewh
    Free Member

FFS, not another hub standard.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe they’ve gone with the mini driver. It’s basically a cut down shimano freehub anyway.

finbar
    Free Member

XD is lame, I’d rather Shimano invent something new if that’s the alternative.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Shimano would have to license XD, I can’t see that happening anytime soon.

I welcome any new standard with all the enthusiasm that I can muster for a Conservative election broadcast. Let’s hope that Shimano doesn’t screw this up.

mrmo
    Free Member

and there was me hoping for some news, I had heard it was launching April, then may and now rd 3 XCO.

might be interested in this though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi4KzhfHZdK/?taken-by=weightweeniesbrasil

Although STW is probably on an embargo so will pull this.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

XD’s great. It’s only when you get crap mechanics that haven’t heard of copper grease and wrench the cassette on that it’s a problem.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

XD is lame, I’d rather Shimano invent something new if that’s the alternative.

Zero issues when lubed properly here, lots more with the previous designs, it might get them some Shimano or nothing/die fanbois over but they are coming from a long way back here so being incompatible isn’t going to help them

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Splined like centerlock….sweet

mrmo
    Free Member

and the other thing to note from the leak, a 10-45 11spd cassette,

mrmo
    Free Member
    enigmas
    Free Member

Quite excited by this, hoping it’ll be compatible with an eagle cassette and chain assuming they’re using the same spacings and chain width etc.

Once my gx eagle mech implodes again I’ll be very tempted to swap over. The other option is NX eagle is confirmed for early june and just treat the mech as a consumable (more than they already are). Might be a bit more durable being heavier than gx eagle.

joemmo
    Free Member

Shimano design inspiration.

https://youtu.be/4xgx4k83zzc

ndthornton
    Free Member

And 51 why? To be 1 more than Sram 😔.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe it’s so they can arrange pick up teeth at 17 tooth intervals in 3 sets.

ta11pau1

And 51 why? To be 1 more than Sram

Beaten to it.

Nevermind though, I don’t think Sram Eagle E-tap is too far away, will XTR 1×12 be Di2? Doubtful!

honourablegeorge

If the three black cogs on that cassette pictured are aluminium then I’m out….SRAM are miles ahead on weight with mostly steel. GX is great value for the weight.

tomhoward

Nevermind though, I don’t think Sram Eagle E-tap is too far away

production units already spotted on race bikes on the wild (NOT on Nino’s bike either) so reckon by the end of the race season. I already have the LBS on instruction to order me one the second it becomes available to them 😆

cookeaa

And 51 why? To be 1 more than Sram

Well, if you’ll excuse me, Duh!

Of course they’ve gone one more, that’s the game now innit, SRAM did 10-42 first, Shimano added an 11-46, SRAM went 10-50, so shimano have bested them with Juan Moar! Yay!

XD Driver?

If not complete idiots.

Really? In fairness shimano did have a dinky driver cassette a very long time ago, go and Google their “Capreo” groupset… Sadly they didn’t see fit to re-tool the concept for MTBs when SRAM brought out XD so we’ve had several years of SRAM fanbois boring on about the magic of Juan Less at the other end of the cog collection…

I’d like to believe this is shimano getting their shit together, delivering better quality and being about on par with features, but I think we’ll have to wait and see…

ta11pau1

production units already spotted on race bikes on the wild (NOT on Nino’s bike either) so reckon by the end of the race season. I already have the LBS on instruction to order me one the second it becomes available to them

Yeah I saw the ones on Nino’s bike, and the very recent other sightings, I’ll be sitting down when they give the price though… Looking at the current road red Etap rear mech and shifter I reckon it’ll be £600+ just for the rear mech and shifter, although that’s pretty much inline with current XTR Di2.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really? In fairness shimano did have a dinky driver cassette a very long time ago, go and

Well…. if STW is to be believed buying a new freehub is like selling a kidney so why get another new one to go Shimano 10t? It also won’t be compatible with anything else for at least 12 months maybe more.

It also doesn’t need to be different – they are offering nothing more but insisting you go their way – locking you in – again one of the many complaints about XD.

I suppose as you are starting at XTR it will be 12-24 months before it hits XT/SLX levels so you are not worried about getting GX users over, but it’s a hard justification to go from XX to XTR untested and be left with a freehub they might not even stick with.

