Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • XC front tyre question
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Doing a bit more on the 29er XC bike and have a Ralph on the front. Been a bit spoilt and got use to riding with a Minion DHF on the 26″ trial bike. Feels like the Ralph lacks bite when I shove it into a corner. Doesn’t seem to want to drop onto it’s side in the same way either. Not especially loving it.

So, any recommendations for something light and fast rolling like a Ralph, but with a bit more bite when leant over? Or should I just MTFU, learn the tyre, and get on with it?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ron

mrblobby
    Free Member

I like one word answers 🙂 I had been looking at the Ron. Thought the profile would be much like the Ralph so wasn’t overly keen. Seems to be well rated though, might give it a go.

Any more?

otsdr
    Free Member

X-King

jimdubleyou

Nic

iainc

purg

Kryton57

Ron

+1

Faster than everything posted so far, grippy, sheds mud, and if you are nervous get the snakeskin on the front.

Last year I only used 1 other tyre on the front – a beaver – all year, and then only for one race.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Crossmark? Nice knobby edges, smooth rolling middle.

ferrals
    Free Member

+2 on the Ron, seems to work equally well on on slippery limestone bed rock as it does in mud and fast in the dry too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

X-King

Don’t know much about Conti MTB tyres, shall check it out.

Nic
    purg

Too heavy and slow.

Ron
    +1
    +2

I’d probably get the Liteskin one, quite an expensive experiment though. May see if anyone local is running one I could try.

Crossmark? Nice knobby edges, smooth rolling middle.

Would be nice to try but they all look a bit heavy.

iainc

Nic
    purg
    Too heavy and slow.

really ? I thought they were meant to be quite fast ?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ralph’s are uber round, for bite you want something with a squarer profile and some actual side knobs. If you take a look at most Scwalbe tyres the actual design of the tread doesn’t give much thought to actually “gripping” dirt and relies on sticky rubber to do the job. I always thought Spec Captains had a really good edge you could lean on, not super fast though and I don’t think you can get ’em anymore. Currently using Vittoria Peroti’s, I like ’em. Maybe a bit less edge grip than Captains but moar than Ralphes IMO, where they shine is their predictability, really nice Minion esque slide ability for an XC tyre.

richmtb

Ardent Race

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ralph’s are uber round

Yes. Assumed that the Ron would be much the same.

Vittoria Peroti’s, Maybe a bit less edge grip than Captains but moar than Ralphes IMO, where they shine is their predictability, really nice Minion esque slide ability for an XC tyre.

Sounds promising.

really ? I thought they were meant to be quite fast ?

Heavy though, ~800g.

Ardent Race

Looks like a good option. Shall check it out.

jonnyrockymountain

bontrager XR3 2.2 team issue

Rorschach
    Free Member

Liteskin is like tissue paper

Kryton57

Monkeyfudgers post depends on whether you are a “leaner” or not. I’m not, and don’t get on with tyres with a largish transition from the last 3/4 of the tread to the outer edge – high rollers for instance.

Hences, Ron’s are perfect for me. The heavier tyre I use for Trail centres is the Hutchinson Hardskin RR. Its brilliant, does have prominent edge yet minimal transition but is too heavy for racing at 750g claimed vs the Rons 550 – thats 1/2lb difference in just one tyre.

jolmes
    Free Member

Ikon?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Monkeyfudgers post depends on whether you are a “leaner” or not. I’m not, and don’t get on with tyres with a largish transition from the last 3/4 of the tread to the outer edge – high rollers for instance.

Sorry, thought I’d made that clear in my OP. Like a clear transition over to the side of the tyre. If it doesn’t have one I just find the tyre vague and feel like I don’t know what it’s doing. Just got the impression that Schwalbe tyres (Ron and Ralph anyway) would both be much the same in that regard.

Ikon?

Have looked at the Ikon. Any experiences?

timb34
    Free Member

I always thought Spec Captains had a really good edge you could lean on, not super fast though and I don’t think you can get ’em anymore.

Ground Control replaces the Captain. Bit rounder edge and much faster than it looks. I’ve had one (in Control casing) on the front for ages and I like it.

brassneck

Does heavy and slow matter too much on the front? If it’s not actually a race bike I’d take that over winter to be honest, and take the extra security.

EDIT: Have Ikons. They aren’t a winter tyre, might be OK on the back but as it’s my first winter with them (and 29″) I’ll let you know. First thoughts are something with a bit more bite might be needed when it gets properly soggy.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It is a tyre for a race bike for XC racing, so weight is important.

