Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • xc racers using shorter stems on your race bikes
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

Just wondering if any of the xc racers use a 80mm stem, reason I ask is that I am just feeling my spesh epic is a touch stretched for me. was going to get a 80mm stem to replace the slightly longer one (90mm) on there, but have been getting a mixed response from people saying, it’ll be too twitchy for that type xc racing and marathon racing etc, and that’ll it’ll ruin the climbing etc. So does anyone go as short as 80mm on a race bike ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It should become more stable than twitchy. Also it’s unlikely to move your COG enough to effect climbing, and how many ultra steep climbs are there in your races?

Have the confidence to try it and use what works for you rather than listen to a load of magazine-readers who clearly have no clue.

Actually moving your saddle forward may help climbing…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

It should become more stable than twitchy

The OP is right, it will make it faster steering.
    Weather or not it makes a positive/negative difference you will probably only know when you try it.

80mm isn’t that short by modern race bike standards.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Do many use stems that short on race bikes then mtbmatt ? I thought the rule of thumb was 90mm or more for racing so you don’t stuff up the handling ? But I am not that experienced in racing terms, so no question you would be in a better position to know what really works

mtbmatt
    Free Member

It would depend on the bike frame size. Recently I’ve used 90mm stems, but thats because it is what fits with the top tubes on the bikes I’ve ridden.

If I were using a bike with a longer top tube, then I wouldn’t have anything against using a shorter stem. This is assuming the frame is the right size in the first place. No point having a frame that is too big then trying to make it fit.

onandon
    Free Member

I went from a 90 to a 60 on my Merida 96. Feels great now and I can be much more aggressive in corners.

Edric64
    Free Member

I use 110mm stems on my xc bikes cos im a lanky git

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought the rule of thumb was 90mm or more for racing so you don’t stuff up the handling ?

Like I say, just try it, rules like this are stupid.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve found swapping from a 105mm down to an 80 has made my bike climb better as it’s moved me back over the rear a little meaning I have more rear traction. My old Heckler used to raise the front but my stumpy is perfect at 80 mm.

Give it a go and don’t worry about fitting into a category.

andypaul99
    Free Member

i always thought the longer stems on xc race bikes was to get the stretched out riding position which keeps you low and aerodynamic, same thing applies to racers turning stems upside down to get even lower, doesnt a longer stem help climbing as most race bikes have a steep head angle surely with a really short stem you wouldnt have enough weight over the front wheel? just a thought…

munrobiker
    Free Member

100mm here, went up from 90mm. Feels fine to me, I’d not want shorter as I’d not have the reach I need.

jruk
    Free Member

90mm on a 24″ top tube to get the reach I need. Anything less and I’d be cramped. Do what feels right and ignore everyone else.

hh45
    Free Member

I have a 70mm on my Soul and I race that occasionally at Gorricks and Thetford and no real problems. I think the more sat up position is less conducive to working really hard but I’m not sure the handling is affected badly. The bike’s great handling is one of the reasons I like riding it generally. I don’t race it more because my Flux is lighter and has rear travel that I like fer racing.

rp16v
    Free Member

nowt wrong with it iv gone from a 100mm to a 75mm and its my sweet spot now

thomthumb
    Free Member

make the bike fit.

if it ruins it change it back. unfortunately a lot of it is trial and error.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

The bike will be a plenty stretched out enough with an 80mm on, I was only going from a 90mm anyway. The frame is the correct size (medium epic) for my 5’7″ (the small is tiny) and even for specialized the medium is for 5’5″ – 5’10” so the bike is bang on for me, and it feels so to. Just want a slightly shorter reach but without making it feel like my trail bike with a flappy front end on a 70mm stem. Hoewever the toptube is a lot shorter on my trail bike too

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I went from a 90 to a 70 on my Blur Xc with no problem.

keavo
    Free Member

75mm on all my bikes, two of which are race bikes. don’t worry about what stem length you ‘should’ on an xc bike. try it and ride what suits you.

njee20
    Free Member

+1 to all the “try it and see” comments.

GW
    Free Member

tried slamming your saddle yet?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I think long flipped stems on XC race bikes comes from the pros emulating their riding position on their road bikes, so for your average Jo it’s not really that important so as above try it and see, I use a 100mm but I’m tall (ish) and have long arms.

ac282

I tend to flip my stems as I’ve got stumpy little legs. For me it’s just about fit.

njee20
    Free Member

tried slamming your saddle yet?

Me? We’ve done this. I can’t. I have an integrated seat post. As I said when you suggested it last time.

stumpy01

downthemiddle – Member

reason I ask is that I am just feeling my spesh epic is a touch stretched for me.

If it doesn’t feel right, change it. Don’t worry about ‘the rules’. If it works, fine. If it doesn’t, change it back…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘xc racers using shorter stems on your race bikes’ is closed to new replies.