Home Forums Bike Forum XC events in the north

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XC events in the north
  • dansat
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend any XC races/events taking place for the rest of summer? I’m new to it so preferably something beginner friendly. I live in Leeds so something in the north ideally

DickBarton

Scottish XC race series is on, but suspect that may be too North for you…

pothead
    Free Member

New XCO Race Series for 2024! – Run By Northern Downhill

No idea if these races actually happened or if they plan to run any next year but worth keeping an eye on

Gribs

It’s the national championships at Dalby next weekend. Entries close tonight.

bill-oddie
    Free Member

Yeah Dalby may be the last opp for this year to race in north of england. The other series have all run in May/ June / July multiple cancellations sadly.

Just don’t enter the actual champs if its your first race! Or i wouldn’t anyway…did try once….ha did not get many laps before i was lapped out by the pros!

The Saturday Open race is probably a good one to do though. Same deadline i think as the champs

snotrag

I’m afraid you’ve somewhat missed the boat – I’m also in Leeds and did a few events last year and this, most series run from Winter into May/June.  the National champs this weekend at Dalby is pretty much the last event I can see.

In the future, look out for the Crank It XC series and also the Focus Rides series which runs somewhat ad-hoc over in Lincolnshire so not too far.

If you can get there, there is also the Midweek MtB Madness races over in Manchester/Lancashire.

I’m now building myself up to doing Glentress 7 for the first time at the end of August.

ossify

If you can get there, there is also the Midweek MtB Madness races over in Manchester/Lancashire.

I did these a couple of years ago, it was great. Can’t find much info about them this year, I think they’re mainly managed on Facebook which I don’t use. This seems to be the next (last?) one:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/298619/Midweek-Madness-2024—Chorlton-Water-Park

bill-oddie
    Free Member

Yep midweek madness ran this year its now done. Nearest one they do to Leeds is probably Lee quarry. Mainly in parks around Manchester. Really enjoyed Bolton midweek race this year. Awesome course with natural dh’s

There is also a welsh xc series  which has some northern rounds so not that far from Leeds but think they struggled for numbers this year which is a shame. Thats also finished now.

Midlands and Nutcracker (northern xc) series both seem to have been wound down sadly so options for xc racing really dwindling. I think its just going to keep reducing until very niche.

Crankit one mentioned above had a Leeds round that was cancelled this year. Plus one in rother valley also cancelled:(

I blame gravel bikes!!! Maybe get one of those and get ready for cx season starting in September? Its a shame almost all the gravel events are not really races in the sense of mass start, elbows out etc

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does anything still happen up at the Dales Bike Centre or is what was XC now Enduro?

snotrag

Ard Rock is in two weeks based out of the Dales Bike Centre, a huge event and running that probably takes more effort than running an entire season of XC racing so can’t imagine they will do much else!

dansat
    Free Member

Dissapointing, will bear in mind for next year. The dalby one might have been good but have missed the deadline and probably could do with some training. Any recommmendations for anywhere in the country welcome then!

bill-oddie
    Free Member

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/301900/The-Mid-Lands-Off-Road-Collective-R1

I did notice this series which I believe is intended for adults as well as youths in the oldest category. But its quite a long way to go from Leeds for what looks like quite a low key thing. Certainly i won’t be going!

snotrag

@dansat I just spotted the Open/Fun category at Dalby appears to have ‘enter on the day’ option.

I’m gonna check via email but I might give it a bash. I was fancying going up for a watch, but heck, bikes are for riding, be good to just try not come last. Saturday afternoon. Some of the fun red bits.

snotrag

You can enter the Open Fun race on the day, normally around an hour for the winning time and 1 less lap than Sport.

Tech Guide attached with full timetable.

Kind regards

Mark Nulty​​​​
    Competition Officer MTB XC, CX

Practice opens at 11.30am. £20 quid cash on the day.

Any other STWers fancy it? Course uses some of the good bits at Dalby… I’m going to do it on my trail bike!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.