The Ground Control actually look pretty good, not too heavy either in s-works guise. Not listed as XC race tyre though. Too draggy?

rsvktm

Used Thunder Burts front and rear in the latter part of last season, very fast rolling and find the transition onto the side more confidence inspiring than the Ikon I had been using. Running on American Classic race wheels that give them bit more volume and ability to run lower pressures than I would normally.

njee20
    Free Member

A Ron has less on the shoulders than a Ralph – if you find you can’t get a Ralph to bite when you throw it in I think a Ron will disappoint.

sweaman2
    Free Member

As you say if you’re coming from a DHF I think you’re going to find most XC race tires a little less grippy. From the sounds of it though you like the Maxxis style so I’m going to suggest the Ignitor. I have it on a singlespeed and find it compares well to the DHF I’m also running on the trail bike on the downs from a grip and predictability stand-point.

Caveat though is that I don’t use either bike in slop so I’ve got no idea how it’d handle a wet Gorrick type course…

Clobber
    Free Member

Dirt wizard

robcolliver
    Free Member

Kenda Small Block 8’s do me for pretty much everyting.

Folks look at them and say ‘they can’t possibly grip’, but they got me 4 laps of the South Downs Way and Banff to Mexico with only one fall and that was in snow!

They settle tubeless without much fuss, are light and their only downfall is that I can’t get them to grip on green chalk….

mrblobby
    Free Member

A Ron has less on the shoulders than a Ralph – if you find you can’t get a Ralph to bite when you throw it in I think a Ron will disappoint.

That was the impression I had of the Ron. Shame.

Tough getting tyre advice. One persons favourite grippy tyre is another persons lethal slidey death trap!

sweaman2
    Free Member

One persons dry trail is anothers muddy beyond belief. I occasionally show Canadian friends photos of Mayhem from a muddy year (2006ish) and they can’t believe we actually raced in those conditions.

mattyfez

I went from ron evo all round to a ralph performance on the rear after I trashed the ron.

Deffo more eager to step out at the rear.. Not sure how much of that was performance compound vs evo compound.

My ralph is almost bald along the centre tread so I’ve got another ralph, evo this time to replace it (merlin cycles are selling ralph evo 26ers for 25 quid at the mo by the way, free postage and it arrived next day, very pleased).

That said I’m running slightly wider rims now and that does make a big difference, the cross section is more like a car tyre than a light bulb shape on the narrow rim.. Big big difference.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Ralph

helpful1
    Free Member

Kenda BBG

Trust me. if you’re looking for a tyre that corners in the dry like a minion. it’s the fastest (in a straightline) tyre you’ll find with the same cornering characteristics. it drifts even better and more predictably than a minion too. albeit easier.

Don’t go running it with silly fashion width rims and ruining the already very square profile now though will you?

mrblobby
    Free Member

dirtyrider, it’s the Ralph that I’m not that happy with 🙂

Ah maybe I just need to get a Ron and get use to it.

Kenda BBG

Not looked at Kenda tyres for years. Never been a fan but shall pop over to their website and have a look.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

maybe you just need to get used to the Ralph 😉

helpful1
    Free Member

if you can’t find one. Try a Specialized Slaughter

mrblobby
    Free Member

maybe you just need to get used to the Ralph

Would probably be quicker than finding a new tyre I like.

mattyfez

Personally I think a ralph is a little too slick for a front hence I’m sticking with the ron which I’m happy with, but i guess it depends on your riding/style.

Sticking with ralph up back for now albeit an evo rather than a performance model as whilst a little bit more sketchy (or maybe the evo isn’t, dunno till I fit it) than the ron, it’s theoretically a better (faster) rear tyre.

I guess that’s part of the beauty though.. You can mix and match to your personal preferences.

rp16v
    Free Member

Looking at the same myself have xkings f+r ATM finding great on everything apart from slimy stone

mattyfez

Indeed I’ve almost ended up going for a swim on more than one occasion in wet weather when the tyres have a slimy mud film on them going under cobbly canal bridges on ralphs /rons.

Not sure how any tyre would fair that well in that situation though… Maybe a more burly knobby wider tyre with lower pressure.. But then it would be a drag the rest of the time.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Hutchinson Toro front and Python II rear

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘XC front tyre question’ is closed to new replies.