For all the complaints about XD being different this is just pig headed by shimano.

Good luck to them, they have been off in the wilderness and cruising down the nile on 1x for the last few years.

Poopscoop

Would have been brave but also good business essence to have gone with XD compatibility.

Shame really.

Northwind

“Of course they’ve gone one more, that’s the game now innit, SRAM did 10-42 first, Shimano added an 11-46,”

11-46 is less than 10-42.

cookeaa

this is just pig headed by shimano.

Is it? I think they’ve just woken up to the way the marketplace is operating, they maintained the basic (backwards compatible) HG freehub/cassette interface for what ~35 years? Other manufacturers were able to sell their own versions, in theory a hub you bought 20 odd years ago to use with 8speed could still be used today for 11speed, did that move buy any significant customer or OEM loyalty when XD threw a cross compatibility spanner in the works?

SRAM did it first and proved customers, and more importantly OEMs will adopt new standards, even one that more users struggle to maintain, all for that one less tooth feature…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’m not that fussed about a massive gear spread, so that 10-45 cassette looks really interesting.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SRAM did it first and proved customers, and more importantly OEMs will adopt new standards, even one that more users struggle to maintain, all for that one less tooth feature…

1t which is 10%

Xd gave you something significantly different because it was a big extra gear. Now for no technical difference shimano want to add more standards for no benefits …

damascus
    Free Member

Do we really need 51?

I found 1x with a 40 was plenty. I’ve currently got a hope 46 and that’s great.

You just get used to what you ride.

The bigger we get the more problems we create.

This is just another way to make us part with our hard earned cash. They are milking us and we fall for it every time.

Just my grumpy 10 pence worth

scotroutes

It would be good if Shimano kept to the same freehub/cassette interface for road and MTB. I wonder if we’ll see changes on road components to achieve that. (In fact it would even better if all Shimano road/MTB group set components became interchangeable.)

mrmo
    Free Member

Xd gave you something significantly different because it was a big extra gear. Now for no technical difference shimano want to add more standards for no benefits …

Out of interest where is the outer most axle load bearing bearing on a Sram rear hub, on the drive side?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where you can see it… Is it a massive fail point? Or just one of those ooo I don’t like it things?

I wonder if shimano have shared the freehub specs with hope, dt, ck etc.

Edit. I guess we will know how they approach it when somebody actually sees it and puts a couple of years onto it.

mrmo
    Free Member

Where you can see it… Is it a massive fail point? Or just one of those ooo I don’t like it things?

Yes, axles used to fail in the middle in the days of blocks, one of the plus points of the shimano system was to spread the bearing as far apart as possible and better support the axle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do axles fail on xd is a better question?

thepurist

Why the big deal about a different freehub between Shimano and SRAM?  It’s not as if you can run Shimano shifters and SRAM mechs, or Shimano brakes and SRAM levers is it.    Road bikes have had the choice of Campag and Shimano freehubs for years and the world hasn’t caught fire because of it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why the big deal about a different freehub between Shimano and SRAM?  It’s not as if you can run Shimano shifters and SRAM mechs,

er you can at 11sp

The point being a lot of people made a huge fuss about XD and needing to buy a new freehub… now there is a very good 10-XX freehub design out there that has been working for about 5 years now and Shimano want a new one. I’m sure the press release what technical($$) issue they were solving there and why the innovation is driving stuff forward.

At the moment I’m more interested in if they have managed to get the price & weight in the ball park of SRAM.

If they are only entering with XTR then it’s going to be 2 years before they challenge GX and NX will be out by then and equipped on a lot of new bikes – will you get OEM XTR12 with a choice of wheels?

scotroutes

Mods – shouldn’t this thread be deleted???

Not for reasons of commercial confidentially, I’m just worried about Mike’s heath.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thanks for the concern…. Genuine questions though feel like this could be a very interesting launch when the details come in. I remember a similar hype around the Shimano dropper which some of the big fans reckoned would be a market killer 😉

Kamakazie

The 10-45 looks ideal. Currently on 11-36 10sp and feel a little extra spread would be useful at times.

Really don’t need 12sp but seems that the market will force it. Maybe a Sunrace 11sp upgrade first though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 197 total)

The topic ‘XTR 1×12…10-51 cassette’ is closed to new replies.